Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Re: Highly interested in this (XM)

Post by Way2go » 11 Dec 2008

mickey taker wrote:how about a nicely specced xantia diesel estate
Doc would kill him and he's only just "down the road" from him! :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 11 Dec 2008

mickey taker wrote:how about a nicely specced xantia diesel estate for under £500 with 6 months tax

http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index ... read=51138
Cos mines better specced and quicker! :lol: Thanks for the linky but.....
Put briefly Suggs, I'm looking around non urgently for a few reasons:

1) It's a Xantia and not an XM!
2) It has the lucas Epic pump which has dubious reliability and whilst working fine and very well at the moment, is due by the laws of Lucas to go tits up any moment!
3) The current clutch has done 125K and whilst it's impossible to know when it's gonna fail, it can't be that far off. Plus it has (and always has had) a slow leak from the g/box which I assume is from the input shaft oil seal as it's not diff/drive shaft seal or sump plug related. This, linked with the fact that the service history shows the original clutch was changed at 30K leads me to believe there is some inherent problem with the gearbox.
Ergo, I'd sooner replace the Xantia and let somone else face those problems. I consider myself lucky to have had no problems at all with this car in the 8 yrs/90K except wear and tear items.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 11 Dec 2008

This would a good one to get if I had plentiful full swag bags to throw at it and a bit more time. But I 'avent so I'll give it a miss.
ive got a whole xm full of swag!!!!

that u can have!!!!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 13 Dec 2008

Ok then, whats the difference twixt these two?

XM Mk 2 Exc Auto and
XM Mk 1 Manual

OK, apart from the obvious

Mk 1 vs Mk 2
Manual vs Auto
Lower miles vx higher miles

The Green auto has a bit more mechanically wrong with it and higher miles. It also has no tax. It has a longer MOT tho'.

The maroon Manual has possibly better history (evidence?) and a few months tax but less MOT.

So why the £300 odd more for the older one? It's not clear if it has leather.

So is it the manual g/box? The reserve on the Maroon ph 1? The fact that it's a ph1 or that it has Savoy mentioned? I'm quizzed!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 13 Dec 2008

bandit wot you been drinking ?,

the green one has mot til May ( 5 months )
the maroon one has nine months mot ( that would be August or september)
no auto box to go wrong on the maroon one plus its had a new clutch and just been serviced and has done 44,000 miles less.
although I prefer the colour of the green one and of course the leather,
to me the maroon one is a much better buy only needing a radio refit and aerial
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 13 Dec 2008

oh and they have both had the cambelts done
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 14 Dec 2008

well you see you have clarety, whereas i have just claret! :lol:

As a counter arguement to your...er...arguement, the green one is younger, has an auto 8) and has leather!

So wtf is driving the (at this level of auto ownership) the increased price of the maroon vs the green. In some way, I was thinking is it to do with the lack of reserve on the green vs the reserve on the maroon??

Anyway, I have been drinkin' Bombardier x 2, Exmoor Gold x 1, some red wine, and some Cobra to complement the ruby! Back on the red now though !!!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 14 Dec 2008

I couldn't have an S2 XM, they just aint as cool.
I also wouldn't consider a manual, because the handbrake is wank on XM's and if I'm sat in a big barge I dont want to stir a fucking stick, it should do it for you.

The fact that the seller that replied to you says the fluid was clear would be enough to make me walk away, it should be RED, if it's clear it's either been in there for 3000 years, or it's Dexron 3 in it, in which case it's life is Uber limited.

I'd almost rather buy one that had a failed autobox working on the theory that the car would be worthless, and for about 300 notes in bits and a coupe of days arsing around it can be rebuilt, then you know the box is ok for another 10 miles at least!

I take your point Mick, I do, but I like the quint-essential frenchness of Citroën, nothing I've driven since owning the BX's has come close for me, and I cant knock the reliability of any Cit I've ever owned, I've never broken down in any of them, bar the XM when the engine destroyed itself, but that wasn't the cars fault.

The Ambulance never let me doen either, although it got REALLY painful putting fuel in it!
The Bristol never missed a beat, I kinda miss it now it's gone..

And for all the rust (which is getting less every week) 132 never ever let me down in all the hundreds of thousands of miles I've done in that!

Anyway back to XM's, AFAIK all S2's have an oil cooler, tiny little thing that hangs off a "coat hangar" bracket on the back of the rad.
They aint the best things ever, but do help.
When I get another S1 I'll fit a 3 row cooler under the rad so it gets cold air rather than air thats been through the intercooler, rad (and condensor thing if it's got A/C) before it gets to the cooler..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 15 Dec 2008

£206....a fucking steal! Surely is was fubared or else he would of put a reserve no?

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 16 Dec 2008

Thats alot for an XM these days mate. Unless you go to Wolsey House rip off merchants...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 16 Dec 2008

Yeah I know mate Wolsley motors are shocking expensive!

I still would of thought £200 for an XM was cheap dude no? Ir have they plummeted with all economic downturn shite?

On another note, I sat in the new C5 today - not overley impressed. Maybe my expectation were too high but it well of been a Mondeo inside (apart from the big fuck off chevrons).

Quite a nice place to be in mind but, well, it left me cold tbh. It was also the VTR version with fucking springs, a horrible ugly really visible low placed anti roll bar along the rear and only a 5 speed box!

I have no idea what engine was in it but most cars have a 6 speed box these days (diesels anyway). Wouldn't you have a top spec model in the showroom??? No one came rushing to try and sell m e one either - they must of thought 'this scruffy bastard can't afford one!' :lol: