Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

BX foible - rear wash wipe

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 Nov 2008

Do you ever use the rear wash? I've just fixed mine up but it's not really that useful.
What's missing imho is an intermittent wipe. Not needed on the motorway of course but doing the school run/urban stuff it's a pita to keep manually wiping (oooh er missus).

Was thinkin I'd take the innards of an on/off switch and put it in the body of the rear wash/wipe switch, wire up an intermittent scooby and disable the wash; or just put the 'face' or 'button' part on another switch if it'll fit in the same position??

what you think? and does anyone know if my plan of diassembling/reassembling the switches is possible?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 Nov 2008

You can likely get away with using the existing switch if you fit a latching relay in the wiper circuit. For the delay circuit you will need some electronics and a second relay. Delay circuits probably can be sourced out of non-BX cars at the scrapyard. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Latching relay - what a good idea! How does it unlatch then? Just press the switch again? That way I could keep the wash too! By delay do you mean the intermittent timer jobby? If so I'll take the timer out of the TD before it goes east. Does anyone know where it lives?

Forgot to say, I swapped the wash bottles over; i.e. the one that washes the front now washes the rear and v.v. so that when I go round a roundabout the wash doesn't splurge out!!! It works too :P
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Nov 2008

8) The one on the Picasso works exactly how you wish...I dare say there would be some compatibility somewhere :wink

:? I`ve never had any washer container problems??? on any of the 3 cars I`ve had.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Charlie said he'd never noticed the wash fluid coming out on his but it happens on both TDs and possibly the valver but I can't remember. It's damn annoying, to me anyway cos I'm a fuss pot!!!

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 11 Nov 2008

all you actually need is an estate rear wiper setup. These have a latching switch with an intermittent wipe.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 11 Nov 2008

Bx Bandit wrote:Latching relay - what a good idea! How does it unlatch then? Just press the switch again?
It can be as easy as that if you use a mechanical latching relay but as the wiper is a simple circuit, you could modify a standard (cheap) relay to do the job by wiring it in the following way:

The trigger button is the standard switch to latch it and the reset button is a new 'push to break' switch which can be small and fitted in any convenient position within reach.

Relay is 12volt type intended for continuous operation and contacts must be rated for wiper motor amperage.

'Device' = your windscreen wiper.

I have not examined the standard wiper switch but I am assuming it has 2 pairs of contacts, 1 for the wiper and 1 for the washer. If not, the washer function will need to be separated. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Nov 2008

David wrote:all you actually need is an estate rear wiper setup. These have a latching switch with an intermittent wipe.
Evryfink he said.
Piece of piss to install, you can keep the wash should you wish it and it's a plug in replacement.

As for the washer emptying itself on the screen when cornering, some BX's I've owned have a valve in the feed pipe that stopped this happening, infact my TD had said, but it restricted flow badly and failed altogether. So I ripped it out.
I had intended to swop the tanks over (front for rear) but like so many things I never quite got round to it...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 11 Nov 2008

Ta muchley guys! Well I guess the estate version is the way to go (or w2g............ :lol: :D :P :) :roll: :oops: :? :o :( :cry: [coat])

Not overly arsed about rear wash ( :oops: ), do the estates have it? If so, how do they include it with the switch gubbins?

Anyone got an estate rear wash switch + timer!??

Quite why they changed I don't know cos it was intermittent on the Mk 1s!

W2G, are you an electronics dude? I used to do a bit for 'fun', just messin around like but was never that good at it!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Nov 2008

Estates do have wash / wipe, the switch is made such that a push will latch it in and give intermittant, a further push gives the wash.

I cant say I do have any estate bits, the only estate bits left are from DLM's car, and he had all the switch gear and the boot lid is earmarked for some dude...

because of the aerodynamics of the hatch it was deemed unnecessary since road speeds over about 20mph and no rain falls on the glass see...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Aye, but, I spend a good part of my time below said 20mph doing the school run and I need the rear view to know wether slow down for a yummy mummy or speed away from the trolls that really shouldn't of got pregnant in the first place :roll: :lol:

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 11 Nov 2008

Also tis v useful to have intermittent wipe when reversing in heavy rain. I love my BX but I hate this single wipe/wash feature!

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Nov 2008

:) :) I don`t know what I will do if the Picasso`s goes wrong

It even has a facility that, if you put the car in reverse and have the front wipers on, the rear comes on automatically on continuous wipe until you select a forward gear, when it automatically switches off 8)

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

/\ Oooooooooooh hark at you posho! You're tryin' really hard just to piss Mindy off aren't you!!!!! :lol: :wink:

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 12 Nov 2008

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Err Yes :wink:

But like I said I`ll be fucked if it ever goes tit`s up :(

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 12 Nov 2008

mnde wrote:Also tis v useful to have intermittent wipe when reversing in heavy rain. I love my BX but I hate this single wipe/wash feature!

Mark.
Easy enough to do that on the BX! :D

One relay needed with coil connected across reversing light feed.

Connect switched feed to front wiper also to one of it's n/o contacts.

Connect other side of n/o contacts to switched side of rear wiper switch.

Voila, when the front wipers are on and you select reverse then the rear wipers will work continuously and switch off again when you disengage reverse. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 12 Nov 2008

That's a nice touch w2g...........at this rate I may as well just get bloomin picasso then!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 12 Nov 2008

:lol: :lol: fixorated

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 18 Nov 2008

I've got the estate switch (brand new, £12, eGay) but its not a straight plug and play affair as there are a number of additional wires to connect up/move around, not quite got round to it yet though. Hopefully i can find an estate wiring loom.

I do like the auto on in reverse idea, thats got to be a winner.

It is my intention to build a new wiring loom from scratch in the near future (assuming i have spare cash) as the old looms are just cock and now i know why (its all about a poor sheath). So i might have to build a load of these things in. And electric heated seats
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 18 Nov 2008

Vanny wrote:(its all about a poor sheath)
You know that you should insist on Durex! :P :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto