BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: Sodding rust!!!

Post by Bx Bandit » 28 Aug 2010

Scarecrow wrote:Yeah - I dread the salt!

The MOT tester asked me if I knew what I'd got with this bx - it's so unrusty :D But you're right - if it isn't rusty now, it will be soon, for we shall all be no more than dust one day!
BXs are fairly good at looking rust free, but they do hide a lot. I'm at all saying yours is a rust bucket under the skin or anything, but just that if the car's a keeper (and it sounds like you do want to keep it long term) then really do check the parts you can not see (wings off, harsh poke around etc). Hopefully you'll find very little mate but better safe yadda yadda yadda etc
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 28 Aug 2010

Take the wings off!!!? I don't think so, not on my own anyway. I've found professional mechanics do a far better job than me and it keeps the service history up too.

I've been reading through a few of the topics on here, and you guys seem to know what you're doing. I definitely don't!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 28 Aug 2010

Ok, well, you can always start! We'll hold your hand, metaphorically and physically you understand. :P
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Aug 2010

:) Yeah. The majority of jobs are mostly unbolting and bolting up again but you learn an awful lot during the operation. Each time you do a job you learn a bit more....even if it's NOT to do that again. There is a wealth of knowledge and expertise on here, far more than you'll get in your average, or even above average garage.

Unless of course your one of our affluent brethren, who can afford not to get their hands dirty :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Aug 2010

I think it's fair to say that whilst we're a small band of piss heads, the amount of technical genius on here wont be bettered anywhere else.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Aug 2010

:) Hey, Hey, who are you calling a technical genius????????

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 29 Aug 2010

Philhod wrote::) Yeah. The majority of jobs are mostly unbolting and bolting up again but you learn an awful lot during the operation. Each time you do a job you learn a bit more....even if it's NOT to do that again. There is a wealth of knowledge and expertise on here, far more than you'll get in your average, or even above average garage.

Unless of course your one of our affluent brethren, who can afford not to get their hands dirty :wink:
Ha ha, No, I'm not!

I think I've had some bad experiences with fixing my own cars, there always seems to be more problems afterwards. If I had two cars and a space off-road to do the work, and decent tools I might have more enthusiasm. I used to do all the repairs on my old Dyane... including engine swap and clutch and wheel bearings. I feel that whenever I do something to the bx I seem to break the things attached to the thing I'm repairing and so on.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 29 Aug 2010

Scarecrow wrote: I used to do all the repairs on my old Dyane... including engine swap and clutch and wheel bearings.
Well then you are more than capable my feathered friend! Go forth and fiddle..............

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 29 Aug 2010

I do fancy a fiddle now and then - but when the old boy over the road sees me out there he comes and bores me even more than I can bore him!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Aug 2010

He's old, he'll be dead soon, if not, shoot him. Jobbed.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 29 Aug 2010

Scarecrow wrote:I do fancy a fiddle now and then - but when the old boy over the road sees me out there he comes and bores me even more than I can bore him!
That's a bummer dude. There are an untold number of people who add hours to any work I do. Mostly, I don't mind too much, but there is one old fucker who moans like shit about everything, esp. s***h Wales and bangs on about moving back to Stroud..................................... well go on then, fuck off back to Stroud then you old bastard!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Aug 2010

yeah, send him back here, I'll stick him through the shit spreader!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Aug 2010

Ooooh, sorry, not Stroud, Swindon! Anyway, he can still fuck off and you can still stick him in the shit spreader

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Aug 2010

I declared Smiffy's car a gonner today, looked tidy top side, underneath...well...there was no underneath... :cry:
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Aug 2010

If you like, next time you do a job, one of us could come and help......I say help..... what I mean is come and drink beer and take the piss. :wink:

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 31 Aug 2010

Yup, Stratford will be the last hurrah for my TZD, it's fucked!
Now I need to find a replacement...
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Aug 2010

My 19 n/a will be up soon :)

Pics in garage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Aug 2010

:o Is it really that bad?

erm, I've just found this for you Smiffy - not that far, In fact, the only way it could be closer is if it landed at the farm. Anyway, check this out

Just re-read it, it's spares or repair, but if it's better that your current TZD then it could still be a go-er

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Aug 2010

We went to have a look at this very car yesterday.
Not worth it, scrap only really, needs welding on the floor, the inner arches front and back, and it's had a shunt in the front.

G's TXD Turbo is favorite I reckon.
It's in for MoT Monday morning, and has no proper rust at all anywhere, just some surface corrosion round the boot floor / chassis legs that if treated now wouldn't be a problem, ever.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Aug 2010

That's a shame, but by the sounds of it you have one lined up now so TXD away!!! What's the difference between a TXD and a TZD anyhoo?