General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

New shaped cars

Post by Philhod » 19 Feb 2011

The front ends of modern cars all tend to be of a similar shape these days. This, I'm told, is to be pedestrian friendly, being higher it throws the body away from the car by hitting it over a greater surface area, therefore causing less damage than if it continued upwards hitting the screen.
Tonight, I unfortunately witnessed this first hand. I had been on my afternoon march and was almost home , there was a bunch of kids (13 to 16) generally messing around and shouting at each other, when all of a sudden, this lad about 15, comes from behind me across in front of me and tries to run between a slow moving line of cars on the opposite carriage way.
Unfortunately he didn't see the car on our side going about 20+mph. The driver had no chance even to brake until she had hit him.
True it stops the body hitting the screen but even at that relatively low speed, the impact threw him about 10 feet at chest height like a rag doll. He landed on his shoulder and was out for a minute but seemed Relatively ok. I asked his name and he told me so I told him to keep dead still and phoned an ambulance. Couple of guys appeared one had a big reflective jacket and covered him up and a woman brought a cushion to put under his head.
A paramedic arrived after about 10 minutes and took over. She stuck a neck thingy on him and checked him over and outwardly he seemed ok. I got the woman driver to move her car into the side street next to us. She was in a right state. I calmed her down and told her there were about 4 witnesses and she could not have avoided what happened. This settled her down a bit so I went back to the lad just as plod arrived ....all 8 of them. 2 lads had been directing traffic very well till they turned up and fucked the traffic up altogether with 4 cars just stopped anywhere. I gave my details and a short statement. 40 mins the kid was lying in the road before the ambulance turned up. Not really acceptable so I told the traffic bloke to report it. wether he will or not I don't know, but I certainly will, if it had been more serious he would have been dead.
Getting back to car shapes.... [chin] [chin] Not sure it makes much difference whether you hit a windscreen at 20 mph or are thrown 10 ft to the road at the same speed. It's gotta hurt either way.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: New shaped cars

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Feb 2011

might teach the little cunt a lesson though eh?
I got held up in a fatal earlier. The chaos being caused by a pair of plastic coppers..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 19 Feb 2011

Philhod wrote:I'm told, is to be pedestrian friendly, being higher it throws the body away from the car
Erm, someones been telling you fibs. There is pretty much only one reason for the bulbus front ends, and that is to give more flex in the plastic before you hit something harder. And the reason for doing this is simply to save from breaking legs. Most pedestrian impacts are side on, a few are head on but they are never arse first. Knees just aren't made to bent that way.

Euro NCAP does require certain distances from bumper to screen dependant on rake, and bonnets have to be reasonably flexible and high off the engine (or like the XF have 'pedestrian' air bags under the bonnet) so save from head injuries and try to avoid direct head to window collisions.

Most boring two year project i ever did! Just run the fuckers down, the guilt will only last for a few days, but butt ugly styling will last a life time, mr Peugeot!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:lol: Most boring two year project i ever did! Just run the fuckers down, the guilt will only last for a few days, but butt ugly styling will last a life time, mr Peugeot!

Exactly my point

The plastic does flex though.....then springs back and throws you through the air so you get a fractured skull instead of legs. :P

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 19 Feb 2011

Vanny wrote:to avoid direct head to window collisions.
I've always believed that the impact trauma is far less on a windscreen when the glass actually breaks? Thus, the flex in the lamination slows the head more slowly than a "bounce" off the glass?

I mean, either way it's gonna hurt!

All this money spent on redesigning front ends, has anyone ever given thought the the composition of the glass? AFAIK laminated screens have neve changed in design???
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

The only thing I know for sure is that the laminate material has changed as new materials have become available. Construction is still very similar though

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 19 Feb 2011

jayw wrote: I've always believed that the impact trauma is far less on a windscreen when the glass actually breaks? Thus, the flex in the lamination slows the head more slowly than a "bounce" off the glass?
Um.....a body through the windscreen is not going to do the driver or front passenger any favours! :shock: Although I suppose the windscreens do seem to be further away from the front seats in newer car models that I've seen. :?
Last edited by Way2go on 19 Feb 2011, edited 1 time in total.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Feb 2011

dont go telling the twats in Brussels that FFS.
They'll most likly decide all glass is bad and have it replaced with cling film!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:roll: What a good idea [no]

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 19 Feb 2011

I think i was trying to demonstrate that if the glass broke on impact then the skull would decellerate more slowly and essentially be cushioned by the flex of the laminated screen.

The glass NOT breaking would be just like bouncing off a brick wall...

I did point out that neither case would be ideal and it's always best to look both ways before crossing the road, don't give cars to women, and never drive with more than 36 pints in you... :lol:
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 20 Feb 2011

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd best cut down the booze then!

I reckon we should all have large spikes ont he fornt of the car, and on the steering wheel, then every fucker would be more careful!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 20 Feb 2011

Windscreens are convex, a skull/head weighs about 5kg and is round, it will NOT penetrate a laminated windscreen regardless of speed (that a production car can reach). Laminated windscreens havent changed much in the last 25 years, but i wouldnt want a non laminated screen.

EuroNCAP does still favour the driver/passenger over the pedestrian, i imagine that will stick untill 2012. Which less than incidentally is the year the LandRover Defenders will no longer be made in the UK. God bless India.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Feb 2011

LandRover Defenders will no longer be made in the UK. God bless India.

That's OK then. We've fuck all left to defend!!!