Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Wish bone bush changing

Post by Vanny » 11 Aug 2008

so i set about changing the wish bone bushes today, i have a spare set of arms so figured i'd best try chanign the bushes on them and then fitting them to the car (perhaps at a later date). Hell i might even get them shot and painted if i can get them done on the cheap!

Heres a few pics of the crazy setup used to extract;

Removal of the rear inner rubber (two bits of metal and two bits of rubber) but not the outer case of the bush. Pretty obvious the method, but also included was a decent bit of heat!

This is an 'exploded' view of the pieces with the inner rubber completely out.

Removing the inner metal ring wasnt two hard on the rear mount, basically bashed the protruding lip in to make a bit of a collapsed star shape. This gave a decent bent in lip to press a socket against and draw the ring through, also needed a lot of heat to keep it moving.

tada, simple as this;

So i started on the inner metal ring, and failed misserably, basically the lip was on the wrong side. It was also getting late (being stuck in the retirement capital of the world means i have to knock off early), so i gave in for the night, but i have another idea for tomorrow!

I'm so raiding the scrap bin for drifts, spacers, plates etc etc
ImageImage

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 11 Aug 2008

for gods sake vanny

youve got the big fuck off hammer layin there

fuckin hit it

then hit it harder

then fuckin hit anything near it that doesnt move

really teeth shatteringly hard

fuck everything

just keep pounding away

DESTROY

youll feel better afterwards

:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 11 Aug 2008

awesome plan that, i mean if i want to warp the arms then i could beat the crap out of everything and just keep shelling out for new tyres every time they bald out because the trackings fucked. Or i could be slow methodical and thought full about it and not fuck everything, you see i really have grown up a lot!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 12 Aug 2008

Get a hacksaw blade and carefully cut the outer ring right through without hacking into the arm. The it'll fall out.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 12 Aug 2008

will have to go shopping tomorrow, no wait, im on the wirral so there are no shops!
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 12 Aug 2008

durh, IDIOT!

the rear bush outer shell has a fucking great big flange on it on the outside of the arm, didnt really register so i was trying to pull the whole thing out OR holding it in while trying to bash it out! Bloody tart.

Anyways, copious amounts of heat and seting up the bar and spacer as a spread instead of a puller and it flew straight out! Man how i feel cheated. Problem now is that during the event i bent the hell out of the threaded bar and can't get one of the nuts off, and there the only two M10 nuts in dads garage (actually they where in my tool box so possibly off the FS racer).

Anywhoo changing the bushes in the arm is time consuming, but not impossible, acutally its rather easy, but my god did i go through some gas! Will now go and buy a burner adapter for a propane bottle as there are loads at the farm!
ImageImage