Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Madcav
Site Admin

Car related question!

Post by Madcav » 01 Oct 2008

Not about a BX though: where the fuck can I get a 12V fuel pump from please? I don't want the oirginal spec one, I want a modern one, ideally a sort of 'one size fits all job'. It's for a 1971 Morris 1000 (1098cc) by the way and the current one is a modern one that seems to have expired. Me and my lad are doing it up on a budget and can get the original type one for about £60 but were hoping to get a modern type unit for about £15.00 or so, is that possible?
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 01 Oct 2008

My only thought on that is that a modern fuel pump is likely to be for injectors rather than carbs and so will probably have a higher pressure. The original Morris ones are not that clever really but you may get away with cleaning the contacts that open and close (they are behind the black bakerlite type thing at the opposite end to the fuel line) Use some wet or dry to clean them up. Giving the pump a gentle thump can get it going to (but don't use a sledgehammer Billy sytlee......... :lol: )

I would of thought that if there is an upgrade option, that Charlie Ware's Morris place in Bath would list one but I can't find one (BTW, he's effin expensive too.......... :roll: )

Also, I think there is a rubber diaghram in there somewhere so you may be able to get a refurb kit for little cash...check out the morris forum type websites
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 01 Oct 2008

Cav, the Bandit is right about the pressure. The electric pump stops only on sensing the back pressure from the SU float chamber. as the float drops then the pump diaphragm moves and the contacts make/break for another or more pump pulses. This back pressure is light and the pump must stop when the float chamber is full or big problems will result.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Oct 2008

:? If it`s a 1098 it`s a 1100. If it is a 1000 it`s the 998 engine. the 998 has a camshaft with a lobe on it for a mech pump drive. the block has a blank where the mech pump used to be. The simplest and best solution is to convert back to mech drive as lots of retro builders have done. there are still quite a lot of old type mech pumps about if the refutrbished ones are too dear. Literally the only thing needs doing is to fit a new diaphragm and spring but they rarely need a spring.
When I was rebuilding minis back in the early 80`s I converted most back this way, they are much more reliable 8)

And yes, the others are correct the pump output is rather important :P
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 01 Oct 2008

Never knew they had a mechanically driven pump...!!! Aren't they all called Morris 1000 even if they have the 998 or the 1098 engine? I remeber finding that confusing when I first got mine...to add to the confusion, it is a Morris Minor 1000 that orignally came with the 998cc engine but had a 1098 fitted!!! :x
By that logic a Morris Million would be........er........... [chin] erm something large :lol: 8)
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 01 Oct 2008

I say Billy , how dare you come on this of all forums and start talking about cars :lol:
whats the plans for this one matey , has it got any t and t
how about some pics I for one love moggys and not just the warm furry mewy type
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 01 Oct 2008

I'll whang some pictures on soon mate. No tax and test, been stoood six years when we got it and since Saturday (whcih was the day we picked it up) my lad and I have been working on it here and there. Helped by advice from the MM club and a bit of thinking/working out (yes, see I can do it!) we worked our way through things slowly but surely and the car actually ran for a while. We have traced the problem to the fuel pump (it ran because we put petrol directly into the carb), there is a live feed to it but pump is fucked. Don't mind using a modern one for now as the mechanical points type ones are £65 onwards, though whichever one Halfords can get will be a fair bit cheaper with my trade card. We just want to get it running well enough so we can concentrate on other jobs that need doing. It's pretty solid tbh, worse we have found so far is n/s/r chassis rail fairly close to spring hangar is rotten.
Brakes don't work, rad leaks and so does the small pipe in front of the water pump. Have sourced a /h radiator, bought a new pipe and we are going to sort these once engine running well enough (plus replace some fuel line and other hoses) then concentrate on the brakes before seeing if anything else mechanical is needed then small body repairs (filler in one door etc) and hopefully then have it welded which we won't be able to do ourselves.
Incidentally the car is using a modern fuel pump now hence me trying to find a replacement as it should be loads cheaper.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 02 Oct 2008

SU still (or at least DID) make modern solid state pumps for replacing the olde worldy point breaker pumps, I have one for the ambulance, infact I've had for years!

The dudes I bought it from have long since gone tits up, but I'll ask around and see if they are still available if you want Billy?

Granted it was about 10 years ago when I got mine, but it came boxed with fittings for the princley sum of £8.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 02 Oct 2008

Billy, if you get stuck for bits, give me a shout - my morris is full of bits. If your s/h rad falls through I have one of them too!

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 02 Oct 2008

Thanks lads. Doc, if you could see if pump available I'd be very grateful mate. Let me know a price if you can find one please mate.
BXB, cheers will let you know if it falls through. Don't suppose you have a fuel pump do you mate or a Haynes (or other) workshop manual? If so could you please pm me a price in.c postage to Cheshire?
There's sure to be other bits I've forgotten that I need by the way!

Oh, here's the car...

Washed all the car then T-cutted one wing to see what the paint was like under six years of grime and quite impressed so far.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 02 Oct 2008

thats lovely mate , went up to where my caravan is stored today and a minor traveller has appeared , It belongs to a wood sculptor ,its in the dark green and a lot of the ash needs replacing but its saveable and because he has the skills I think it will be back on the road one day
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 02 Oct 2008

I don't recall seeing a spare fuel pump mate but when it's not raining I'll take the cover off and have a root around. I have a restoration book - I haven't a clue where it is presently but I'll have a ganders.

Nice car mate - and to think Charlie is trying to pursuade me to get rid of mine!!!! It's bringing back all manner of fond memories!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 02 Oct 2008

:D :D Lovely motor mate. Back to straightforward simplicity.... no electrical rubbish (exept the pump) :oops: and an honest 40mpg to boot!!

There were a lot of similar A series motors about , in a range of sizes, over time, from 726cc SV, up to 1600.
Austin stayed with mech pumps, up to the Mini Clubman.
The 848cc, 970ccS OHV 997cc and 998cc are all the same. the 1098cc and 1275cc are different, as is the 1340 although there were only a few made.
Sooo.... any lecky pump from 848 to 998 will do.
Personally if what you have will convert to mech I would do it. The points type pumps were just a plain nuisance :x
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Madcav
Site Admin

Had a look on eBay and some makes (of fuel pump) seem universal and some are quite reasonably priced.
Vanny (if you're about) do Jackson's scrappy still have old cars in stock mate would you know?
Bandit, ignore Charlie mate, doesn't know what he's on about! Mine's been off road six years and apparantly had the entire welding done to it then. As sais one chassis leg looks fucked but aside from one front bumper bracket having snapped off and some surface rust and door bottom that wants looking at it it's not bad really and the price was very fair in my opinion.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 02 Oct 2008

Havent a clue mate, not been upto Jacksons for ages. Apparently there is a good place in widnes for old stuff, but i suspect like the rest of scrap that anything old is long gone. Jacksons number is on the internet, so try giveng them a call (its not called jacksons, but its on jackson road, st helens and has always been called jacksons!)
ImageImage

Madcav
Site Admin

Cheers Vanny, I meant the Jackson's in Hawarden by the way mate.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 03 Oct 2008

Looks good Cav! :D I had the 4 door 1000 in clipper blue, stripped the engine to the last nut and bolt ant rebuilt it as it was down in power. Reason became obvious when stripped, it had holes in 3 of the exhaust valves - amazing it had still kept on running - long strokes obviously make a difference.
You've also got the convenience of flasher indicators, I had the old semaphore Trafficators. 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 03 Oct 2008

Billy , have you iried posting in the wanted bits of retro rides ?

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 03 Oct 2008

/\ I've never 'iried' before Suggs...sounds fun tho' :lol:

w2g, what year was yours then? Mine has (or had the trafficators) and the wipers like the split screen models - although mine isn't a split screen. Mines 1960.

Phils post reminded me about something as well, here we have a nearly 50 yr old engine that repeatedly did 40 mpg (a little more on long runs)............what price technology eh? If converted to unleaded it'll be a ruddy cheap run about - quite fun too on those 145 section 'bicycle' tyres!

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 03 Oct 2008

Bx Bandit wrote: w2g, what year was yours then? Mine has (or had the trafficators) and the wipers like the split screen models - although mine isn't a split screen. Mines 1960.
Snap! :D So was mine. It was the deluxe model which meant you got a heater and a door on the glove boxes etc. :? No radio as standard yet though. :(
Bx Bandit wrote: Phils post reminded me about something as well, here we have a nearly 50 yr old engine that repeatedly did 40 mpg (a little more on long runs)............what price technology eh? If converted to unleaded it'll be a ruddy cheap run about
Yes, this is mainly because they were long stroke engines which were pretty economical. :D Short-stroke engines were adopted for the modern approach on other cars I believe to achieve more BHP and higher top speeds but with less time for the 'burn' cycle they are more wasteful of fuel. :)

(Mine did drop to 20 mpg though with the developing holes in the exhaust valves :wink: )
Bx Bandit wrote: - quite fun too on those 145 section 'bicycle' tyres!
Especially on icy roads, it was easy to go 'skating' out of control. :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto