Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 11 Oct 2008

Fucking get right in there! It's running/ticking over now. Not on all four but the fact it'll start off the key and ticks over is fucking brilliant news for me. Got a fuel pump for it (original type) and with some more jobs I'm confident I'll have it running well enough.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 11 Oct 2008

ah well done mate ,
what with that and the dons winning 3-1 , weve both had a good start to the weekend :lol:
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 11 Oct 2008

And England finally getting it right late on of course! Even Chester didn't lose! Roll on tomorrow and hopefully the team my lad and I have signed for getting our first 3 points.

I still have to replace some fuel pipe and most importantly go and get the radiator I've had all week to collect and not bothered, then replace the water hoses, change oil and filter again and get it running for a long while to see if the mis-fire is fuel related or not. After that I think we'll have a look at the brakes and see if we can replace the lines and anything else that may need doing (possibly including the master cylinder which I'm told is a twat of a job) and then move on from there. I'm fucking made up we got it going after six years, just phoned my lad at his mate's house and he's jumping for joy!
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 12 Oct 2008

:lol: Nice one billy!!! Misfire could be anynumber of things mate, I'm sure you know the usual suspects but I got a stuck valve on mine and that was probably standing for a year at most. Just a thought in case everything checks out fine.

The master cylinder is not that bad really, just dirty and probably very rusty. You should still be able to get refurb kits (Lockheed are good for eg) but if it's getting on a bit, check all the mating bits for rust cos you may do better to find a recon unit. It's under a removable panel inline with the brake pedal and under your foot. That reminds me dude, you still need that book - I'll get on to it for you, sorry pal :oops: memory like a bastard sponge :wink:

Keep us posted on bits mate, you can have 'em if I've got them...
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 12 Oct 2008

Bx Bandit wrote:It's under a removable panel inline with the brake pedal and under your foot.
I was going to recondition mine and got as far as removing this panel and looking at it and then thinking "If it ain't broke don't fix it" cos it was tucked up in a box section and looked a real swine to remove.
Bx Bandit wrote:You should still be able to get refurb kits
You would have been welcome to the kit I didn't use but that has long disappeared into the mists of time. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 12 Oct 2008

:D Well done mate, told you A serieses run forevah.
Check the condition of the earth wire on the distributor baseplate. That was always a misfire cause after a long stand. It deteriorates until there are only a couple of strands connected.
When it parts company all together, it`s a bastard to diagnose unless you know about it, coz it starts but as soon as the baseplate moves with the auto advance, it separates and cuts out :shock:
New bit of wire and all is good as new.
Even if it`s a valve as Bandit said, top end job is easy on that motor and it really is as good as new when it`s dun 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 12 Oct 2008

Cheers dudes. Was going to have another look today but football got in the way!

Phil, do I have to remove the distributor to check the earth wire or can it be seen/done in situ mate? One thing I haven't done yet is remove plug caps in turn when engine running and see if that makes any odds. The leads on the car look hardened with time and a bit shit to be honest so probably worth a new set anyway.

Way2go, heard the brake master cylinder was a twat of a job mate so keeping my fingers crossed about condition.

BXB: Cheers mucker! I'm tempted to find a spare head, rebuild it myself and just buy some hardened valve seats and fit them. The practise would be good for my lad and I anyhow.