BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Xantia..

Post by Philhod » 13 Apr 2011

Yes, there is a lecky lift pump in the tank, cheap shitty thing that costs £47 (and another £150 on top if you have it done)
Then the HP to the rail. There are 2 different types on the 2.0 and the 1.6.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 14 Apr 2011

Can't the HP lift from the tank then? And would a non hdi setup (like the BX) benefit from an inline leccy pump (like the 16v)?

On this note, another question: Right, I know diesels have a coolant fed fuel heater, be it the back of the block type or the labrynth type. What is it's function?
1)Is it to stop the fuel from waxing in cold weather? Cuz, what's the point as the fuel has winter additives to prevent this non?
2) Is it to lower viscosity to make life easier for the pump and improve economy? If so, what are the concequences of not heating the fuel?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 14 Apr 2011

The amount of fuel the HP pump needs to keep pressure up needs to be fed. The XUD doesn't need that so err no.
Fuel heaters were originally to stop waxing and the agent is sufficient here, but over in Sweden (et al) it is needed. It does do (2) as well.

We used to play a gas torch under the tank back in the 60's, to get the thing going. was -12 average (day) for quite a few years, that decade.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 14 Apr 2011

Philhod wrote:was -12 average (day) for quite a few years, that decade.
For quite a few years? Are you sure you're not getting your dates muddled and thinking of the last Ice Age?
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 14 Apr 2011

:P You weren't there sonny. I kid you not 61, 62, 63, 64. were the coldest winters we have had for a long time. I don't mean lots of snow, there wasn't too much of that, but generally - temps running from around xmas till end of March.
I left work at 5pm one night. We were in my mates Fraud 100E van, which for those that don't know was a sidevalve motor of 1172cc's. It had no water pump, relying instead, on a low slung engine and a high mounted rad and hot water syphonics.
We got about 10 miles before the thing started to boil, on inspection what had caused it was that the top 1/2 had boiled because the btm 1/2 had frozen, thus no circulation.
We had got as far as the "Mountain Dew" in Hindsford and were forced to go inside and wait for his dad to give us a tow.....oh and have a pint of course, seemed churlish not to :P

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 14 Apr 2011

Philhod wrote: :P You weren't there sonny. I kid you not 61, 62, 63, 64. were the coldest winters we have had for a long time. I don't mean lots of snow, there wasn't too much of that, but generally - temps running from around xmas till end of March.
Not just in the frozen north either! In Middlesex the Grand Union Canal was frozen to a depth of a foot and became a great icy playground for us kids. 8)
In some factory stretches though this was very risky as there were warm underwater outflows which reduced the thickness and accidents occurred as a consequence. :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 14 Apr 2011

Way2go wrote:us kids.
Ahhhh, finally I work out the age group of the mysterious Way2go! Mind you that's all I know now...
Image Image Image Image

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 14 Apr 2011

It turns over, but wont fire at all. Since the transponder in the pump doesn't match the key!
I had no idea there was a transponder in the pump, but there you go, apparently there is..
We're working on a bodge solution now.
I'm with you on the bodgery, Doc - on principle. It would be quite some twisted achievement for PSA to have made an XUD-engined car that couldn't be made to run with some kind of bodge.

Technology Scmechnology.... how about this quote from a newspaper interview with the new MD of Jaguar Land Rover today:

Speth becomes positively indignant at the suggestion that climate change, oil prices and congestion between them are relegating cars to technological obsolescence. "Airliners fly with 10 million software codes, you need 100 million for a car," he counters. "This is not outdated industry, cars are an advanced technology for the future."

He probably didn't mean "codes", but methinks there's something amiss here.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 15 Apr 2011

XUD's have LP and HP pumps in the pump body Bandit, so no, a leccy pump would be pointless..

The fuel heater isn't strictley required over here, but warmer diesel flows through the pump easier, reducing load and wear on the internals, and of course the warmer you get the fuel before detonation, the better it detonates when it does, er, go bang and wotnot.

David, I cant take the credit for the idea of the prescribed bodgery, but it goes thus:
Cut the armoured shield off the pump and replace the stop solonoid with a bog standard solonoid, siconnect the wiring at the multiplug to the transponder and remote to the pump plug the old transponder into the loom! Hence the key thinks it's all good, and with a regular solonoid fired from the same loom the car should never know the difference.
Personally I'd have just got a plain mechanical pump and fucked off all this bullshit lecktricky dhite, but there ya go..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 15 Apr 2011

Way2go wrote:
Philhod wrote: :P You weren't there sonny.
Not just in the frozen north either! In Middlesex the Grand Union Canal was frozen to a depth of a foot and became a great icy playground for us kids. 8) (
I remember one winter in the 1970s doing similar on Balderstone Mill lodge - twas much fun
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 15 Apr 2011

Yes there was an odd cold year around mid 70's. [chin] Wasn't it either before or after that fooking red hot summer? 76, I think. I remember it snowing like fuck on Easter monday one year around then. :roll:

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 15 Apr 2011

it snowed at Easter 5 years ago,

we had gone to set up the caravan on its seasonal pitch that we had at Oxford,

Just got the awning sorted when my daughter says "Its like narnia out there"
sure enough the biggest snow flakes I had ever seen were falling.
It was lovely and warm in the van but I dont think the kids were too impressed being out in the awning :D .

W2G where abouts in middlesex are you talking about ?
Do you mean the Greenford stretch of the grand union ? if so I used to canoe there as a kid with the scouts , used to put the canoes on the wall of the bridge near the ballot box pub , climb in and rock them until we slid off into the canal , even done it on ice a couple of times but it wasnt very thick , good times , no poxy EU health and safety regs to spoil your fun in those days ( prob about70/71 )

1963 was the worst winter I can remember , I was 4 at the time so just above snow level
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 15 Apr 2011

mickey taker wrote: W2G where abouts in middlesex are you talking about ?
Do you mean the Greenford stretch of the grand union ? if so I used to canoe there as a kid with the scouts , used to put the canoes on the wall of the bridge near the ballot box pub
This was on the main canal running through Norwood Green in the viscinity of Top Locks. :D A few miles back though as mentioned it was dangerous due to the warm/hot outflows of the Nestles factory in Hayes.
You were on the Paddington branch which splits from the main canal between the above two places. 1963 would indeed have been the year for the very thick ice.

I remember the Ballot Box well too, we used to go tobogganing down Horsenden Hill alongside the pub. In later years I worked by the canal at Alperton and used to bomb over to the Ballot Box as one of the few chosen lunchtime watering holes. Don't think there would be the motivation today to make the journey as it's now a "Wacky Warehouse" to attract the kids(parents). :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 15 Apr 2011

:shock: It was so cold that year, that all the Wigan locks froze solid.
There is usually quite a flow from these as they are the biggest consecutive lift rise in the country, 21 locks raising 220 ft over 3 miles. It never got above or even at zero for over 16 weeks.
While bert's car was being sorted he gave me a lift on his motorbike one morning. We lost it going downhill in Tyldesey, slid sraight across the road, still with the bike,right under a bus coming the other way. That would have been enough for a couple of days off nowadays, but as we were both OK and the bike, we carried on, got there 22 mins late and got docked 1/2 an hours pay :P happy days [chin] [no]