BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
stu
Established

PC or Mac?

Post by stu » 05 Oct 2007

I'm seriously thinking of switching over to a Mac, from years of running Amigas then PCs.

Thoughts? Advice?
Cheers,
Stu

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 05 Oct 2007

I was going to post a different picture, but then I found this one and it creased me up.

Sorry, not very constructive...

Mark.

EDIT: Apparently it's called the iWipe :lol: :lol: :lol:
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 05 Oct 2007

There's nothing inherently wrong with PC's. In fact, they're great for cheapness and availability of bits.

It's just the OS that's the problem.

Go with a GNU/Linux setup. You know it makes sense.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 05 Oct 2007

David wrote:There's nothing inherently wrong with PC's. In fact, they're great for cheapness and availability of bits.

It's just the OS that's the problem.
Agreed absolutely.

I've had a play with Linux, as you know, but I am not the geek I used to be. My approach to computers has matured along the same lines as my approach to cars; I used to love spending half my time under the Rover in a pool of oil/in a CLI with my eyes crossed but now I just want to drive.

So, I haven't really fallen for Linux but I have to wean myself off Windows before they stop supporting XP because I wouldn't allow Vista onto any machine of mine.

My ebay finger got the better of me today. I own a G4 now :oops: I wasn't even pissed :oops:
Cheers,
Stu

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 05 Oct 2007

stu wrote:I've had a play with Linux, as you know, but I am not the geek I used to be.
You no longer need to be. There are some fantstic works-out-of-the-box distro's available now. I don't know a massive amount about them, as I'm still using Slackware, but I hear Mandrake and Red-Hat etc. are all now serious competition for Winblows.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Oct 2007

Windows has always been inherently flawed.
PC's are ok, and can be made to run mighty fast, but Mac's are bloody fast.
When this PC kicks the bucket I will almost certainly get a Mac, and like you Stu, I will NEVER allow Vista anywhere near my machine, it's total pap.

Never tried Linux, but I've read so much great stuff about it over the last couple of years I might give it a go.
But also like you, whereas years ago I used to write machine code and was fairly linguistic with computers, technology moved on, and I didn't. I'd have to start again, which at my time of life is a tad daunting...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 06 Oct 2007

Hurrah! Let the Vista-knocking begin.

1. It's totally ridiculous that my current machine hasn't even got the guts to run it. I didn't buy it for games or photoshopping so it's not that powerful but wtf - it should be able to manage an OS! An OS should sit quietly in the background and leave the bulk of the system resources for running useful stuff.

2. I won't have it checking up on me. If Vista thinks it's being installed on a different machine from the one it was originally intended for, it will refuse to run. I've heard reports of this happening when people have swapped out components like graphics cards. Recently my motherboard went pop and I replaced it with a new one; Vista certainly would not have accepted that. I'd have had to buy a new copy, which would have probably made the repair so expensive that I'd have bought a new computer instead; which is extremely wasteful of the world's limited resources.

/rant
Cheers,
Stu

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 06 Oct 2007

There's also the issue of the EULA on everything since Win XP SP2. Remember the chaos that went on with Win98? That was to do with it reporting back to Micro$oft, even if you ticked the box to NOT report back. M$ were taken to court over that, and that was the beginning of the whole anti-trust issues with them.

Since XP SP2, there has been a clause written in to the EULA that essentially means that M$ can download and run ANY code they like on your machine, and have it report back to them without any say-so from you. Not only does this mean you have no control over the machine whatsoever, but there's also the possibility for malicious code to make use of the same system, essentially making the machine very vulnerable.

I do still run one Winblow$ machine, but it's XP SP1. It connects to the net behind two independent firewalls, and I have almost everything turned off. It still crashes like a bastard though.