Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Madcav
Site Admin

I has new wheels...

Post by Madcav » 07 Jun 2008

...and quite likely the slowest ones on here. Here it is in all it's 1256cc autoboxed loveliness...

Today I have been mostly fitting the original 15" alloys off my Mk4 Astra until I get some rather nifty alloys from one of the RR gang...

Proper fun to toot along in, been fucking yonks since I've smiled this much driving a car.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 07 Jun 2008

its a Chav-ette

lovely little car
ImageImage

mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK » 07 Jun 2008

Good on yer, Billy!!!! :D

As the former owner of 1 x Vauxhall Viva HB, 2 x Vauxhall Viva HC's, 1 x Chevette Saloon, and 1 x Chevette Hatch........I can concur that they are GREAT fun........and SOOOOOOOOOOO fuckin' simple to work on.

I won't ask what you paid for that example Billy, but it looks a decent one compared to some of the overpriced crap Shove-its that appear of the dreaded Bay of E!

If you decide to get rid......don't do owt without letting me know first, will ya?

Methinks I can feel a little trip down to Chester-shire in the near future!! :wink:

Cheers

Dave
"If it has four legs, wags its tail, and barks...the chances are...it's a dog!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Jun 2008

:D :D We used to call them shoveit`s coz well...mostly you did :roll:

When I left Proco in 2005 we had a slant 4, 1975cc, lying about in the workshop. There was no box on it but it was in running order. :o
Do you want me to see if it`s still there?

Must say that one is in very good cond....white ones usually had rust spots on them when you picked them up in the showroom :P :P
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 07 Jun 2008

Philhod wrote:shoveit
At least this one has the optional extra heated rear window so you can keep your hands warm while you push it.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:D Well spotted David, I noticed that too, on picture 4. I thought it was a reflection at first, but the orange strip is clear on the LH side.

It must have been an extra coz it`s only an L :shock:

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 07 Jun 2008

"L" was actually the 3rd model up the range. If memory serves, it started with the "ES", then the "E", then the "L" and finally the "GL"

My grandfather had one. He both bought it new and scrapped it.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:? :? No idea mate by 81/2 which I think corresponds with X, I was into
GS model Cits I was running Victors and Mantas, in the early 70`s
They ran... L, GL, GLS. 8)

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 08 Jun 2008

Phil, that'd be great if you can see if it's still there matey boy! I'd be tempted to have it converted to a 2.0 130 8V engine if possible as they are THE greatest eigh valve angine EVER but pissing about changing from manual to auto would possibly be too much agro.
It's amazing how virtually everyone has smiled when they see it and people are queing up to let me out of junctions etc.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 08 Jun 2008

me like, me want.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 08 Jun 2008

oh Billy that is just so cool keep it simple loving the red interior and the slush box
that will give you more smiles per mile than any of your other cars
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 08 Jun 2008

I don't plan on going too mad to be honest. Wheels, exhaust and possibly somethings that are easily changeable.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 08 Jun 2008

:D It`s actually quite an easy change over especially if you have a GM/Borg Warner 35a 3spd box.
Your rad moves forward 4" (remove extention brackets) there are new front engine mounts available, the droop snoot uses this block.
I think if my memory serves me well(it doesn`t) you only need to change the flexplate that bolts to the flywheel 8)
I can`t remember now but if your rear engine mount is right (on g/box)
You don`t need to change the prop, if not ..you do! :P

Don`t hold your breath though, the idiots may have chucked it.
It`s 3 years since I left :roll:

sleepy0905

Post by sleepy0905 » 09 Jun 2008

that is beautifull they are so fun to drive
2009 Micra Active 1.2

I miss having a BX but cannot afford one

wanted one healthy 39 year old body as mine is knackered and falling to bits.

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 09 Jun 2008

Keep me posted please Phil. Still having fun in the car, went to work in it today and got loads of nice comments and smiles from other road users. Now considering the possibilities of chucking an Isuzu 1.5TD engine/box from a Corsa or Nova in to it. The economy, reliability and poke of those things along with staying in the cheap road tax band fill me with deep joy.
Anyone know how big an engine the autobox can cope with if I shove a more modern petrol engine in as an Astra SPi/MPi 1.4 motor wouldn't be a bad call for it?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 Jun 2008

:wink: I`ve been off for a couple of days, but I`m back in tomorrow so will find out for certain what`s happened to it.
That`s why I asked you what model of autobox you have...the BW 35A
was fitted to a wide range of motors, using different flex plates, torque converters and perhaps more importantly different final drives.
I like your idea of the 1500 TD Astra engine, it truely was a flying machine. :twisted:
One point worth mentioning and it is rather important. Most modern blocks are cast for FWD and few of them will have any tapped holes in the casting, (or even blanks for that matter), to bolt engine mounting brackets to. :shock: So you may be restricted as to what you can fit without some original fabrication. :P

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 10 Jun 2008

Philhod wrote: Most modern blocks are cast for FWD and few of them will have any tapped holes in the casting, (or even blanks for that matter), to bolt engine mounting brackets to. :shock: So you may be restricted as to what you can fit without some original fabrication. :P
Here's a thought, was that engine related to the 16s engine that was used in the early astra, and mk2 cavalier? if yes, then that engine was later bored out and used in the carlton.....so you may be in luck with that engine mount question....
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

stu
Established

Post by stu » 10 Jun 2008

David wrote:My grandfather had one. He both bought it new and scrapped it.
Do I remember there being quite a short space of time between those two events?
Cheers,
Stu

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 10 Jun 2008

stu wrote:
David wrote:My grandfather had one. He both bought it new and scrapped it.
Do I remember there being quite a short space of time between those two events?
Indeed, and a disturbingly low number of miles too....

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Jun 2008

smiffy wrote:
Philhod wrote: Most modern blocks are cast for FWD and few of them will have any tapped holes in the casting, (or even blanks for that matter), to bolt engine mounting brackets to. :shock: So you may be restricted as to what you can fit without some original fabrication. :P
Here's a thought, was that engine related to the 16s engine that was used in the early astra, and mk2 cavalier? if yes, then that engine was later bored out and used in the carlton.....so you may be in luck with that engine mount question....
It matters not either way really. With the collective genius of the BXP, I've no doubt we could shove a fucking twin turbo V8 in the bugger and make that autobox scream for forgivness!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.