Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Bottom end rebuild

Post by Vanny » 07 Dec 2007

Probably aimed at the Doc, but perhaps some others might have opinions!

I'm considering a bottom end rebuild next year (perhaps rebuild the spare engine and drop in later?), and some cooling changes, these are what i'm currently thinking;

1) 8v spacer and aircon sump (additional 500ml of oil capacity)
2) trap door baffle in the aircon sump
3) add S16 windage tray to the 8v spacer
4) increase oil pump depth by inserting a spacer
5) fit 2L mi16 oil pump spring
6) fit 26 tooth pump sprocket
7) fit extended chain for 26 tooth pump sprocket
8) fit pump baffle
9) ARP cap bolts
10) new bearing shells

what else goes into the bottom end rebuild?
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 07 Dec 2007

New Rings?

Can liners be machined or is it replacement if the're ridged?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 07 Dec 2007

Way2go wrote:New Rings?

Can liners be machined or is it replacement if the're ridged?
Rings are a good idea, but as for the other suggestion, l'd leave that well alone!

It's fairly unlikelythat the ridges in the cylinders will be that bad, even on a really high mileage diesel engine!

If you start machining cylinders, (bear in mind this is a race engine) you'd have to have over size pistons, now correct me if I'm wrong here, but i thought pistons are a weight balanced set?

john s
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Dec 2007

Is a pump baffle the 'coolest' mod mate.....?? :lol:

Ain't gotta clue mate but here's my tip: Drain the oil out before you start :lol:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 07 Dec 2007

no bandit, tis much easier to stick the engine in an engine stand and turn it upside down, that way you can reuse the oil later :D
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Dec 2007

You can use a honing brush on the cylinders before you "gap" the new rings It gives a really good glazed finish and allows the gapping process to be accurate. If it`s a valver has it got lightened con rods as standard? If it`s not got these they are worth fitting. If you are fitting new shells
(big end and main) Accurately measure the crank and if it`s more than half way to it`s next undersize. take it down to the next undersize and order the correct new shells.It really will be good as new then.
The rest looks fine.
:o Not sure about the M16 spring :? Why not fit the M16 pump? The vanes or lobes have finer clearances giving greater output pressure
:lol: NEW FRONT AND REAR ENGINE OIL SEALS :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops: Sorry I always come over serious when it comes to important subjects.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Dec 2007

/\ fuck me the old fella actually sounds like he knows what he's talkin aboot!!!!! Who'd of thought................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 08 Dec 2007

Philhod wrote: :o Not sure about the M16 spring :? Why not fit the M16 pump? The vanes or lobes have finer clearances giving greater output pressure
The m16 pump wont actually fit without machining (it has at least one different attachment pump) so the general guide has suggested just rebuilding the pump.

The spring brings the over pressure cut out upto 6 bar (from what i dont know, i think perhaps 5 bar?) and this is what allows the pump to provide more pressure. The additional teeth on the driver wheel also ensure that the pressure is there straight away. The other option of course is charge driven dry sump :D but i don't like dry sumps any more, there fucking penickity!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 08 Dec 2007

Hi guys.
Hey Bandit I`ve only been learning this job for 49 years 8) and bottom ends have not changed significantly since steam power all the thought processes remain the same. Sizes, shells, bolts, materials and lubrication.
OK I`m a diesel man at heart but have worked on high perf motor cycle engines, so those things become ultra important at 14,000 revs. :shock:

Just wanted to make sure the young fella had all those in place
( which he obviously has ) I`s a bit of a buggah when it all goes bang after a lot of work. :cry: don`t I know :roll: :roll:

8) Dry sumps are cool (literally) on bikes. Never had one on a car though 8) 8) 8)

Vanny
Site Admin

yeah i've got one on the aprilia engine, and its a twat to drain out the oil! Oh, its now on oil change number 7 and a whopping 103.5 miles :D

Don't assume anything with me phil, i'm very new to the game and seem to do most of my learning by cocking up!
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 08 Dec 2007

Don't assume anything with me phil, i'm very new to the game and seem to do most of my learning by cocking up!
One could argue that's the best, if not the most expensive way! :lol: :wink:

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Philhod wrote:Hi guys.
Hey Bandit I`ve only been learning this job for 49 years 8)
Is that all mate, 49 years..... :shock: [worship] [worship] :lol:

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:lol: :lol: Yeah I started my apprenticeship at 14 :shock: :shock: Didn`t realise it would go on this long though :? :oops: :oops: Every time you think it`s sussed, some bastard brings out something new to chew on :P

I mean Audi has just brought out lights that turn with the steering :shock:

An a DIESEL that`s won Le Mans 8)

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 08 Dec 2007

Philhod wrote::lol: :lol: Yeah I started my apprenticeship at 14 :shock: :shock: Didn`t realise it would go on this long though :? :oops: :oops: Every time you think it`s sussed, some bastard brings out something new to chew on :P

I mean Audi has just brought out lights that turn with the steering :shock:

An a DIESEL that`s won Le Mans 8)
Citroen did that years and years back with the SM I think it was :wink:
That's me knowing something on a technical thread, I'm off for a lie down now.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Vanny
Site Admin

DS, and i guess going by the 'shock' smiley that perhaps phil was taking the piss? Oh and aren't there a whole host of companies that have bendy headlights on top end models?
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

8) I was going to say irony is wasted on the young but Vanny just fucked that repost up :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like new technology wins le mans.

50 Year old new technology from the DS, comes round again....when other manufacturers eventually catch up with Citroen 8) 8) 8)

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

I stand to be corrected, for I is dim....but it seems to me that the Germans are good (not necessarily the best (look eastwards...)) at perfecting things.....i.e. the V.A.G. diesel engine ain't too bad, and ffs they are producing more torque and power per cc than the french....sad tho it is to admit it....
I do however hold this to be true: It is the XUD engine that started the diesel revolution.....once that 1.7td was produced, it dis-spelled the myth that diesels were slow...and 15 years on, it is still very competitive on a 0-60 basis, although torque at motorway speeds is lacking somewhat.
i honestly credit the french and esp the BX/(to lesser extent the pugs :lol::wink:) as being at the forefront of diesel technology and performance back in the late 80's/early 90's....

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 09 Dec 2007

Well, the XUD was certainly a lot more refined than the 16D engine in my mk2 cavalier! a whopping 53bhp, and with its 4 speed box a dizzy 86mph was possible!

I was sooooo glad when I got my C15D, much nicer!

john s
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 Dec 2007

The Germans are so good that BMW and Fraud have signed up with PSA to develop the next generation of diesels. Ford have been producing reliable but gutless diesels for years. Beemer have been producing very quick motors (new 3-0 d and 3-0 csi have the same performance figures the diesel just happens to use 1/2 as much fuel), but with rather dirty results :cry:
PSA on the other hand have always been ahead in the technology side and are now making the cleanest per power output, engines around.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hence the "we wanna play with you cries from ze uzzers"

<Smirk> That`s why my 20 HDI Picasso only costs £120/year to tax [bow]

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 09 Dec 2007

Thats interesting Phil, PSA not the most powerful by any margin, but the cleanest eh? Fords recent deisels are pretty reasonable tho aren't they? At least as far as performance goes, don't know about emmisions tho'.

Having said that, perhaps the reason the PSA engines are clean is that they are not overly powerful, where as with the germans its vice versa. Perhaps they (the germans) want to have their cake and eat it....?