Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Dec 2007

No no, messenger mate, or Windows Live Messenger or whatever the fuck it's called this week.

It's a live time typey / chatty thing like...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 23 Dec 2007

oh, ok, still means nowt to me????
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 23 Dec 2007

it's a messaging service that works over the net. You have a service running on your machine that logs you in to a server, an then anyone who has you listed as a friend can see that you are online and send you a message. Likewise, you have a list of friends and can see who is online at any time and send them a message.

Its sort of like a text telephone, with a system of knowing who is at home and who is out before you call them.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 23 Dec 2007

i dont think you have it Matt as its a hotmail (MSN ) thing and your on Yahoo
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 23 Dec 2007

Matt, you're thinking of Myspace - that's for kids.

What computer are you running? Assuming it's a PC running Windows, you'll have something in All Programmes called MSN Messenger, or Windows Live Messenger. The icon looks like a cartoon of a blobby little man. Hunt around the menus until you find something like "Add a contact" and enter my email address, which you'll find in my profile (click the buttons at the bottom of my message). Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Oh - if you've never used it before, it'll probably want to install a load of updates. Just let it do its thing.
Cheers,
Stu

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 24 Dec 2007

Never let it be said that I don't make complete use of all resources available to me.

The van's cylinder head. After refacing, grit blasting all the other gasket surfaces and grinding in the valves, it was washed in the parts washer de-greaser (which it doesn't fit in even slightly:

That just about removed the grinding paste, but there was still the issue of flushing the head through to remove any grit left in the coolant passages. Ordinarily I'd do that with a pressure washer outside, but it was dark, cold and I'd had enough. The head went in the bath and was washed out with hot sudsy water. Not only did that work quite well, washing out both the remaining grit and also washing out any oil/de-greaser from the head, but it also warmed my hands back up again.

How to dry it? Anyone who has visited me before will recognise this as the place I usually keep a pressure tub of waxoyl hot. The bathroom storage heater:

It's now super-dry and toasty warm at about 50degrees. Much nicer to work on.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 24 Dec 2007

A man after my own heart!
Christ if we shared a house we'd be murder!, we'd be arguing over who could have the bathroom next to put engine blocks!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 24 Dec 2007

David, what fluid do you use for the parts washer mate? The stuff Machine Mart supply is pretty crap tbh.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 24 Dec 2007

I used to use Trichloroethylene, (often just known as "trike") which is very effective but also rather dangerous. Accordingly I believe it hasn't been legal for many years now.

When that finally died I bought a gallon of motaquip engine degreaser. I think it's supposed to be one of those brush-on hose-off degreasers, but it works very well as a parts washing fluid too. Unlike trichloroethylene it tends to hold the dirt in suspension for rather a long time, but it is fairly cheap and easily available, and does work well.

I think the fluid that machine-mart supply is a derivative of kerosine and hence is a bit heavy as a degreaser. The motaquip stuff is a much lighter derivative of white spirit and hence would remove and wash the machine-mart fluid from parts.

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 27 Dec 2007

Bloody Buggering Hell.

Van engine back together, lash up the cooling system (as it needs to come apart again to re-torque the cylinder head bolts) crank it over... and it won't start.

Prime it, prime it again, and prime it some more, and it still won't bloody start. Crank it like there's no tomorrow, and it just about struggles to start. Smokes, diesel knocks, an all manner of uneasy running. and then it stalls. and won't re-start.

I'm hoping that it's just a case of large amounts of air in the fuel system, but I am a touch concerned: I did remove the injectors, which wouldn't normally worry me, but I had to belt them out with a rather large hammer as they were corroded in solidly. Eventually they came out, and cleaned them up in a gritblasting cabinet (with the inlet and the leak-off plugged) They looked OK and hence were re-fitted, but given the running problems I'm experiencing now, I do wonder if they're buggered.

The worst thing was the diesel knock when it did run a bit. Could a knackered injector really cause that much knock? My worry is that if I've knackered one of the pintle springs it's now injecting at a much lower pressure, and hence much earlier too.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Dec 2007

Also, if the pintle spring has collapsed it'll pretty much dribble all the time, and that can indeed cause MAHOOSIVE diesel knock. Enough to blow the piston crown apart... I have the evidence of this, not pretty!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 28 Dec 2007

bloody heretic doc, dont work david i'm sure it will be just fine, it is of course french!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Easier to change a set of injectors than rebuild an engine though.....

What the bloody hell are you doing awake at this hour anyway?
Shouldn't you be resting for a hard day of thieving??
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 28 Dec 2007

Problem found. Both good news and bad news.

With the injector lines all cracked off, cranking the engine was making a very suspicious hiss noise on one cylinder. It turns out that compression pressure was blowing back through the injector! Bugger. Remove the injector and sure enough the pintle spring is loose. Took it apart and found out why:

With Lucas injectors of this type, if you remove the top cover where the leak-off comes from, you loose the calibration of the injector. When I was belting all the injectors out of the engine all these top caps came loose and hence I've lost the calibration of all of them. Easy enough to get to to reset, but of course I have no way of resetting them.

So, I'm off to go and buy a small hand-driven hydraulic pump, a 0-3000psi gauge and some pipework so that I can reset them all to 122bar.

Bollocks.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

And there was I thinking they would be Bosch!
Bummer...
DTM recalibrate injectors for about a fiver a pop, but they are shut till Jan the 2nd...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 28 Dec 2007

docchevron1472 wrote:And there was I thinking they would be Bosch!
Irritatingly no. The U25/661 engine uses a DPA (up to 1987) or DPC (later) injection pump only. No Bosch units were ever used.

However, I have considered the possibility of fitting a Bosch injection pump from an XUD and modifying the head to take XUD-type injectors.

... or maybe I'll just get the bloody thing back on the road first.