BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

battery terminal

Post by mickey taker » 08 Nov 2007

noticed tonight that although the nut and bolt are fully tightened the batteries earth terminal clamp is loose ,

is there anything I could pack it with to tighten up the connection or is there some sort of adaptor I could buy to take up the slack
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 08 Nov 2007

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7394

i just went to local shop and brought standard replacement at a couple of quid each

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 08 Nov 2007

thanks Charlie ,

I was quite happy to have a go right up to the point where David mentioned soldering:oops:
might get some of those gold ones like Kitch has
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 09 Nov 2007

You don't have to solder them, but doing so makes a better mechanical join than the clamp screws could ever achieve.

For the moment, remove the bolt and saw a bit out of the middle so that there's more space to tighten up the bolt.

Next time I'm passing that way (which appears to happen with surprising regularity) I'll solder up a pair of clamps for you.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 09 Nov 2007

big washer, stick the bolt through it so the washer sits between the head of the bolt and the lead, fastest solution!

The cheap o ones kitch has (well there 6 quid each) are aimed towards the boy racer fraternity and are just mild steel coated in gold coloured stuff, i know cos i have a set! They work well though, but then you have to carry around an allan key and a 14mm spanner which you wont use on anything else!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 09 Nov 2007

Kitch's are ok. But mine are better!
Solid Gold, and foooking expensive, but they do look bling!
Oh, and they're fairly good at conducting, but who cares, they look bling!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Terry
Location: No.1 at the end of the bar...[in the Milton Arms,Rotherham]

Post by Terry » 09 Nov 2007

Quick Bodge :roll: ....................screw a self tapping screw into the gap between the battery terminal and the clamp..........it tightens the clamp and makes a good connection, .........looks untidy,but it'll work until you can make a neater more permanent job.
I've reached the same conclusion in life as my dog ....if I cant eat it,drink it,hump it or fight it ........I'll just piss on it,and walk away.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 09 Nov 2007

thanks guys , I new it was a sortable problem

i.e. it wasn't anything terminal

[coat]

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 09 Nov 2007

Badum.

And also: Tish.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 09 Nov 2007

got me a great big gold plated one ,

bloody thing weighs as much as the battery

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Nov 2007

You know it makes sense!
Bling FTW!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 14 Nov 2007

ah well
despite the new battery terminal the battery is still going flat overnight but starts off the jump pack straight away and is ok for the rest of the day ,

I reckon I have got a dead cell so will be getting a new battery tomorrow
local independant place is quoting me £58.00 but at the moment they have a promotion on .

if you ask for a local radio station car sticker while your there you get 20 % off
so that brings it down to about £46.00

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 14 Nov 2007

Is there a clause saying you have to display the sticker though!?

Are you sure theres no draw on the battery with the ign. off??
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 14 Nov 2007

docchevron1472 wrote:Is there a clause saying you have to display the sticker though!?

Are you sure theres no draw on the battery with the ign. off??
dont think so and

dont think so

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 14 Nov 2007

Try going to a Lucas direct outlet. They can supply type 069 batteries (which fit a BX just nicely) for a fair bit less than that. £40 last time I checked (which was fairly recently)

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 15 Nov 2007

couldent find a local lucas direct place so went back to the place I got the quote from and bartered them down from £58.00 to £38.00 with the radio promotion ( should have been £46.00 ) for a battery with a 3 year warranty .

only thing was where as they usually fit the battery for you if you pay full price , I had to fit it myself ( I would rather have the extra £8.00 in my pocker anyway )

Oh and the guy did ask me to put the sticker on the car :oops: because the backing paper is the voucher ,

turns out the radio station are doing another promotion where if your car gets seen with the sticker in it you can win £50.00

so I may yet win the cost of the battery back

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

forgot to ask , should the bx have a batter clamp ?

mine is held in place by a bolt going through two big penny washers with an earth wire sandwiched between them that goes in at an angle into the battery tray ( does that make sense ) the end of the earth wire dosent look great looks like it used to be a ring that went under the bolt head but theres not a lot left of that .

having said all that it is very secure and the battery doesent move

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 15 Nov 2007

mickey taker wrote:the end of the earth wire dosent look great looks like it used to be a ring that went under the bolt head but theres not a lot left of that .
You need to ensure that the main heavy earthing is good and sound or if there is an alternative lighter earth path anywhere then things could get fried that you dont want fried when you operate the starter motor. :cry:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

the main earth is ok , its in its nice new gold plated terminal,

this is a meshy looking strap between the engine and the battery tray

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 15 Nov 2007

mickey taker wrote:this is a meshy looking strap between the engine and the battery tray
I haven't investigated this but it is presumably the earth return for engine mounted electrical items (not including starter) or it is for reducing any potentially damaging electrolysis effects.
1991 BX19GTi Auto