BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: I definately need councilling...

Post by mat_the_cat » 26 Aug 2010

I'm thinking more performance TBH - it's got an ovctane rating of about 115 RON so you could have a fairly high compression ratio before pinking became a problem. But then you'd be left with an engine unsuitable to run on pump petrol, and a supercharger is the only way I can think that you could effectively have a switchable compression ratio.
Image Image Image Image

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 26 Aug 2010

If you went for the later(but not latest) single point injection LPG system can you not run on these permanantly? (i.e. no petrol needed) so you could build a RV8 motor with higher comp, cam etc etc job done, Rover V8's arent that expensive to build to a better spec yourself. Or am i over simplifying?
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 26 Aug 2010

Don't see any reason why not, AFAIK the main reason that they use petrol to start is to avoid the cost of enrichment control for the gas fuel when a system already exists in the vehicle for petrol. A lot of systems have an emergency 'start on gas' setting which would probably require a fair bit of cranking but would be acceptable on a weekend or track car.

On the other hand the latest sequential systems simply act as a slave to the vehicles ECU and modify the petrol injector timing to suit the characteristics of LPG and the atmosheric/tank pressures (so would probably start equally well on either fuel) - having said that the petrol ECU map wouldn't suit a tuned angine anyway. I wonder whether you'd need an electrically heated vapouriser until the coolant warms up?

Oh well, probably another project I won't get round to any time soon...
Image Image Image Image

stu
Established

Post by stu » 26 Aug 2010

I love this forum.

Mat posts talking about a sensible little runaround, and now we're talking about superchargers :)
Cheers,
Stu