BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Vanny
Site Admin

Oh my god i hate exhausts!

Post by Vanny » 21 Aug 2008

FOUR FUCKING ATTEMPTS

and still the fucking thing leaks at the union between front pipes and the cross box at the rear. General problem is that the replacement question mark piece is absolutely WANK and really not the correct shape. Means the flanges dont match properly (while the pipes sit in exactly the correct location front to rear).

Tried two different types of exhaust paste neither of which have been successful, they pretty much get blown out of the joint every time the engine is started. Its a complete fucking pain in the arse waiting hours for the pipe to cool off!

Any learned solutions that might work? I'm almost at the point of considering welding the whole fucking lot together! Its been blowing at the same place since i put the engine together over a year ago.
ImageImage

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 21 Aug 2008

I know how you feel, as my G has got pattern front pipes that don't quite reach to seal properly with the dreaded front Y pipe connections, with the result that it leaks like a bastard and the car sounds like a shitter with a rotten exhaust, even though it's all new :evil: Twice it's been attacked with pastes, twice it's just blown it out again not long afterwards...

In your case welding may be ftw, but I've also been told LM grease might work, as of course it never dries out and retains viscosity at high temps. I've wondered about trying packing the joint with grease, rubbing it all round to create a thick airtight seal, and wrapping it with one of those high temp exhaust wraps and then bunging on the clamp?

Otherwise I've heard good things about Dum Dum sealing compound.

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

Vanny
Site Admin

is dum dum the same as gun gum?

Also, just for fun, i caught the pipes on the garage floor on the way out, looks like a bit of mess under there now :(
ImageImage

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 21 Aug 2008

Dum Dum

Not the same as Holts Gun Gum.

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Aug 2008

:? :? Usually the best solution is to prop it up on 4 stands. Assemble the front pipe and tighten sufficiently. Aseemble the rest of the system loose, making sure the cross box is the right way up. (i`ve had hangers welded on wrong) Fasten the pipe at the front end of the boxbut just loose enuff to adjust. Oviously the back last. I use a jack sometimes if necessary to achieve the best position. then tighten all round.
that usually works for me anyway.
I work the same way with all systems and the GS didnt leak either :wink:

OK guys will be back in blighty tomorrow. Too much sun here in Sweden :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

that is the method i used, didnt bloody help though. its not about setting it up right, the part is crap, doesnt vague match the one it replaces!
ImageImage

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 22 Aug 2008

Think we might have some of those ? shaped pipes at the farm.... Definately on my scrap 16v. You're welcome to that if you want it..
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 28 Aug 2008

Dum Dum is fuckin' ace stuff...........but not for exhausts! I have some on the rear wings of the morris for 18yrs and it's still not cracked!!!!!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die