Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Drive shafts

Post by Vanny » 20 Oct 2008

Any ideas where i might find driveshaft length data, specifically for the xantia.?
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Oct 2008

[chin] Err no if its not in Haynes, but I would imagine the models using the same g/box will all be the same length, whereas a different box may cause them to be different..............probably :?
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Oct 2008

All Xantia's?
Or specific Xantia's?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Oct 2008

My thoughts were......if you can safely assume that the engine/gearbox/hub carrier/hub design is set up is the same, the the difference between d/s lengths on bx vs xantia would be track.

The facelifted Xantias had a wider track than previous models.....not sure by how much!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 21 Oct 2008

the drive shafts on BX's. 306's and xantias are all very different lengths to each other and in the case of the xantia they are different between the range (albeit in minor amounts).

I want to know so i can a) have 6 gears b) have a wider track at the front
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Oct 2008

:? :? Allright I`ll ask what are you up to?

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Oct 2008

Can't help you mate and can only think of trawling thro' some of the pug and/or FCF sites with a loose search to see what comes up.

Having said that, I managed to eventually find a website that offered clear and definitive dims on front brake discs inc minimum thickness, so maybe there is a good enough website with the info you need - it's just a question of different search combos to find it...
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 22 Oct 2008

I'm confused.
What Xantia ever had 6 gears?
If you're going the GTi-6 box route then the original shafts will fit just fine.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Oct 2008

:? Yeah, coz the sliding inners will take up small differences in track 8)

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 22 Oct 2008

I want to know so i can a) have 6 gears b) have a wider track at the front
ImageImage

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 22 Oct 2008

docchevron1472 wrote:I'm confused.
What Xantia ever had 6 gears?
Every single (manual) one of them as far as I know. Five forwards and one backwards.

Am I helping yet?
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 22 Oct 2008

Very true squire

now, back onto it, the pug boys have to do all kinds of strange things to there shafts when they fit the gti6 box, why would that not need doing on a BX? hmmm
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Oct 2008

:? Although still not knowing what your up to
The things that determine drive shaft length are fairly few
Obviously engine/box arrangement and it`s position in respect to the centreline of the engine bay. Your track cannot be widened without having implications on the suspension set up and it`s positioning of the front hubs
For any real widening you would need to source longer track rod ends although earlier BX motorsport interest may have developed these.
The arb would need extentions as well. [chin] [alone]

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Oct 2008

Still cant see how widening the track will gain anything TBH..

Standard BX driveshafts will plug straight in to the GTi 6 box with no mods at all.

Oh, hang on, do you want to widen the track to get a better right hand steering lock post box fitment?

Why do even want 6 gears (or, to be more accurate as David amusingly points out, 6 forward speeds) ?
If the gearing on top gear isn't enough for you, just wham a TD top gear set in the box thats there already!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 23 Oct 2008

docchevron1472 wrote:.....Oh, hang on, do you want to widen the track to get a better right hand steering lock post box fitment?......
WTF? Royal mail migt have something to say about that, but a post box on wheels is a good idea if you ask me, esp as yours is already PB-Red!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink: [coat]

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Oct 2008

Oh, hang on, do you want to widen the track to get a better right hand steering lock post box fitment?
Hurrah!

Not just that alone mind, Xantia diesel drive shafts are massively fat which would be nice (i'm still convinced there is some back lash in the standard 16v shafts). The 205 drivers have to fuck about with inner CV joints as the ribbed bit is longer.

changing track width would mean a new lower wish bone and hub carrier, which would then at least allow for rose jointing. But it wouldn't require changing the arb or track rods.

that and it would look hard as fuck, get a bit of a evo 4tc body kit on it.

More importantly fucking off the rear trailing arms and having decent wishboned suspension on the rear. The general aim is to have it look pretty much identical but better engineered under neath. And dont give me any of this 'its was engineered right the first time' anders style nonsence, it wasn't it was done to a budget.
ImageImage

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 23 Oct 2008

docchevron1472 wrote:Why do even want 6 gears (or, to be more accurate as David amusingly points out, 6 forward speeds) ?
If the gearing on top gear isn't enough for you, just wham a TD top gear set in the box thats there already!
Bear in mind too that more forward ratios does not equal a higher top gear ratio. The GTi-6 box actually has a lower top gear ratio than many 5-speed ones, as it's intended as a close-ratio box and nothing else.

... which is fairly pointless on an engine with a good torque range. Only engines with a very narrow torque range need close-ratio boxes.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 Oct 2008

:?
I take it you mean a double (short/long) wishbone system turned round at 90 degrees with the suspension cylinder mounted at an angle between the two? :roll:

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 24 Oct 2008

front /rear? and why would the susp need to be at an angle? straight up!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 24 Oct 2008

Err rear coz the front is 1/2 way there already.

I`ve no idea really it`s just that if you look what the experts have done at Ferrari or Porsche, in the formers case the spring is straight and the damping is at an angle and the latter both are angled.

Given that your hydraulic unit is covering both operations and on the examples the anchor points seem to be equidistant from the wheel.....
...I just thought it would be a good idea to use a similar angle.

confuscious he say don`t re invent wheel copy them that knows :wink:

Either that or he was confused. :P