BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Induction Motors

Post by Bx Bandit » 29 Sep 2009

Anyone know shit about these? Apart from no brushes and the like.....

As in the one in my dishwasher don't work. AFAIK there are no open/closed circuits (vague I know) where you wouldn't expect them
It has a thermal device that i think is working ok. This thing changes it's resistance as it heats up. It's purpose is to help get the motor spinning (by providing out of phase mag field to main coils) and then keep it going (thermal thing changes resistance to (I'm guessing) reduce the phase lead)). Also there is a capacitor connected to the motor windings.
Other facts:
The motor is getting a feed.
The thermal device seems to operate as expected
The windings and associated contacts have resistances of 11.6 ohms, 68.3 ohms and 80 ohms
I have no idea if the capacitor is working correctly. It's not short or open circuit. What actual function does this thing do? I have managed to dent the aluminium casing a bit - would this fuck it up?
Even with the voltage applied to the motor, a manual kick start does nowt!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Induction Motors

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Sep 2009

Erm, fuck knows mate!
Tried a bigger hammer?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 30 Sep 2009

[quote="Bx Bandit"]I have managed to dent the aluminium casing a bit - would this fuck it up?/quote]

If this caused an internal short - yes, but you probably haven't.

Check it with your meter it should read open circuit or alternatively give a kick and then get increasingly higher resistance over a short period. Reverse your meter connections and it will kick again and descend if all is well with it.
("kick" is really on an analogue meter, for a digital read starts LR going HR. :wink: )

For the rest, very difficult to analyse remotely.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 30 Sep 2009

Is that what they call a squirrel cage motor? Takes all it's power at start then runs on very little. They also produce no sparks so were used down't pit.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Sep 2009

/\ Don't think it is a squirrel cage mate, think they tend to have much more powerful applications. This is just a water pump to swirl the arms round.

w2g, the meter exhibits exactly what you say - rising resistance with -ve polarity upon switching the leads.

Hmph.......that means it ain't the capacitor then....or the windings....or the thermal thingy......bigger hammer it is - thanks Doc!

Fuck............... :x
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 30 Sep 2009

I pay the gas board a few pounds a month extra on my 3* tarriff and they cover all my kitchen appliances, as well as my CH system, parts and labour.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 01 Oct 2009

Philhod wrote:I pay the gas board a few pounds a month extra on my 3* tarriff and they cover all my kitchen appliances, as well as my CH system, parts and labour.
The alligator parable needs to be quoted in response to that bit of retrospective advice! :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto