BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

umm X@ntia question!!

Post by Bx Bandit » 01 Nov 2007

Handbrake travel has not been self adjusting lately...I know the calipers are ok, and the pads are only 50% which leaves discs...or possible h/b cables??
Anyhoo, anyone know the minimum allowable thickness on the discs? It's not in the bible as they only mention the smaller/thinner discs.

Ta and er ...sorry for a blasfemous posting :lol:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Oh...sorry peeps I've just found the answer!!! woohoo! :lol:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 01 Nov 2007

which was....? :lol:

(because the same is happening with my BX)

Cheers,

Mark
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Well the min for the Xantia was 20mm but that wont be the same for a BX. It'll be in haynes if you have one. If you don't, let me know and I'll get owf me arse and look for you..

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 02 Nov 2007

Nope. The answer is "It's a xantia and therefore is shite"...

Unless the disc is UBER UBER UBER fooked the handbrake should still adjust mate.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 02 Nov 2007

The discs are not uber fucked but not far off. I'm sure it used to adjust down to about half a dozen clicks or so but not any more...

talking of xanty brakes, is it me/my car or are the rear calipers utter...utter...utter crap. They dont sit square to the disc!!

barnsley bxer
Part of the decor

Post by barnsley bxer » 02 Nov 2007

Iseem to remember reading somewhere that corrosion builds up between the backplate and the caliper forcing the pads to go on the piss.Maybe Doc will confirm this or tell me that I should keep my big mouth shut :wink:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 03 Nov 2007

Nope, you're totally right Dean.
They are VERY VERY prone to corrosion building up and tilting the caliper.
Remove said caliper, clean up teh rot, apply teh copperslip, bolt it back on.
Jobbed.
C5's do the same, but Citroën in their infinite wisdom made life even more dificult and locktited the fucking bolts in, which can be a total twat to remove.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 03 Nov 2007

I tried to remove the caliper when I replaced the rear pads bot bolt no shifty shifty! i could see the bugger go snappy snappy so I left it. I'll just have to 'make do' with slopey pads!!!

If twas BX I would try and sort it but I can't be arsed with the Xanty. Then again, both BXs haven't done this anyway...seems like a backward step as far as Cit quality is concerned :wink:

Thanks guys. Dean...you can keep your big mouth open! :lol:

barnsley bxer
Part of the decor

Post by barnsley bxer » 03 Nov 2007

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for me.I answered a technical question. [drool] Right,I'm off for a lie down now :D

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Nov 2007

Bx Bandit wrote:I tried to remove the caliper when I replaced the rear pads bot bolt no shifty shifty! i could see the bugger go snappy snappy so I left it. I'll just have to 'make do' with slopey pads!!!
Yep, they're very good at snapping.
Plenty of heat (butane torch or the such) but that can destroy the seals.... Win some lose some..

It's not a problem that seems to have manifested itself in BX's, but certainly Xantys and C5's are very prone for it..

Dean, I reckon a glass of your fave tipple and a cigar mate!
You is learned you is!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance