BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Sodding rust!!!

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 19 Aug 2010

Was having a poke and prod around the BX yesterday, stuck on some new rear discs and oil and filter etc etc. Anyway, its got a fucking rust hole above the r/h rear arm, on just forward of the rubber bump stop on the flat rail, ok so its easy to sort. Its only about 10p size and the area isnt rotten, but why cant it just fuck right off and stop casuing problems, just as i sold the cortina too. That is all.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: Sodding rust!!!

Post by Bx Bandit » 19 Aug 2010

get it sorted and flood with waxoyl, in fact, drive into a swimming pool filled with waxoyl!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 19 Aug 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:get it sorted and flood with waxoyl, in fact, drive into a swimming pool filled with waxoyl!
Blimey, that will make the windscreen wiper all smeary :?
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 19 Aug 2010

and?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 20 Aug 2010

Fair do's.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Aug 2010

:D I've been using Waxoyl since it was made by finnegans up in the north east.
It's the best stuff by far. once I've cut out the rust and welded in new stuff and treated it, the rust never returns. :)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 21 Aug 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:get it sorted and flood with waxoyl, in fact, drive into a swimming pool filled with waxoyl!
Sounds like a pastime for the new cautious breed of rock star...

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Aug 2010

/\ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny that! Not really wanting to ruin his Rolls, he'll play 'a bit safe' and use a waxoyl pool! Classic FB! [bow]

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 27 Aug 2010

When you waxoil the whole underneath, what's the best way to clean it up first? If there's surface rust should I take it right off or would it be okay to go over the top?
Ta

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 27 Aug 2010

Ideally take any loose stuff, be it rust, paint, old underseal, small children etc off with a wire brush first, then cover the thing (including any you can get into the cavities of the car etc)

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 27 Aug 2010

I don't know if this stuff is better or not, but Underbody Seal by Hammerite contains waxoyl anyway, and leaves a really flexible stone chip proof finish. I've used it on both BXs and the trailer and I've not seen rust since.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 27 Aug 2010

Personally I'd put some phosphoric acid rust converter on any rust you can't remove, I know waxoyl says it contains rust killers but I've not found it brilliant on existing rust.
You'll probably get many different answers, for example I use the black waxoyl underneath as it is more abrasion resistant, I'm worried about the underseal stuff forming a layer and allowing rust to spread unnoticed underneath (although haven't used it much so might be worrying about nothing!)
This stuff seems good so far, ask me again in a few years!
Image Image Image Image

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 27 Aug 2010

Dynax S90

It smells lovely and is brown.
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Aug 2010

Hammerite and Waxoyl are manufactured by the same company, so it should be ok Bandit.
I once re sprayed a Fiat Strada with silver and blue hammerite. It didn't rust again and it stood outside our house for a year after the daughter moved to Sweden. Then a mate of mine bought it for his girlfriend and she was running it for about 5 years after that and still no rust.
Once I've cleared the surface stuff Mat, I use Kurust on any showing, then spray the black waxoyl over everything. It can't trap water as it never sets fully unlike old underseal which was bitumen based and became brittle after about a year.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 28 Aug 2010

I'll have to find out about hiring rampage for a weekend.

This current bx has no rust issues apart from a tiny bit on a front inner wing seam. I'd like it to remain that way - forever, or longer. The trouble is, it's parked outside on a very well salted road in the winter for the first time in its life...

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 28 Aug 2010

OOOoooooh, give it few months then! It's the bits you can't see scarecrow really mate, there can be a fair bit once you remove all them shiny panels!

Matt, have you bought that 'imitation' waxoyl? :wink: I've had my eyes on that stuff and intend to get some to do the BX before winter!

That under body stuff, I don't think will hide any rust forming underneath like the factory stuff does.

I think the Dynax stuff Father mentioned is one of the Rolls Royce products, expensive but probably bloody good!

Scarecrow

Yeah - I dread the salt!

The MOT tester asked me if I knew what I'd got with this bx - it's so unrusty :D But you're right - if it isn't rusty now, it will be soon, for we shall all be no more than dust one day!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 28 Aug 2010

Regular rinses off will help if you can.

Yes, I've bought the stuff and seems very similar to real Waxoyl. Only time will really tell I suppose, but I'd been meaning to get some Bilt Hamber stuff for ages, and then I realised that it was the sheer cost of it that was putting me off doing the job. It might be brilliant stuff, but if you never buy it it's going to do bugger all sat on the shelf!
Image Image Image Image

Scarecrow

Fish_Botherer wrote:
Sounds like a pastime for the new cautious breed of rock star...

What's that short blokes name, Jamiroquai? (I stood next to Shinyhead O'conner listening to them at Glastonbury 1992 - I remember saying they were crap).

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Aug 2010

If you have a bit showing round the seam mr crow, scrape back the compound to find the extent. Sort it and paint it, them re seal it.
It will stop the salt taking it further. If there is no IN for the salt, it takes a long time to cause problems.