BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

16v fuel pump relay

Post by Bx Bandit » 14 Oct 2007

Right then, as I understand it, when you turn the ignition on, the fuel pump is turned on for about a second to top up the pressure in the line. Well, although I can hear the relay click on and then off after about a second but the fuel pump don't run (at least, I can't hear the fucker) and yet, it runs as soon as the engine is cranking/running. Is the relay that operates the f/p for a second the same relay that operates it when the engine is running? Or have I lost the plot??? Also, where is this relay/s???
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 14 Oct 2007

they dont always run when you turn the ignition on, it hought much the same as yourself, but mine doesn't seem to prime its self when turned on. As i understand it, it runs continuously and has no way of telling if its primed or not as the pressure is lost through the pressure regulator. Seriously strange goings on me feels!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 14 Oct 2007

Bloody hell....:roll:

The pump will only run whilst the crank is rotating, the ECU takes a signal from the CAS to switch the feed live for the pump, therefore you wont hear the pump running unless the engine is cranking or running.
Clever (ish) bit of design I guess...
The relay should click, but the pump shouldn't kick over (even for a second) to prime, as it doesn't need to, since it generates full pressure at the rail before the engine has completed one full rotation on the starter, or at least it should..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

docchevron1472 wrote:Bloody hell....:roll:

The pump will only run whilst the crank is rotating, the ECU takes a signal from the CAS to switch the feed live for the pump, therefore you wont hear the pump running unless the engine is cranking or running.
Clever (ish) bit of design I guess...
The relay should click, but the pump shouldn't kick over (even for a second) to prime, as it doesn't need to, since it generates full pressure at the rail before the engine has completed one full rotation on the starter, or at least it should..
Right then mate, that makes sense and it means my bitch is behaving...so wtf does this relay click in for a second or so and what do it do..?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 14 Oct 2007

Where exactley is the click coming from dude??
Under the bonnet or somewhere in the cabin?
I suspect what your hearing is the ABS relay powering up..

Although it could be the injection relay that does click in and out then kinda doesn't click again even though it stays live till you shut the ignition off...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

I rekon under the 'hood' mate...........gremlins maybe........... :shock:

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 14 Oct 2007

under the hood sounds like the ABS pump relay to me as well!
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

okily dokily frienderinos......................rekon my 16v is a ho tho'....such a mooody fucking cow.....but she sounds good with a hard trashing....I'm gonna tame ma beeeyatch.........sweet Jesus I 'will' tame maaa beeyatch

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 15 Oct 2007

I think you're right Vanny - the relay click is coming from the ABS block area so I guess that's what it was.

What would be the effect of dis-connecting the knock sensor? I use 97 Ron but I'll nip up to tescos in a bit and put some 99 in.

There are other issues to discuss but I'll post 'em individually...

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 15 Oct 2007

Er, well, the ECU will probably revert to base settings, so you'll lose some performance, although I dont know alot about the 3 row ECU..

I should imagine the K light will stay on though..
It'll still run mind you..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 15 Oct 2007

bandit wrote:Right then, as I understand it
im really sorry to barge in vanny and doc

but ur wasting ur time cause bandit cant understand nowt

sorry buts its de truth

:roll: :roll: