BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

speaker upgrade advice wanted

Post by mickey taker » 21 Sep 2007

Has anyone on here upgraded there speakers at all ?,

I have a sony mask head unit and I have some nice JBL 360 gt 6x9's in the rear shelf powered by an amp

can anyone suggest suitable speakers for the front door panels and tweeters for the dash vents ?

which aftermarket makes would you recommend or avoid ?

and what about the rear pillar speakers , how hard are they to remove /replace and any recomendations as to what I should use .

I want sound quality more than volume and moneys not really an issue within reason

should I replace the wiring ( well in the front at least )

please help an old man preserve his hearing

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 22 Sep 2007

whats wrong with the quality? i mean without wanting to spoil the view, you have 6x9's fitted meaning your already over the capacity of the internal volume of the car (regardless of AMP power of receptor base volume (the big caps under the speakers in the rear shelf which you obviously have??))!

To be honest, the system in the 16v is VERY good, i would only consider replacing standard components with Infinity (kappa) or clarion speakers and i would expect to pay big bucks! This is from someone with a limited knowledge on volume calculation but who listens to most 'choons' through a set of very old B+O speakers. I love the almost default BX setup and only introduce low power 6x9's by way of fill when there is no one in the rear!

IMPORTANT question, pop off the front speaker grills and what sort of cone is behind? PS don't believe the Halfords crew who will tell you the standard system is crap, it is VERY well setup, most things are in VERY good positions.
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 22 Sep 2007

I've got 6x9's in the parcel shelf and Tornado's in the doors.

Sounds great!

The tweeters in the dash are ok for high end stuff but their ability to cope with volume is EXTREMLEY limited.
The shite speakers in the C pillars aint worth a wank and the best thing you could possibly do with them is unplug and forget.

My TD has standard door speakers and a bass bin (old skool) in the boot, sounds ok, but I prefer the 6x9's.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

barnsley bxer
Part of the decor

Post by barnsley bxer » 22 Sep 2007

I got some front speaker kitsfor my 4x4 from source in Chapletown,Sheffield.I can't remember the make but they consist of bass/midrange units,crossovers and round tweeters that I glued to the electric mirror blanks.They sound very good,but could do with something better in the back

barnsley bxer
Part of the decor

Post by barnsley bxer » 22 Sep 2007

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 22 Sep 2007

thanks for the input guys , it was mainly the fronts I ws thinking of changing but then thought in for a penny ....

it is the dash mounted tweeters I think are breaking down but will have another listen through different choons and when no kids are in the car singing along :twisted: lol

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 23 Sep 2007

ok, I had a little play around with the settings on the head unit and have now got a much better sound out of the standard speakers .

also found the two screws that hold the door panel on by the drivers side front speaker were loose which was probably the cause of the crackling noise I had been getting :oops: