BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 07 Dec 2007

sounds like a VERY good way to do a lot of damage in a very short space of time!
ImageImage

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 07 Dec 2007

I agree boys, that sounds very ameteurish to me!
Get one of you to hold a large flat blade screw driver against the flywheel ring gear, while the other undoes the nut.
I seem to remember the doc and me doing it that way, but I can't remember on which car.

john s
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Dec 2007

:shock: :shock: Recipe for xmas cake mate :oops: :oops:Sorry, that should have read, "disaster".
(well I was thinking about xmas cake) :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 07 Dec 2007

went for the belt and braces approach

i took off the starter motor and plugged flywheel with a handy alan key while bandit looked on

then i took off flywheel casing cover while bandit looked on and jammed a screwdriver in

then i took a big fuck off piece of scaffold and undone the bolt while bandit lay on the floor on the other side of the car for some strange reason

but then i ran into another problem as bandit made another cup of tea

id assumed that the flywheel behind the starter motor hole could only be plugged in one position, thats when all other bits/cogs lined up ready to plugged themselves so i could take the timing belt off,

cause bandit didnt know fuck all so i thought id ask u guys again

its it just a the case of taking the alan key out of the flywheel hole and lining every thing up

or what

first time ive done this job and bandit well i supose is sociable enough but lacking in the brains department

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 07 Dec 2007

and i keep tellin yer its not a slver shed

its a silver surfing shed

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Dec 2007

You poor ill advised snot producing non bus driving bus driver..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

He was a pain in the arse cos he wouldn't shut up aboot crying and rain or summut.........

Anyhoos, what the daft old bugger was trying to say was that with the flywheel engaged in the TDC position, the holes for the cambelt pulley and pump pulley would not line up............at a guess they were out by 180 deg.....could it be there is more that one hole in the flywheel? Is it at all possible that in the past it's (a cambelt.....?) been incorrectly fitted to result in this.......?:shock::shock::shock::?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 08 Dec 2007

:P Yeah right, I don think so. [no] There is only one hole in the driveplate/flywheel. If it had been set 180 out it would not run coz the injectors would be sqirting diesel in when the piston was at the bottom and with the camshaft set 180 out also. the position of the lobes would have made certain the valves would clout each of the pistons in turn, every 4 th rev. An if you kept spinning it on the starter, you would achieve suitably disasterous results :cry:
In practice you wouldn`t get that far with the re assembly. when you have the belt on, you have to turn the motor by hand, for a couple of revs to equalise the belt stress. as soon as you hit a piston/valve. it would lock up and you would know you fucked up ..... big time :P
Actually what I do is time the btm 1/2 (with titanium rod) then turn the engine back 1/4 turn at thecranckshaft pulley. thenonce I`ve fitted the head and locked the pulleys, turn the engine forward again to fit the pin and then on goes the belt. whew al after lie down now :oops:

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 08 Dec 2007

Philhod wrote: . An if you kept spinning it on the starter, you would achieve suitably disasterous results :cry:

so you do know about my diesel engine history then?!?
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah I was down at the Doc`s the other week wasn`t I :lol:

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 08 Dec 2007

Well, that flywheel is definitely locked by the rod behind the starter motor phil.....tis bluddy strange I know that! but we didn't check for more holes so when the weather clears we'll have another spin and see what we find.
I didn't really think the 180 thing thro' did I :oops:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 08 Dec 2007

The crankshaft can't be 180 degrees out, but the camshaft and injection pump could be....
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Oooh, don't leave me on that cliff hanger mate!!! Seriously? How the F*ck did that happen? More importantly, how to put it right if it is the case?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:oops: Sorry didn`t make that clear.You can`t put the btm 1/2 180 out, only the top bit. The btm only goes up and down, it doesn`t know which stroke it`s on :lol:

It probably couldn`t give a shit either :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just follow the last few lines of my earlier post and you can`t go wrong
Cn`t go wrong, cn`t go wrong.................... :P

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 08 Dec 2007

right!!! hot off the xm site

steve says

The camshaft moves at a different rate compared to the crank so if it's 180 degrees out you just needs to rotate the crank another half turn.

If it's a few degrees out then maybe the belt was fitted a tooth out.

another bloke

Another complete turn, Steve.

yet another bloke

Have to agree with Peter and Steve - spin it one more turn

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Steve, from the XM site of minor errors wrote:The camshaft moves at a different rate compared to the crank so if it's 180 degrees out you just needs to rotate the crank another half no, FULL turn.
Fixorated in teh red.

The camshaft and injection pump rotate at half crankshaft speed. If you line the camshaft/injection pump locking holes up first, the crankshaft should be within a gnats of being at TDC.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

But the crank is effectivley locked, so we don't rotate it ...we need to rotate the camshaft & pump but by how much?

Facts are that the flywheel is locked at TDC (assuming only one hole and it's correctly locked)
The camshaft and pump appear to be 180 deg out judging by their normal position in relation to the crankshaft.

Crankshaft remains locked at TDC

So Pump and camshaft need to rotate by x deg clockwise......??

David
Part of the decor

Rotate the crank by 360 degrees and re-lock it. The camshaft and crankshaft will rotate by 180 degrees when you do this. This is assuming you haven't already removed the cambelt.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

oh ci ci he hombre intelligento. Capiche mon amigo...Belto timingus intacto complitos momentorios. Grazia....eh Chalios, 360 degres eh? Va bene non?

ta David....you make it sound so darn obvious I feel humble me lord :lol: Will do as you suggest when Charlie fuck bolx can be arsed to get his dumb arse up ere...........

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 08 Dec 2007

no dave we havnt taken the belt off on account that were a bit thick like

but were good at hittin thing hard like

and well i can shout a lot

ta mate

all become clear

:wink::wink::wink:

David
Part of the decor

The first cambelt you do is always a panicky one as to whether you've done everything properly. After half a dozen or so you get a little more confident. Once you've done 40-50 you have to make sure you don't get complacent.

I did get complacent, once. Had to remove a cylinder head and replace 2 bent valves. My mother was not best pleased about that.....

Note to self. Don't do that again.