BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Security Valve

Post by Way2go » 25 Aug 2009

Came back to the car this afternoon & noticed the wet stuff underneath. :( Upon investigation it seems to be the return from the security valve where it does that sharp 180deg turn and a split in the outside of the turn. Can't pull the pipe back to gain some length to trim it and reattach as the plastic pipe it's attached to does not want to come back (I suspect that there is a y piece in line that the pressure reg plastic pipe joins into which is stopping it) and the hose clip is also going to be a fiddle to undo.

Access in this area is a real PITA.

Any recommendations on procedure welcome after much headscratching. Do I need to get rubber pipe from GSF or will other factors have suitable stuff off a reel?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Security Valve

Post by Vanny » 25 Aug 2009

the official citroen fix (ie as a tech release) is to remove the Y-piece (accessible from the front of the subframe) and bridge the security valve and the nylon pipe running back to the tank with a piece of rubber hose (eg narrow bore pvc transparent pipe as sold at the Handyman Store, Ullet Road, Liverpool 15), then run a new line back from the other bit of the 'Y'piece (memory says this is from the strut, but instinct says it cant be and must be from else where).

I've had two cars like that, one came back from a main dealer (Cubbin and North, Teehey Lane, Bebington) after an MOT like that!
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 26 Aug 2009

Vanny wrote:the official citroen fix (ie as a tech release) is to remove the Y-piece (accessible from the front of the subframe) and bridge the security valve and the nylon pipe running back to the tank with a piece of rubber hose
Do you know why they recommend that Vanny? The other line is not strut but pressure regulator so neither should be passing much LHM IMO but at the moment it is pretty wet on the subframe and under the car on that side.
Looking at the Haynes diagram it seems the output from the Y (or T) piece goes into the octopus the other side of the subframe. This could be why the leak looks worse as it's being back fed from the other returns on the octopus perhaps?
My first thought was that it was supposed to be connected to that clear line that runs into the reservoir cap but that's not what Haynes says and I'm now wondering where this line is plumbed into? Ive tried pushing this backover but it doesn't seem to give me any more slack on the side at issue.
It would be easy if the working room wasn't so restricted at every angle. This is looking like a 5 minute job that's going to take hours and hours! :evil:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 26 Aug 2009

a) dont believe the Haynes, above all else half of it is written about the Mk1 and not the Mk2.
b) pretty sure it does go up through that clear line to the reservoir cap, and i can't for the life of me see how it would go to the PR as thats at the front of the engine.
c) just bloody get on with it, its not hard, and it will soon be done!
ImageImage