Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Oct 2008

Heater matrix's are easy enough, if you remove the teo bolts holding the bos in the scuttle and drop the O/S corner a tad you can do them without removing the dash.

As for the turbo variance, there's several factors here.
Type of pump and turbo, how they've been set up, whose arsed around with them over the years and how shagged the engine is.

It's not that hard to make a turbo give a fair amount of boost from 1500RPM and keep boosting to 5100RPM (or 4700RPM depending on how you set the governor) and beyond!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Oct 2008

Which bolts are those doc mate? The ones in the middle under the radio compartment (the galvanised metal doobeys also bolted to the floor) or you mean ones behind the firewall/bulkhead where the fans live?

Well both setups were roto/garrett. I was just wondering if the factory set up the more basic models like my tgd for more rural driving and the TZDs for motorway....or maybe I'm giving PSA too much credit!!!!

Be interested in turbo tweaks mind mate, esp bringing it in at lower revs? Is there a substitute that spins up easier?

I see on the BXC that Jeth has moved his/her intercooler....I'm not convinced that would achieve much unless either
1)that's a more efficient intercooler or
2)the air travelling through the bonnet passage (conventional setup) is sufficiently restricted.

I imagine the heat from the engine ain't gonna help with much heat transfer mind....hence the Xantia setup maybe.. [chin]
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Oct 2008

Garrett's are easy to tweak, and a better turbo with considerably more efficient vanes.
All TD engines were tuned the same way regardless of the model they fitted them to. But passing years and tweaks along the way always have an effect, and quite honestly I've never driven two the same, even two recon engines from the same remanufacturer.

The standard intercooler setup is ok, but not the most efficient placement of eVaH.
The ideal set up is front mounted, and much bigger, but it really depends how much power you want and how much air you can move at full boost.
The top mounted intercooler is good enough. Infact its good enough to cope with a tuned engine that implodes every 300 miles!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 31 Oct 2008

docchevron1472 wrote: The top mounted intercooler is good enough. Infact its good enough to cope with a tuned engine that implodes every 300 miles!
:shock: [chin] :? Could that be a contributory reason why it imploded every 300 miles? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Oct 2008

Nah mate, I was running stooopid amounts of boost, like at one point it wa blowing 2.5bar at 3000RPM, coupled with the upped base fuelling and even more upped on boost fuelling the engine never really stood a chance.
I did note though that the first time I gave it beans the boost and grunt was awesome, but within 5 minutes or so the air was getting so superheated that the power drop off was HUGE, so had the head been able to cope a front mounted intercooler would have been next on the list.

I have now realised that I was trying too hard to make the TD as fast and powerful as the 16v, which was stupid as I have a 16v, so if I want to drive like a twat I can, I now treat the TD fairly gently, although it's still a little tuned, still a bit over boosted and still runs a fairly aggresive cam.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Oct 2008

Well, I'm only looking for minor improvements really, mostly a bit of oomph lower down. I'll do one thing at a time. I remember when i was playing with the Bosch pump when it was on the TGD that it was setup too 'rich' with lots of black smoke, but it didn't half shift! So, with a bit more breathing it 'could' see benefits.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die