Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Madcav
Site Admin

Alfas, tell me why I should or shouldn't...

Post by Madcav » 17 Mar 2008

...can't fight it much longer: I REALLY want an Alfa Romeo 156, preferably a 2.0 manual. I know they have their detractors and it's a heart Vs head thing but I'm almost convinced to chop my beloved Astra in against one. Anyone got one or owned one? I seem to recall they say the 1.8 had a weak bottom end and the sele-speeds are troublesome so will avoid them. I also know proper checkable history along with receipts (includin cam belt change) is a must but all other things to look for and best model to get would be good to know. Cheers.

*Edited as I put 2.9 when I meant 2.0.
Last edited by Madcav on 17 Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 17 Mar 2008

know very little about alfafas apart from the older ones rust issues , newer ones seem to be poular and plentyful though
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 17 Mar 2008

Do you mean the 2.5 v6 petrol mate? next year the road tax is gonna be £440, going up to £455 in 2010!! I love the look of Alfas and would love a 155 V6. I don't think that alfas are a particularly reliable car and I've heard a few (both the petrols and the deisels) sounding like they've had it, like utterly shafted.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Mar 2008

hhmm.... well, reliability isn't their strong point, and indeed for the love of all things pizza like DO NOT get a SeleSpeed, it'll break you.

Check for good panel fit, FSH is a must, take it for a drive, does everything work? Check it all carefully.
Does the rear suspension knock?
If it does, walk away.

Does the steering feel "floaty" going round tight bends? If so, walk away.

Dont rag the engine cold, but get it up to temp and give it some beans, any blue / white smoke from the exhaust? Any top end noise? Any bottom end knock?
Does the oil pressure get to and stay at 6bar at high revs?
in short be careful, but find a good one and they can be a rather nice car to drive, get a bad one and you'll have to sell you missus to repair it.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 17 Mar 2008

docchevron1472 wrote: get a bad one and you'll have to sell you missus to repair it.
bonus :lol:
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

PiLsY.

Post by PiLsY. » 17 Mar 2008

156 eh? Prefer the 155 myself, but if you're thinking of a newer one the JTD engines are awesome. Can you get the 156 with a 2.4JTD?

stu
Established

Post by stu » 17 Mar 2008

Have you seen this?
Cheers,
Stu

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Mar 2008

Oooh, that could be a bargain.. or a heap....
hhmm.... for that money probably worth taking the risk.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 17 Mar 2008

mate of mine just bought a y plate 156 1.8 twin spark thing. 78k on clock. 900 quid. cheap and pretty, even if it breaks its only a case of fixing it.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 17 Mar 2008

Stu that's exactly what I'm after, cheers for that. That seems very favourably priced to me and could be very interesting. If I do get one it'd be a 99-01 manual box and I'm told if I get one reg'd before March '01 (or something like that) the tax is a bit cheaper. For now.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 17 Mar 2008

:? :? I`ts still a Fiat, with all their electrickery hang up`s :oops:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 17 Mar 2008

Philhod wrote::? :? I`ts still a Fiat, with all their electrickery hang up`s :oops:
Oi!

We drive Citroens. We don't expect the electricity to work.
Cheers,
Stu

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 18 Mar 2008

Stu, re-read that and realised it has no keys so too much of a gamble for me but thanks anyway. Signed up to an Alfa forum yesterday and got some good avice from the regulars. It looks like (as with any other car) they can e a bit of a gamble, potentially an expensive one, but still really fancy one. It'll have to be in red and as Doc said definately not a sele-speed!

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 18 Mar 2008

mickey taker wrote:
docchevron1472 wrote: get a bad one and you'll have to sell you missus to repair it.
bonus :lol:

One woman for sale. Well used and VERY temperamental. Dangerous to men and other women. Especially other women. Occasionally breathes fire and unsuitable for those of a nervous disposition, small/big children, small/medium/fully grown men, cookers, other electrically and gas operated equipment, car drivers and everyone else. Has airbags but not seen them in light years. Tendency to go silent in the middle of a blow out and has some parts untested in light years. No warranty given or implied other than she's guaranteed to disappoint. 17p ono or swap for red Alfa Romeo 156.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 18 Mar 2008

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bit steep on the asking price mate?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 18 Mar 2008

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would be a discount if in old money! ie d instead of p :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto