BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
jayw
Part of the decor

Re: o/s sill - front section

Post by jayw » 20 May 2010

Technically it is underseal, but i've used it for years inside, under, over, round & behind all kinds of motors & panels. It doesn't need warming anything beyond typical ambient temp for this time of year and has a lovely looking smooth & shiny finish...

The gun & can are gratis, i'll bring them at the weekend once i dig them out from wherever the hell i put 'em!
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 May 2010

The popping noise is when the wire shorts out on the job. It usually goes in a series of pops as it shorts then melts then shorts then melts. It means your juice is slightly low or your moving along too fast.

Waxoyl sprays very well. you just have to thin it a bit, with white spirit. It makes no difference to the protection it gives and soon evaporates off.
I've used all sorts of rust protection but to be honest nothing comes near to waxoyl. I have one of those original hand pumps that screws into the tin.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 May 2010

Philhod wrote:The popping noise is when the wire shorts out on the job. It usually goes in a series of pops as it shorts then melts then shorts then melts. It means your juice is slightly low or your moving along too fast.
You're being DIRTY of course Phil? right? No? Oh...

I would infact gladly cross your palm with silver for the bitumen David, if you're sure you dont want it? I'm on tin number 6 now, and it's about to run out!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

You're being DIRTY of course Phil? right? No? Oh...
Well you know Bandit loves it when you talk dirty. :lol: :lol:

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 21 May 2010

docchevron132 wrote:I would infact gladly cross your palm with silver for the bitumen David, if you're sure you dont want it? I'm on tin number 6 now, and it's about to run out!
Have you still got your empty tins? It's impossible to use the paint from the drum it's in at the moment, and so needs decanting into sensible size paint tins..
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 May 2010

Philhod wrote:The popping noise is when the wire shorts out on the job. It usually goes in a series of pops as it shorts then melts then shorts then melts. It means your juice is slightly low or your moving along too fast.
So, most likely I've moved it out of the pool and/or maybe as Doc was inferring was that I hit a dirty spot.........?

Jay you're a gent mate! I'll get some beers in! Beer is good currency [clap]
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Well she passed with a brand new OE ball joint!

Next, I want to get the A/C working but have a small problem. Not realising the nut securing the idler roller on the BX a/c set-up was left hand thread I sheared the damn thing off (not only was it a nut but a bearing cone and so was brittle)

Anyway, I have decided to use the Xantia (not the 2.1, but the 1.9td) setup. I have all the parts but have a couple of questions:

The Xantia setup uses the later style hydraulic pump but how to connect the thing? One goes to the steering rack right? I assume the other outlet goes to the pressure reg - but which port?? And the FDV is done away with? What happens to all the pipework fitted to the FDV?

OR: I leave the new style pump out of it which means I have to deduce the correct length of aux belt which I guess will be a 'piece of string' length minus what ever slack the tensioner takes out? Does any one have any ideas on this please?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 21 May 2010

To connect one port of the pump to the steering rack you need an adapter. I made one myself which was far more robust that the one made by Pleides, i used a stick welder and a hand drill to make it!

You'll find most of the piping on the fdv goes to erm the fdv. You'll still have the PR which feeds through to the safety valve, i used the existing pipe and undid ONE coil to give me a little play. You'll still have a leak back from the PR and a feed from the pump. YOU MUST use ALL the pipe mounts on the xantia system, i missed one out and it shattered a fat pipe = LHM everywhere!

All this said, you can NOT have the Xantia HP/Alternator/Compressor setup on the BX engine without moving the radiator! The alternator sits on the rad, looks not to bad untill the first cold start, the engine rocks and the alternator goes through the rad!
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 21 May 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:
So, most likely I've moved it out of the pool and/or maybe as Doc was inferring was that I hit a dirty spot.........?

Jay you're a gent mate! I'll get some beers in! Beer is good currency [clap]

Managed to dig the kit out so it's all yours mate!
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Vanny wrote:All this said, you can NOT have the Xantia HP/Alternator/Compressor setup on the BX engine without moving the radiator! The alternator sits on the rad, looks not to bad untill the first cold start, the engine rocks and the alternator goes through the rad!
Oh fudge buckets and bum nuggets! What a hole of an anoose! Is there not a chance that you had a Xantia alternator which is magically mahoosive when compared to a tiny BX one?

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Thanks Jay - gentleman you are!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Oh fudge buckets and bum nuggets! What a hole of an anoose!

FFS Bandit. Fit a sunroof or open a window :wink:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 22 May 2010

Why not just use the BX setup minus the idler roller?
The kit I have doesn't have said roller, and I have no intention of finding one!

Oh, and yes, thanking David, I do have several hundred enpty tims of paint related paraphernalia knocking about...
Must come pay a visit soon! It's been far too long anyway!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 22 May 2010

I'm sweating now just sitting down in the lounge Phil - I tells yer, I NEED a/c - I hate being hot!

Never thought of that Doc. Brilliant idea. It looks like the achillies heal of the system anyway. For the spindle, roller and what I think was the bearing cone Citroen wanted.........................£150!

You've just saved me quite a bit of hot sweaty work which I wasn't looking forward to my lovely. What does/would the idler do then, provide more friction?

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 22 May 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:I'm sweating now just sitting down in the lounge Phil

provide more friction?
Dear oh dear oh dear....
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 22 May 2010

yes, it was rather warm today... somewhat dehydrated and heat stroked now..
Although one car down, only 2 togo!

I've seen cars with AC that actually works minus the idler and they aint had any slippage issues so I cant see it'll hurt to leave the cunt out TBH..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 May 2010

:) Well I love it. We had 29 degrees here in sunny Wigan.
I spent 2 hours in my garage painting some metal security fencing. At 41 degrees in it was kind of hot in there but ideal for the paint.
When I think back to nearly 2 years ago, when I was in Bahrain, it was 10 degrees hotter than that, just walking about. It cooled down nicely at night though, down to about 39 8)

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 23 May 2010

Then I shall errrr 'leave the cunt out' then Doc :wink: That'll be done this week, the oil change can wait god damn it!

Jay, you've completely taken that out of context you mean toss pot.

Blimey Phil, that paint will of dried on the brush!!!!!!!!!!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 May 2010

:lol: Didn't dry on the brush Bandit, but it baked dry in about 2 hours instead of 6.
My Garage is actually on a piece of land opposite my back gate.
It's on it's own and is in the sun from about 8 am till 8 pm at the mo, that's why it gets so hot.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 24 May 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:Is there not a chance that you had a Xantia alternator which is magically mahoosive
There the same package size, so it really wouldn't matter. I think the Xantia one is slightly shorter accross its width, not that it helps any.
ImageImage