Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 29 Feb 2008

how many hourly users does the CX Club get though? I bet its a lot less than the combined throughput of the FCF and BXC, i certainly wouldn't want to be his ISP (if only for the 'up' bandwidth usage!
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

thinking about it (on a smaller scale again) i had everything running off this computer i'm typing on at one point (IIS7 as well, which being an MS product is wank) and not one of y'all noticed!
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 29 Feb 2008

Vanny wrote: i certainly wouldn't want to be his ISP (if only for the 'up' bandwidth usage!
Is this the nitty gritty then? It's his up bandwidth where it's falling apart giving the time outs and blank screens? :roll: Is none of his site on a server farm?

Actually the BXC home pages normally respond quickly even when the forum is fucked! :evil:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

just got some important news on the grape vine, it would appear (and this is for us only) Jon is no longer running the place!

basically its a little databasing issue, oops, nothing major should be back up tomorrow, but i like that there is some new blood involved that actually passes information to the outside world.
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Are you talking BXC here Vanny or to do with the recent FCF bulletins :? ie:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 574#152574

If BXC, then that is major after all that has been said about Jon wanting to retain control even if it went to the wall and the wall fell down! :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Feb 2008

I know Jon is no longer running FCF, thats public knowledge I thought?

Don't think he'd give up BXC without a fight to the death though...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

fcf has been taken over, not likely bxc would be, didnt realise it was public knowledge, i have a long history with the guy who's taken over, he's pretty decent
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

ha ha, the plot thickens, so FCF IS being hosted on someones personal computer as the old service provider is about to pull the plug on everything including the website and database.

so, how exciting!
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

So for BXC is the database still marooned in the USA or is this already resident on someone's pc too?

I notice that the non-provision of info up until now had been pissing off the fcf members as well! They applaud the change of regime. Pity Jon can't see the error of his ways for his members on BXC! (Damn it! He even started a Blog where there is never a mention of Forum related issues which we would be more interested reading than his mundane postings. :roll: )
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 01 Mar 2008

BLOODY HELL! :shock: I've just fallen off my chair! Finally we have mail:
jonkw wrote:Yes, I know.

Firstly, as some of you will be aware, I've been working away on contracts in Lincoln and then Stoke with limited wi-fi most of the time.

The shocking state of the forum; timeouts and hanging is appalling, I will admit.

I shall not bore you with all the events and recent problems. It's been so bad that even I can't be arsed to try and login :?

In a nutshell, having gained control of this domain, and arranged new hosting on a virtual server, the MySql server (the database bit) would not allow me to upload a forum db of the size of bxc, let alone FCF. So, although the BXC website is really quick, the forum is piss poor slow as the MySql database was still hosted in the good old USA by my previous hosts. A receipe for a slow forum. Again I am waffling but need to probably change hosts again to get adequate MySql database allowance.

Over on Frenchcarforum, which I also host, we had the same problem, but due to size of database and amount of users, even worse than here.

FCF database is now hosted on a dedicated server by "Citrojim" of that forum, and I just do the general hosting. We swapped it this evening, and the results are impressive to say the least. So, the next stage over this weekend is to download the BXC database and get it working on Citrojim's server. The pair of us will work on this.

I will make an announcement when I'm doing the backup, as obviously there will be a small period of time between the backup and the upload to new server, in which time anything you might post will be lost somewhere for a bit.

I am truly sorry about these problems, some of you close to me know the nightmares behind the scenes that led to all of this, which have taken me ages to resolve.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 01 Mar 2008

first step on the road to recovery is realising there is a problem
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 01 Mar 2008

Sorry I fell asleep half way through reading Jon's post.

So the wars over and Hitler won?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 05 Mar 2008

Gorn orf again! :roll:
BXC wrote:Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'eastment.net' (10060) in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\bxclub.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\bxclub.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\bxclub.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 05 Mar 2008

so we now know Citrojims personal website address too

http://eastment.net/
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 Mar 2008

This seems to be becoming a long term problem now for some reason!
BXC wrote: Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'eastment.net' (10060) in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\bxclub.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\bxclub.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\bxclub.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Vanny wrote:so we now know Citrojims personal website address too

http://eastment.net/
His personal site doesn't respond either so it looks like his ISP may have pulled the plug because surely that resides at his ISP's server farm? :?

Perhaps he's violated some terms and conditions over high data usage? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

All is back up now! :D
citrojim wrote:I replaced the modem/router with a brand new one and last night it failed :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

At least it was a different problem. Apologies for the outage last evening and again through the night.

The new one has a problem where the ADSL stays up fine but the LAN ports lock up :twisted:

Another modem/router has been on test all this morning and will be swapped later this afternoon.

Hopefully third time lucky :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 10 Mar 2008

W2G your SOOOOOO impatient, you'd think by now you'd be used to the BXC not working like the rest of us are :LOL:
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 27 Mar 2008

It's been working well for quite a time! :D

BUT, looks like Citrojim's comms have blown up again 'cos it's been down for the last hour or two. :( :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 27 Mar 2008

Yep, shame!
Although I couldn't get on here either until I clickyed a link...
All seems good now on here though!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance