BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
charlie
Part of the decor

a confused pinion valve

Post by charlie » 07 Oct 2007

please

pretty pleease

pretty pretty please

i'll be ur mate

am just about to start fitting a new pinion valve and was reading

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/diy/pinion/

its Oscars description about the valve

Quote:
Now working on the pinion valve. With the wheels in the straight-ahead direction, scribe a datum mark showing the relative position of the pinion valve spindle and the pinion valve body. This is important, as otherwise there is a risk of refitting the valve in a position that doesn't correspond to the rack's position.

do i have to still follow this given i am not refitting the old

and if i am what do i line up

AND

my new valve has a yellow plastic bit that goes from the plactic cap to over the stem (one side)

the old one doesnt seem to have this bit at all

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 07 Oct 2007

Oscars description/instuctions on the pinion valve are very sketchy at best. Tried to point some of his bollocks out but he didn't care!

You don't need to mark anything up as the pinion is to an extent self sentering (all you really have to do is remove the steering wheel and put back on centrally after wards! Don't for the love of god take out the steering rack or remove the shims as it says in the haynes!

The yellow plastic bit SHOULD be brown by origin, but it doen't (imho) makes the slightest bit of difference! Swapping pinions rather than pissing about with the seals half way through is DEFFINATELY the way to go, so keep going.

I have half an article written about multiple possible ways of doing the pinion, might be convinced to finish it eventually, its reasonably idiot proof and gives the pro's and cons of doing different ways. Took me 3 hours to do the whole lot with engine in situ, first time, without instructions!
ImageImage

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 09 Oct 2007

cheers vanny

have almost put everything back together now and will play with my power steering tommorrow