General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
jayw
Part of the decor

Towing rules Update

Post by jayw » 17 Apr 2013

I know we've discussed this before but it's nice to see the Gov have finally updated & clarified the rules.

The old system (for licenses after '97) implied that you could drive upto 3.5t and ONLY tow upto 750kg irrelevent of the weight of the towing vehicle. The 4.25t GTW was never stated and therefore caused the confusion (even in the courts).

They've now clarified the 4.25t GTW and the loophole i always abused: GTW upto 3.5t including ANY weight trailer providing it doesn't exceed the kerbweight of the towing vehicle. Which was always the sensible interpretation, (even though I had a 45 minute argument with a big-shot plod at Exeter services on the subject).

So now i can legally tow my Valver on the back of a 4x4 without having to argue the toss with another copper again! (i have the Mickey mouse license thanks to HM).

Source: https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driv ... ou-can-tow
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Towing rules Update

Post by docchevron132 » 18 Apr 2013

ahh, splendid! I too have a plastic licence, although I noted when my DQC arrived that I've been upgraded to drive Bendy buses without ever have had a test in one! Not that I wish to drive one..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 18 Apr 2013

docchevron132 wrote:I've been upgraded to drive Bendy buses
Thats just damn rude!

Pretty sure you don't need the D+E for Benders as the articulation is fixed and not classed as a trailer. But, i suspect you'd have to do some sort of additional training in order to drve one (which fortunately you don't want to).

Have you done the CPC yet?
Almost BX-less

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 18 Apr 2013

Excellent. That will make me legal too, not that I worried about it particularly. Round here you stand out if you're in a 4x4 and NOT towing some form of trailer it seems! I thought you were on a pre '97 licence Jay, as I was just after the cut off and you're older than I am :P
Image Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

I originally passed my test in '93 but got banned in 2005 for a "minor" speeding infringement. Under the circumstances of the case the Magistrates gave me a re-test rather than a 12 month ban.

So, i lost my 7.5t, Minibus and Trailer categories.
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 18 Apr 2013

I guess you can still only tow up to the plated vehicle max though, which is complete bull shit as, life most roof racks, they lash a default number on there and to hell with the vehicles capability. I've had 3.5tonne off the back of the BX (on a run way) and it was just fine!
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Vanny wrote:I guess you can still only tow up to the plated vehicle max though
Indeed, but with the right choice of tow car least us lot CAN actually tow a car on a trailer without problems.

One of my old companies used to tow portable toilet-blocks (really fancy ones) weighing 2.5t fully loaded on the back of a Defender 90. They'd never understand that even though the LR ws plated at something like 3t tow capacity, it was still illegal to tow over the kerbweight of the LR.
Almost BX-less

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 18 Apr 2013

and being and old twunt I can tow anything so fuckem ( well not quite but you get the jist)
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

jayw
Part of the decor

Who gets the jizz? ;)
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Apr 2013

jayw wrote:
docchevron132 wrote:I've been upgraded to drive Bendy buses

Pretty sure you don't need the D+E for Benders as the articulation is fixed and not classed as a trailer. But, i suspect you'd have to do some sort of additional training in order to drve one (which fortunately you don't want to).

Have you done the CPC yet?
depends on where the engine is! If the engine is in the back, which most are these days, Merc Citaro, Volvo B7RLA etc then you can drive it on a standard bus licence already.
If the engine is in the front bit then you have to have a proper bendy licence, which I now have, no need for a test or anything. Still wont drive them though, god awful sacks of shit.
And indeed yes, I have the CPC, along with City and Guilds and an NVQ, all that, just to drive a bus and tell people to fuck off!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 19 Apr 2013

mickey taker wrote:and being and old twunt I can tow anything so fuckem
I too have a proper driving licence and can drive and tow almost anything in the whole of Christendom :lol:

Not a bendy bus though - those things catch fire :?
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 19 Apr 2013

While i'm glad they stopped handing out 'go kill yourself' licenses, its cost me a bloody fortune just to add a couple of bits. I do officially have a 'transit van' license (well D1, but who the hell drives a non transit minibus?).

On the flip side, you only need a license if you get caught. There are a lot of things i've driven that i haven't had a license for.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 19 Apr 2013

jayw wrote:it was still illegal to tow over the kerbweight of the LR.
That's just for post '97 drivers though as I understand it. The Disco can tow up to 4 tonnes according to the handbook, but they have to be linked rather than overrun brakes above 3500 kg.
Image Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 19 Apr 2013

They were both post '97 drivers. Insurance is also usually invalid if you exceed kerbweight.
Almost BX-less

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 19 Apr 2013

Ah, that makes sense. never actually checked what the insurance says or even whether it covers trailer towing at all!
Image Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

Almost all insurance has to cover towed items (unless specifically excluded), they're only covered 3rd party, must be attached by proper and correct towing equipment like an OE Towbar or CE marked replacement (which makes mine unfit), driver has to be correctly licensed and adhering to Construction & Use law.

And insurers being insures they'll take any chance they can to get out of a claim!
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Christ i've never noticed mine my insurance to be that detailed. It normally just says 'tow at your own peril and give up hope all those that tow here' or something similar!
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Mostly because, to be honest, who actually reads their whole policy document including all the small print?

In fact, if you ever found the time you be surprised at just how may ways they have out of claims and you'll wonder what you actually pay for!
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Last time i really really looked, i determined that actually i wasn't insured to look at the car, let alone get in the damn thing. I don't particularly look any more!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Apr 2013

I'm fucked if I know what I'm entitled to drive. I got my licence in 1962 but had to change it to a pink and green thing in 1991, to drive in Europe.
It was 4 years before I realised they had missed my bike class off and I'll now have to take another test when my BSA is finished :twisted:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.