Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Bottom ball joint removal

Post by Vanny » 12 Aug 2008

DONT BOTHER WITH THE FUCKING TOOL!

i mean its great for putting them back in (though they dont go in tight anyways) but totally cock for getting them out unless you have loads of patience and the hub in a vice!

I've used docs patented method today and got the fucker changed in less than 20 minutes. Basically, cold chisel and an 'ammer and beat the living day lights out of it while adding copious amounts of heat. Dont bother with magical potions for 'loosening' stuck things as they wont penetrate much if at all, just beat seven shades of shit out of it!

Its the second joint i've done like this, and i'm rather happy with the results compard to the use of the 'propper tool' which i paid £6 for at the national!
ImageImage

sleepy0905

Post by sleepy0905 » 12 Aug 2008

Hi vanny i have always used the correct tool and heat + a 5' length of scaffold pole and they have always come out no problem but i must say from experience there is several makers of the correct tool and only a couple are any good mine is made by Teng Tools and it has never let me down but the first one i had was the one they supposidly supply the trade and the four little tabs just snapped off
2009 Micra Active 1.2

I miss having a BX but cannot afford one

wanted one healthy 39 year old body as mine is knackered and falling to bits.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 12 Aug 2008

you've really got to try the doc method, its sooooo much less effort!
ImageImage

mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK » 13 Aug 2008

Also, it's a lot more FUN! :lol:

Beating fuck outta stuff with a BIG 'ammer!....FTW!!
"If it has four legs, wags its tail, and barks...the chances are...it's a dog!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 28 Aug 2008

I have used sleepys advice as he says above. I agree that doing it whilst the hub carrier is still on the car would be impossible with the tool...but in a vice its FTW. Works best if you put a washer and nut over the tool to keep it on. Also, GSF and other immitations lower bjs are shite....the Lemforder (OE) are better though a couple of quid more...available from an ECP outlet near you!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Aug 2008

:D :D Totally agree Bandit. I have a Teng also.....Err ....actually thinking about it ...all my tools are Teng 8) 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.