BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Classic Clonk.....

Post by Bx Bandit » 17 Jun 2009

....when using brakes in reverse. Any one know what causes it and what the cure is?

If *think* I know...... [rock] .....walks off cheekily whistling....

pride comes before a fall and all that as you lot point out the obvious!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jonathan_dyane

Re: Classic Clonk.....

Post by jonathan_dyane » 17 Jun 2009

Depends on the nature of the clunk ;-)

Most likely candidate is the front brake pads moving in the caliper. Unless it's like a *bad* clunk...

If it is the pads another brand might be better, but tbh it's the sort of thing I tend to ignore...
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 17 Jun 2009

My experience too - though has only happened to me on one BX of several. Can't remember if it went away when I changed the pads or when I changed the BX...

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 17 Jun 2009

Mr Dyane is getting warm there, although I use Bendix pads which I *think* are original spec. and so should negate the 'replace pads' option...Whilst I agree it does depend on the nature of the clunk, I have made the assumption it's brake pad related, for following reason:

Fitted new pads and greased caliper sliders.....so my surprise I had no clonk!
A few thousand miles later, I need to remove pads........blaa blaa then reassembling put the brake pads in as before without paying attention. Only this time....clonk! Re-packed the grease on the sliders but to no avail.

Had a re-fit today and a penny drops! I've only 1/2 tried my theory. If it does work, it's annoyingly obvious! It's happened on all 3 BXs DLM but to varying degrees which makes it all the more annoying. Any way I'm in grave danger of feeling smug rather to soon but as this hase been one of my bug bears of the BX for so long I'm feeling chuffed at the prospect of curing the problem.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 17 Jun 2009

:) You remain snug my friend, but check the ARB clamps and rubbers as these are the cause of "loud" clunks and can have not nice consequences. Btm joint is worth a cheque as well.

If it is pad refit connected, all I can say is I've not experienced it in the BX. A clue may be my once a year "regime". each year at major service I remove the pads, take out the bolts but not Hydraulically and remove the disc. all is then derusted and cleaned and sliders greased. when re assembling and connecting/adjusting the handbrake cable, I clean out and regrease the auto adjust mechanism...and ...err, no clunks :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 18 Jun 2009

Not necessarily a reverse-induced clonk, and I'm sure it'd be showing itself in other ways, but a pothole-provoked clonk caused a bothersome saga for me with lower arm bushes and locating rod some time back. The bushes proved to be both disintegrating and corroded onto the rod.

My guess is that you're referring to something very simple and straightforward....

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 19 Jun 2009

i always thought the clonking sound when you brake in reverse was something to do with the position of the brake piston grooves in relation to the studs on the brake pads themselves

cause theres a little gap

so if you adjust the piston groove upwards so that it it rests against the stud of the pad, ie no play

the pad cant move and no clonk when you brake in reverse

i thought this out ages ago [chin] [chin] [chin] [chin]

all by myself :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

but i might be wrong

what do you think bannnditttttttttooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 19 Jun 2009

:lol: fuck off you - I have patent pending on that! The clonk I thought was a well known foible of the BX. It's mentioned here and I've had it on all 3 BXs and heard it on at least 3 others!

I haven't tried the solution out methodically yet. The initial test was good but after a long run and needing to turn round there was a mild clonk.

Fish_Botherer

Post by Fish_Botherer » 19 Jun 2009

OK - so trim up a thin slice of rubber hose/seal to fit around the stud if it's bothering you then?

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 20 Jun 2009

There always will be, the piston can of course rotate, so like, erm, it'll move when the pad moves up or down like...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 20 Jun 2009

or or or or or or

he said all excited like [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

but a dab of some sort of silicone / sealant in the groove while the pad is being fittted to

STOP THE CLONK

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Nope, because the clonk is the pad moving in the jaw, not in the piston, so unless you sikaflexed the pad to the caliper it'll still move.
WARNING: do not actualy sikaflex the pads in, they wont work very well!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 20 Jun 2009

docchevron1472 wrote:There always will be, the piston can of course rotate, so like, erm, it'll move when the pad moves up or down like...
True, and I think rotating the piston after fitting the pads reduces the movement but not eliminates it. So the trick is.................fuck this, any one fancy a pint?

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Yes, a pint sounds iddylic! Bit late now though... dang!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 20 Jun 2009

It's never too late, sniff Ajax if you have too............just simulate!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Jun 2009

Ended up doing the weekly shop with er indoors this am [vomit]

I found this bottle of beer resting amongst the specialty cheeses. It was called Maple moon and has a lovely flavour, redish in colour and 4.9%.
It's brewed by Joseph Holts, a family firm going back 5 generations and based in the centre of Manchester.
I used to drink their bitter (a lot) when I worked in Trafford Park. It was crazy stuff, a different taste and although only 3.9% it used to affect your arms and legs long before your head. weird!!!!

In other words, you knew what was happening but couldn't do anything about it coz all your hinges had gone
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Jul 2009

Maple moon! Sounds good mate, not heard of it before!

Just in case anyone was wondering.....I ended up 're-setting' the caliper/pads as described on both the TD and the 16v......it made no difference on the 16v but stopped it on the TD! So hard to tell.
Only other thought was that there a 4 slots to take the lug on the caliper piston, 2 with an extra thinner slot next to it. Is the spigot only meant to go in one 'type of slot'?

If it ain't the pads moving then what else could this clonk be? Worn sliders?

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 21 Jul 2009

There's a guy over on BXC that goes by the name of Boxwolf...he may well know the answer!
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Jul 2009

really..........??? I will check it out......

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 22 Jul 2009

Philhod wrote: I found this bottle of beer resting amongst the specialty cheeses. It was called Maple moon and has a lovely flavour, redish in colour and 4.9%.
It's brewed by Joseph Holts, a family firm going back 5 generations and based in the centre of Manchester.
I seem to remember that Holts was a manufacturer of Anti-Freeze! :shock: :wink: Not of Austrian extraction are they? :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto