BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Tracking.....

Post by Bx Bandit » 03 Sep 2009

Had to replace a TRE on the valver a couple of months ago and had a non OE made by Hi Drive (or similar) from Euro Car Parts. These for some reason tend to be an arbitrary 5 - 7mm longer than OE ones. It was even longer than the previous hi drive one it replaced! It was long enough to run out of threads on the axial joint and still be toeing in and pulled the car to the right. So I lobbed some of it and stuck it back on. Despite farting about more today, it still pulls to the right and any adjustment on the tracking seems to have little effect on the amount of pulling.

Before I replaced the TRE, it kept a straight line. Could anything else be causing the car to pull to the right?
Both front tyres inflated correctly and same tread
Just thought it might be a sticky caliper which I'll check tomorrow.
Could a worn (but only just noticeable) rear arm bearing cause this?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Tracking.....

Post by Philhod » 04 Sep 2009

Mine never pulled even when the nearside rear arm was well fooked.
If it was ok before 10 2 1 it's something you've done :oops:

Just a thought, check for any play at the inner end where the link bar goes into the rack.

I think it was the 1600 Meteor I had that failed the MOT on that.... said I needed a new rack.
1/2 an hours peening cured it and got it through.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 04 Sep 2009

Philhod wrote:.
I think it was the 1600 Meteor I had that failed the MOT on that.... said I needed a new rack.
A few years ago I think it was fashionable for MOT examiners to draw attention to "play in the rack" whether there was or not as a few people I know unduly had that comment. Maybe it had been taught as a pet item on a recent examiners course? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

I know what you mean, but fair play to him, there was more movement there that I would have liked.

There is quite a bit of metal round there so it does lend itself to peening. You need a proper tool though,
I use an old large punch which I have ground to a 1/2 ball end (not bell) then polished up with wet and dry.
Using a 1/2 pound hammer this redistributes the metal well, without cutting it anywhere.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 04 Sep 2009

Do you mean the axial joint Phil - inner ball joint thingy? I will check them but I'm pretty sure they're ok. Whilst it seems it it summat I've done, I blame the crap tre's....I shant buy that make again!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 04 Sep 2009

Bx Bandit wrote:I blame the crap tre's....I shant buy that make again!
Surely if they are that far out then what they have supplied you may not be for the BX.

You probably have a case under the trade descriptions act for your money back if the factor doesn't award this voluntarily, because; 1) Goods must be of merchantable quality; 2) Goods must be fit for the purpose for which they are sold. It would seem your TRE's contravene both of these conditions. :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Yes I think if they are the right article and you can't get a stable setting, then they are not of merchantable quality and should be handed back in exchange for your dosh....like ...rapid.
Yeah that's where I meant Bandit, the peening removes any play around the ball.

You can't get anything quality these days. My exhaust on the Picasso has cracked all round where it exits the cat :( , Theres also a small hole in the rear box :x
I wouldn't care but it's only been on 6 years since new!!!!!! :wink:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Sep 2009

Way2go wrote:
Bx Bandit wrote:I blame the crap tre's....I shant buy that make again!
Surely if they are that far out then what they have supplied you may not be for the BX.
No, they'll be for the BX.
They are utter shit, but increasingly all you can actually get.

Suspect it's still out on adjustment mate.
I've had this time and time again now, the last pair I fitted (to the TD) I had to cut the ends down, and drill the fucker out and tap it before I could get 0deg!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 05 Sep 2009

Are the dimensions different between Mk1 & Mk2 and maybe these dodgy ones are therefore Mk1 types? :? Does seem odd that you should need to go to those lengths Doc. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 05 Sep 2009

It seems fairly typical of some of the parts on offer nowadays from GSF and Eurocarparts - Lemforder TREs for the BX are nowhere to be found at either nowadays, and I'm not too happy about the Hi Drive TREs that had to go on my car at the time of the last MOT (those came from GSF and were all they had available).

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Sep 2009

:) Historically, there isn't a specific TRE for every model. One size of TRE may cover several
models and from different manufacturers too.

If someone has a drawing for the offending part (the correct one obviously) not the offe.............Leave it phil. Or a part number.

Perhaps we may discover what vehicles carry the same part.
I take it Lemforder are OE manufacturer? Then perhaps they may be the best place to enquire.

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 05 Sep 2009

I take it Lemforder are OE manufacturer? Then perhaps they may be the best place to enquire.
I think they may have one of a couple for BX suspension components, but the most important thing nowadays is that

(1) Their parts are the right size
(2) They seem to use good honest metal and rubber in the manufacturing process, rather than various grades of chocolate.....

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Way2go wrote:Are the dimensions different between Mk1 & Mk2 and maybe these dodgy ones are therefore Mk1 types? :? Does seem odd that you should need to go to those lengths Doc. :wink:
Early Mk1's are different, but you cant get them at all anymore anyway..

Lemforder aren't OEM but they are better than anything else you can get now.
Hi Drive say they are proper BX TRE's, but the casting is shit, the materials used are shit, and they are all too long!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 05 Sep 2009

Now then....now then.....no, I can't fix it, but what I mean is that yes w2g they are the correct article...at one stage GSF were supplying n/s tre's in o/s boxes (& vice versa) and that they were too long, so you had no chance of keeping the lock nut steady/counting the number of turns as it was all to cock. These were Hi Drive ones.
After discovering the above and getting all pissed off with it all, I found ECP did the Lemforder ones (which I though were OE, I even think ECP claimed they were) and they just 'seemed' the better article. They were around £15 but sadly they seem to have discontinued.
As has been mentioned, the Hi Drive castings are shite, the rubber lasts a year at best....

You are probably right Doc/Phil.....i just need to keep fiddlin' with 'em.

AEP do however do Lemforder TRE but at a £25 premium + £7 delivery! However, once I'm earning, I won't hesitate to buy a set for the valver (The TD already has a set).

Just in case this is of help, AEP claim to use OE parts only (or at least state so in each item description) money well spent if your pocket will stretch

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Increasingly OEM or not, we wont have a choice at all soon, parts are being discontinued for BX's all over the place....
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 06 Sep 2009

docchevron1472 wrote:Increasingly OEM or not, we wont have a choice at all soon, parts are being discontinued for BX's all over the place....
Although when you think about it cars from defunct motor manufacturers like the Morris 1000, MGB, Triumph Stag etc are kept going by their enthusiasts so presumably a similar parts support could happen for the BX if it gets "that status"? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Sep 2009

Nah, cant see it.
There are too few, and hardcore or not, Minors and Mini's and stuff are kept by going by enthusiats who manufacture parts (often better than BMC managed) because they have money and make money.
That will never be the case with the BX.
The overwhelming majority will get binned,andthe few remaining hardcore nutters will pay alot to have bits made or modded to fit.

XM's have gone the same way, S1's get thrown in the bin if they fail the MoT on knackered brakes.
I'm not kidding, we scrapped over 20 of them last year because the owners wanted them scrapped rather than spend a couple of nudred on having the brakes done, or a bit of exhaust or whatever..

Sad, bu thats life.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Fish_Botherer

Post by Fish_Botherer » 06 Sep 2009

m not kidding, we scrapped over 20 of them last year because the owners wanted them scrapped rather than spend a couple of nudred on having the brakes done, or a bit of exhaust or whatever..
That's a bit depressing, though if they were like the one you borrowed for towing duties then I could maybe understand it...

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 06 Sep 2009

docchevron1472 wrote: XM's have gone the same way, S1's get thrown in the bin if they fail the MoT on knackered brakes.
I'm not kidding, we scrapped over 20 of them last year because the owners wanted them scrapped rather than spend a couple of nudred on having the brakes done, or a bit of exhaust or whatever.
If you come across a nice XM SED in such a predicament do give me a shout, I have a bit of a hankering for an XM [chin]
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 07 Sep 2009

Will do mate.
I too have a hankering for a late S1 D12 automatic with leather / air and all that shit.
Alas everyomne I've found thus far has been an utter dog..

It's been a while since we've had an XM in for MoT, so I'm guessing there must be a few due soon!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance