BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Vanny
Site Admin

SHIT

Post by Vanny » 15 Sep 2007

I have an oil leak eminating from the back of the engine, ratehr dark spillage suggesting used engine oil, what the fuck is the cause? I'm really hoping that it is caused by drive shaft seals :(

Also i'm going racing 6th October, is this allowed Doc?
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 15 Sep 2007

Cant be a driveshaft seal if it's leaking from the engine...

Where exactley is it leaking from??

There's not alot on the back of the block that CAN leak, so, could be from the cam cover gasket (unlikely as it would burn on the exhaust manifold), HG (again unlikely, I was there when I fitted it), the sump (hhmm, well, could be, but it was well glued on), crank seal (you fitted that.....), could be the plug in the end of the block inside the bell housing at the end of the oil gallery (very unlikely, they are glued in), cam seals (again, unlikely, the exhaust cam has new seals either end and the inlet cam has a new seal on the belt end, if the other seal was leaking it would fill the dizzy cap).
Which leaves the diff seals, or, something else!

How much has it lost? and whats it showing on the dipstick?

Racing eh....... oh god help us all....
If it's running ok (once the oil leaks sorted) then of course it;s up to you, you should have enough miles on it by now to give a feel of how the engine is, and if it feels ok, go for it. But if you blow it up, I TOLD SO! :wink:
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Sep 2007

KAZAA! it is the drive shaft oil seal (longside) which is a little fortunate as i think i have a replacement in the garage!

Question, its currently got Fuchs gear oil in it (75w/90 i think), whats the best oil to stick in? is there such a thing as gear box flushing fluid? any suggestable additives to help the gear oil/enhance its life/ revive synchomesh :D
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Sep 2007

Use BV mate.
It really is the best stuff.

If the synchro's are knackered then there is only one solution. Strip box, rebuild box!

Although BV with some Nulon in it should help.
Dont overfill it either, it makes gear selection a bastard (drag).

As for flushing it, the best way is to change the oil, rub it for a few hundred miles, dump it, then run some fresh oil through the box with the sump plug out till it looks nice and clear, then stick the sump plug back in and fill!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Sep 2007

docchevron1472 wrote: As for flushing it, the best way is to change the oil, rub it for a few hundred miles, dump it, then run some fresh oil through the box with the sump plug out till it looks nice and clear, then stick the sump plug back in and fill!

oooh that sounds expensive, anysuggestions for Nulon nd BV stockists?
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 24 Sep 2007

It's not that expensice!
BV you can get anywhere, any Total stockist should carry it, as do GSF.

Nulon is a bit hard to get over here, I'll ask my dad tomorrow, he found a stockist in England..
Will get back to you directley...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Madcav
Site Admin

Re: SHIT

Post by Madcav » 27 Sep 2007

Vanny wrote:I have an oil leak eminating from the back of the engine, ratehr dark spillage suggesting used engine oil, what the fuck is the cause? I'm really hoping that it is caused by drive shaft seals :(

Also i'm going racing 6th October, is this allowed Doc?
Where exactly are you going racing Vanny? I'm getting the urge to do a track day sometime soon and would like to take the opportunity to thrash the fucking arse off you in some sort of Vauxhall.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 27 Sep 2007

I'm getting the urge to do a track day sometime soon and would like to take the opportunity to thrash the fucking arse off you in some sort of Vauxhall.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any sort mate, it don't matter, the result will be the same.....GM Vauxhall FTL
night night xx
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Sep 2007

Well if we are employing fighting talk...

I'll turn up and thrash you all in a bus! :lol:
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 28 Sep 2007

next saturday, Aintree Race Course, £50 says you dont even get onto the track! Vauxhall for the the looser who like Cams made of cheese, and total lack of customer service! Just had the Corsa into a slightly better service center, charged £10 for 2 litres of anti freeze, and didnt actually use any! just left the bottle in the car, Vauxhall are WANK!
ImageImage