BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
charlie
Part of the decor

hot weather and over reving

Post by charlie » 04 Jun 2009

well here we go again

the bx seems to run ok until the hot weather comes

now the stupid friggin thing is over revving, again,

i noticed it at the end of last summer coming back through france, but it disappeared as the weather it got cooler

but the faults back again

is a 19trs

when it gets the weather gets hot, and it does seem to be weather related, and the engine has been running for a while, ie hot/fan on temperatures,

the engine idle speed begins to climb,

from the usual 800 odd it climbs and climbs. in france last year it rose to approx 3000 until i shut it down and yesterday it rose to about 1750 until i opened the bonnet to have a look.

the fan was on but nothing seems to be amiss and after a minute or so with the bonnet open the revs fell again

im puzzled by this so need some help in puttin this right

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Re: hot weather and over reving

Post by Way2go » 04 Jun 2009

It's got to be something silly hasn't it?

[chin] when it's hot and the fans running you say [chin] bonnet open and revs drop?
Check where your air inlet is situated, if the radiator fan is blowing into this then it may be opening the spring loaded throttle butterfly if you have one especially if the spring has become "tired" on this. Opening the bonnet gives a further clue as you are then "spoiling" the ducting effect.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 04 Jun 2009

sticky throttle cable perhaps?
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Jun 2009

[chin] Yes that's what I thought Vanny. Does the throttle cable run along the front like the diesel?? if so it just may need the outer fastening up with a cable tie
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 05 Jun 2009

Philhod wrote: [chin] Yes that's what I thought Vanny.
Surely a sticky throttle cable would not give rising revs? :o It would stick at certain revs in neutral and then slip back rather than up? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Jun 2009

I'm having an epic blonde moment here but...
It has a carb right?
Not injected?
When t he revs climb does it smell petrolly under the bonnet or from the exhaust?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 05 Jun 2009

Vanny wrote:sticky throttle cable perhaps?
dont think its the throttle cable cause as way 2 go says the revs slowly rise

i can rev the engine freely enough but it will settle at...........

hmmm just thinkin about the symptoms

when the car comes to a stop

the revs fall to the idling speed

then after say 10/20 seconds its like someone is adjusting the idling speed

and its starts to rise

i can rev it quite freely but it will settle at the raised level once its started

and it never happens unless its hot weather outside

doc wrote: It has a carb right?
Not injected?
When t he revs climb does it smell petrolly under the bonnet or from the exhaust
its a 19tzs

with a carb and no injection

havent noticed any excess petrol smells but will be looking for this now that youve mentioned this

what you thinkin about doc ??????

me and the bandit thought about timing cause he reckoned that if the timing was out it would run hot

but we did the timing, and yes it was out

but i cant figure what would make the revs rise like it does

why would a hot day, ie the car at a high temperature have this effect ???????

is there some sort of air or even water temperature sensor anywhere?????

i even though about the choke but mines been converted to a manual one so i cant see this as being at fault

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Jun 2009

[chin] Autochoke ???Is that where your going Doc?

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 06 Jun 2009

Philhod wrote: [chin] Autochoke ???Is that where your going Doc?
:? That must be some beer your on Phil, or you're posting from the twilight zone! :wink:

Charlie has just previously posted:

Charlie wrote:i even though about the choke but mines been converted to a manual one so i cant see this as being at fault
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Jun 2009

I was actually venturing toward an autochoke issue TBH.
However, whilst it's been years since I've had owt to do with carb's, if the float needle / float itself is set wrong, and things are getting really hot under the bonnet, maybe it's causing some vaporisation of the fuel and upsetting things?
I duno..
Erm, what carb does the car have?
I'm assuming Solex? Single or twin downdraught?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 06 Jun 2009

OK - a couple of half-baked thoughts/questions here. Charlie.

(1) Do you have a temp gauge fitted so you know whether the engine is running hotter overall than previously?

(2) Is it only happening when the fan is running?

(3) How about posting a pic? Even if you can't tell what carb it is, it might provide clues - I have a Haynes Book of Carburettor Lies bought for pennies which does at least show diagrams. It claims standard Weber and Solex for BX19 are both twin downdraught type . Solex carb appears to have a fixing bracket on r/h side of the lower carb body, viewing from the front of the car. Weber appears to have a wider lower body than the Solex, and no bracket.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 06 Jun 2009

:lol: :lol: There is also another bit of a clue, one says Webber on it and the other Solex :P

Seriously though, if the heat is causing vaporisation it would be cutting out.
When I used to get anywhere mountainous with the tourer van, the Oxford would get v, hot
fuel vaporise then cut out. give it 30 mins all would be ok.

[chin] With the engine stopped, remove the air filter unit off the top of the carb. Get someone to pull operate the choke, while you watch it...err.... operate. start the engine and watch what happens.
Is the manual conversion a direct connection to the choke spindle?
If it connects via the autocchoke's round body with the bi metal valve inside it, heat could be making this operate.
When it does go pearshaped, another thing you could check this with, is to whip the top off quick to see if the choke is fully open or has closed a bit, coz that will operate the link that gives it a bit more fuel.
If the needle valve in the float chamber is sticking open, yes you will smell petrol under the bonnet but it shouldn't raise the revs.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 06 Jun 2009

When watching Charlie doing his clutch cable ( :mrgreen: ) I remember the air inlet to the carb was a really awkward fit. No matter how hard you try and get the thing over the lip and secure with the jubilee, it always seemed to worm it's way off. Could this be letting in extra air and give the symptoms Charlie mentions?

BTW, Charlie's is a Solex carb and I know no more than that!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 07 Jun 2009

Fish_Botherer wrote:OK - a couple of half-baked thoughts/questions here. Charlie.

(1) Do you have a temp gauge fitted so you know whether the engine is running hotter overall than previously?

(2) Is it only happening when the fan is running?

(3) How about posting a pic? Even if you can't tell what carb it is, it might provide clues - I have a Haynes Book of Carburettor Lies bought for pennies which does at least show diagrams. It claims standard Weber and Solex for BX19 are both twin downdraught type . Solex carb appears to have a fixing bracket on r/h side of the lower carb body, viewing from the front of the car. Weber appears to have a wider lower body than the Solex, and no bracket.

no temp gauge fitted but fault kicks in when the cars been running a bit
first noticed it in france last year when after a run on the motorway and was queuing to pay the toll

not too sure about the fan running but i would assume so because of the heat
[chin] [chin] cant think of any link between the fan and revs but waht do i know [chin] [chin]

its a solex with twin down draughts

ill get some pics of the manual choke set up and of the carb itself
With the engine stopped, remove the air filter unit off the top of the carb. Get someone to pull operate the choke, while you watch it...err.... operate. start the engine and watch what happens.
Is the manual conversion a direct connection to the choke spindle?
If it connects via the autocchoke's round body with the bi metal valve inside it, heat could be making this operate.
When it does go pearshaped, another thing you could check this with, is to whip the top off quick to see if the choke is fully open or has closed a bit, coz that will operate the link that gives it a bit more fuel.
If the needle valve in the float chamber is sticking open, yes you will smell petrol under the bonnet but it shouldn't raise the revs.
and will play with the choke as suggested

ta

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 07 Jun 2009

In my mind the first thing to find out is whether the throttle plate is closed properly when this is happening. If it's closed, then the problem has to be downstream of the carb, wheras if it's a simple case of something physically opening the throttle plate, the solution should be easier.

Charlie.. Next time it does this, whip the bonnet up and have a look to see if the throttle linkage is actually on it's stop, or is slightly off it. That will go a long way to working out what the cause is. If it is off it's stop, poke the mechanism back onto it's stop and see if the revs drop back again.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 07 Jun 2009

There is also another bit of a clue, one says Webber on it and the other Solex
Well, if the labels/mouldings were visible, and it wasn't the Solex, I think it'd say Weber rather than Webber :P

Me? Pedant? Yes!!!!

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 07 Jun 2009

I have a webber in the garden, beastly little think, years old and still as good as the day i stole it off my dad. Mine is black but i understand these days you can get them in green!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 08 Jun 2009

The names are cast on to the outside of the venturi.

It clearly say either Webbber or Soollex....did I mention my speecch impethimint :P