BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Non BX dieselly advice...

Post by Vanny » 06 Aug 2009

i likes this trick. I've heard of using a bicycle pump to do similar but that never won any awards from me, but thisun sounds excellent!
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 06 Aug 2009

That's a neat idea - which makes it all the more annoying that I have probably binned the old cap (that I renewed as a matter of course when I discovered the problem). Still, there's an LT rotting away in a field not too far from me, so I will have to go and raid the cap if it's still present.
The cap is plastic, so I'll probably just glue and screw a PCL fitting into it.
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 06 Aug 2009

The leakdown test is widely used throughout the industry now and works in a similar way.

Either way it's a sure way of confirming you need a new head gasket. Not a bearer of good news then :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 07 Aug 2009

The same setup works well bleeding the cooling system on hard to bleed BX's aswell!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Aug 2009

Oh bollox. You've reminded me now. I lost the plastic screw off the narrow pipe on the top right of the diesel BX and replaced it with a stainless one, I happened to have lying around.

Over time this has loosened the threads and I need to replace the pipe before the MOT as it blows bubbles ever so slightly now.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 07 Aug 2009

Philhod wrote:
Over time this has loosened the threads and I need to replace the pipe before the MOT as it blows bubbles ever so slightly now.
:? Enginey bits & shortcomings arn't covered in the MOT now are they Phil? Maybe oil leaks or "loose and liable to drop off" but this sounds inconsequential. Although I suppose, if the job needs doing, it channels the mind to get on with it. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Aug 2009

Yeah, I've been doing a bit of refurb generally, but had just forgotten that one.

It doesn't need it for the MOT of course, but I deal in psychology. Testers are very predictable!

If you present something clean with no leaks, drips, or untidy wiring, or rough paintwork; They are much less likely to start digging, obviously the reverse applies :wink:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 08 Aug 2009

Fucking well true that.
Unless you use Tim's tester, in which case he'll most likely not actually need to see your car at all..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 10 Aug 2009

Give Greek Street auto's in Liverpool (they are no longer on Greek Street btw) and see if they will still do a sight unseen MOT. Used to be about £10 more expensive than a regular MOT but they used to post them so no need to visit!
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 Aug 2009

[wtf] You're pulling our plonkers surely! :shock:

It might be useful to the Tim_Ticket-them_and_move_them_on_at_a_profit_brigade but to those of us keeping our cars it's actually worthwhile to know about any issues and fix them! :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

It was a well known fact for many mnay years in Liverpool, and i doubt they are the only ones. But i'm not sure if the tradition continued after they moved to new premises.
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 Aug 2009

This new computerisation of the MOT may prevent absent testing of cars if certain sensors are read directly into the computer.

Although maybe a number plate photo would have to be inputted to ensure it's not a random car from the car park!
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

I don't think the new system is all that clever, but the fines associated with the new VOSA system are probably prohibitive except to the small stupid few.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Aug 2009

Err yes they are that good. The practice you describe and others came to a halt at the end of the written cert. Everything is online now and it covers everything including the vin number.
VOSA's computer notes if you didn't have it done on the due date, links in with Swansea to see if it's SORN, Then reports to PNC.
That's why so many are being picked up under section 165.

Vanny
Site Admin

but its all just typed into the computer. Theres no actual evidence is there? Like they dont take pictures, and they can't tell what car the probe is attached too, and most of the inspection is still visual. So there is little to actually stop a sight unseen MOT with this wonderful new computer system which forces x number of minutes for every test.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Aug 2009

OK, you could still produce an MOT to order, but checks are made on records and testers.

Garage revenue for MOT's is excellent, so few are minded to put that at risk. What some did, even in the computer age, was ask about any faults and record them as advisories.
These are given as the mechanics opinion, not VOSA'S, so if shit happened a month down the line they could say well you were warned.
with mechanical parts this is ok, but with rust it was hard to explain failures to the police when accidents occurred within a few weeks of the MOT.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Aug 2009

Well, I happen to know that one can still get a class 6 MOT by return of post from a station in s***h Wales.

Not that I would.

And W2G, to rely on an MoT to inform of problems with a car is poor!

I know everything y cars are likely to fail on, and do it as soon as it becomes a problem, whether the MoT is due or not.

As it goes, MoT standards are still fairly poor..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 08 Sep 2009

Bit of an update here, as before the Stratford drinkathon, I put in a bottle of K-Seal, not expecting much, if any improvement (but hoping!)
Well bugger me (not really Smiffy [no] ), but I have not noticed any loss in the 400 or so miles since then. That suggests to me that if it was a crack, it must be one of constant size (i.e. caused by manufacturing stresses relieving themselves) rather than one caused by expansion and contraction as the head heats up.
Next to try more magic in a bottle for the tappets, I can't believe that both problems will be that simple though...
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 08 Sep 2009

K-seal is dang good stuff, but I find it doesn't work so well on blown HG's on diesel's, so yes, you're theory sounds pretty good!

Magic bottles FTW!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 08 Sep 2009

I bought a bottle of Wynns "Stop Leak " & put it on one side just in case of emergency but fortunately have never needed to use anything in this BX.

I did have to use Radseal on a Morris 1000 way back until I changed the radiator. Not the favourite these days I gather? :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto