General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

hello again :)

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 01 Mar 2011

Long time no see everyone on BX project. Sorry for my absence, my ex- girlfriend split on me, with no ifs, buts, whys, or whatever. Bitch. Anyway, it screwed me up, cos its the first breakup ive had since my wife died 4 years ago and it messed with my head.

Anyway, women, sod 'em.

My BX is pissing out LHM as well just to make me even happier, anyone got a cheap used non leaking front strut?
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: hello again :)

Post by Vanny » 01 Mar 2011

Neil Diamond, good song.

The BX is just pinning for your attention, it clearly has a 'thing' for you.

Non leaky strut you say, hmmm, not at the moment. Last of my known stock has gone. Gawd knows where the rest of them are!
ImageImage

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 01 Mar 2011

i think i may be after rocking horse shit TBH.

and please, try not to mention neil diamond too much, it makes me edgy.

Howard Marks, you can mention him as much as you like.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 01 Mar 2011

Shit dude, that sucks.

I have a couple of spares I was planning to rebuild (not that I know there's anything wrong with them, but my current struts have done 250k and would be nice to replace them with something fresher!). Maybe you could have one on loan as you need one urgently. Or have it till you find another one for me to replace it.

Postage might be an issue, unless you plan on exploring a recently abandoned hospital 10 minutes down the road from here (North Wales)… :wink:
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Mar 2011

Casual acquaintances are FTW. I'm pretty sure if she went I wouldn't get shackled up again.

Are you sure it's the leg and not the returns, cos you can still get the clip on's.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 02 Mar 2011

but Phil, there is only fluid in the returns if the internal seals are failing, otherwise there pretty much bone dry.
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 02 Mar 2011

Vanny wrote:but Phil, there is only fluid in the returns if the internal seals are failing, otherwise there pretty much bone dry.
True Vanny, and when those internal seals let go it blasts the returns apart and can empty the reservoir within a few miles despite trying to top it up as I learnt to my cost.
Progressive loss too, first power steering, then suspension so I parked up and gave up nursing it home before I lost brakes! :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 02 Mar 2011

Way2go wrote:Progressive loss too
Bull Shit, thats some hype Citroen told people to make them feel safe, it's never happened. The sequence is simple, hyraulic compont/line fails, all fucking hell brakes loose. Steering, suspension, breaks and intestinal contents all let go AT THE SAME TIME. It's a fact! That resistance you feel on the brake pedal is the soles of your trainers, and blind terror!
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 04 Mar 2011

Vanny wrote:
Way2go wrote:Progressive loss too
Bull Shit, thats some hype Citroen told people to make them feel safe, it's never happened. The sequence is simple, hyraulic compont/line fails, all fucking hell brakes loose. Steering, suspension, breaks and intestinal contents all let go AT THE SAME TIME. It's a fact! That resistance you feel on the brake pedal is the soles of your trainers, and blind terror!
That may be your theory but in practice it did exactly what it said on the tin!

1) Light came on, front suspension lowered
2) Fluid trail on hard shoulder, added LHM
3) Within a mile, Light again and front suspension lowered to bump stops before I found safe place to pull over
4) Added more LHM & saw it pissing out of ruptured return.
5) Drove on (hoping to nurse it home with the spare LHM in the boot) but one mile later lost power assistance to the steering, topped up again for another few miles but realisation dawned that best to find a safe place to park up, assess what's needed and leave it, to return with parts & tools another day.

At NO TIME did the brakes fail despite the reservoir emptying a few times. Also the brakes worked well without any sponginess from air in the circuit after replacing the strut and replenishing the reservoir.

It's perhaps also interesting to note that the rear suspension stayed up despite the front coming down to it's stops. It really was only because of this giving the car some ground clearance that driving the last few miles to a safe parking spot was possible at all. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Mar 2011

but Phil, there is only fluid in the returns if the internal seals are failing, otherwise there pretty much bone dry.
That may be Vanny, but every one I've had (4) at some time the returns have bust. Once replaced everything works fine, even though there may be some wear in the seals allowing oil to pass, it doesn't mean they want replacing. You will get roughly another 40000 miles out of them before that. I've only ever bought 2 legs and that was a long time ago.

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 05 Mar 2011

Bloody hell Matt, sorry to hear of your woes. Good to see you back on here though chief and hope you get your motor sorted out.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Mar 2011

:) I would have offered to come and give you some assistance (well take the piss probably).

But retirement aint wot it's cracked up to be and I may have landed myself a little job. will know in about 10 days and I will be out of circulation next week.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 05 Mar 2011

Philhod wrote:and I may have landed myself a little job. will know in about 10 days and I will be out of circulation next week.
Bahrain job but now the job title been changed to "Mercenary" perhaps? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Mar 2011

Yeah, they found out about me martial arts skills :)

No, those visits to Libya and Oman have been shelved till things err, develop. 8)

It's a company that I had as a client when when I worked for college. They have 10 apprentices now and Arthur their in company manager/ mentor wants to retire. He is 69 now and has been doing 2/3 days a week since he turned 65, so they want someone with relevant experience, to take over the role.
They contacted me last Monday and invited me in for a chat last Thursday. All went well and seems ok but I think the MD wants a word first.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 06 Mar 2011

That sounds ideal for you Phil. :D

Good luck with establishing the rapport with the MD.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 06 Mar 2011

:lol: Thanks. Yeah! He's new and I haven't met him before.
With this type of work MD's fall into two categories. The first wants someone who can report and discuss at his level
The second is somewhat unsettled by people with that ability, so you need to suss them fairly quickly and modify your approach accordingly. :lol:
If you want a job, that is 8)

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Mar 2011

Pretty sure I have one somewhere - no, I know I have one somewhere - it's just where!

Sorry to hear about the Mrs mate, get some Credence on, that'll sort ya! :wink: Like wot Matt said - can post, but I rekon it wouldn't be too much! If you can get the sphere mount jobby of the top then it means I don't need to send one, so it'll save on yer postage.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die