Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Gearbox question(s)

Post by Bx Bandit » 22 Jan 2009

When (not if!!) I get round to upping the output on the TZD, I also want to up the gearing a tad to give it longer legs.

AFAIK, all BE3/5 TD gearboxes for all PSA applications have the same ratio/s. I found out somewhere that the BX GTi has a final drive closer to 3.6 than the 3.9 of the TD. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, am I right in guessing I'll need to swap the gears from the TD g/b shafts onto the GTi g/b shafts and then I'm away????

Are there any other options from Pug boxes or gears/drive shafts from the MLT/5 g/box?

The aim is to reduce revs/noise at motorway speeds
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Gearbox question(s)

Post by Vanny » 22 Jan 2009

did you ever decide exactly what you where upping? If you want to reduce noise i would consider some of the other options, i can't think that the diesel is all that noise at 3.5k rpm
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

tis noisy compared to the xanty - much more so! I'll certainly do some soundproofing, but if there is a reasonably easy way of dropping the revs a tad in 5th (be it by different final drive or just 5th gears) then all the better for noise (and economy)
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

theres a fucking easy way to do it you know!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Jan 2009

:lol: :lol: There is no difference in the later boxes and they fit on the earlier engines ok.
I found this out when I did a few petrol/ diesel conversions a few years back.

The crown wheel is yer different item so if you`ve fueled and cam`d it for acceleration you will nicely take it away again with longer legs. :P

The simple solution is to get an engine cover from a 2L HDI. Being direct inj it is noisier than the XUD, but that keeps it quiet nicely. OK, so you will have to make up soome brackets from 3 x 12.

I know which I`d rather do 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Vanny wrote:theres a fucking easy way to do it you know!
Don't say ear plugs!!!!!

Phil, won't that just deaden 'outside' engine noise rather than cabin noise? Wouldn't it have to be bulkhead/fire wall located?

Vanny
Site Admin

no, retard . . the acceleration. 65 is way quieter and more economic than 90!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Jan 2009

Dunno mate. All I can say is the BX has good bulkhead insulation and a large (deep) scuttle.

The Picasso has next to none and a short scuttle.

The BX has no engine cover.

The Picasso has a substantial engine cover.

The BX is noisy

The Picasso is quiet.

Well that was how I got there anyway :P :P

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Jan 2009

Well, my final drive is 3:1, and the bix has a mish mash of cogs, which I cant remember fully off the top of my head, but I can rememeber that 1st is from an early N/A box and 5th os from a GTi 8V box.
It kinda works ok, although the drop between 2rd and 4th, and 4th and top is a tad too much really.
That said the box is starting to get a bit noisey, so I'll probably pull it apart again soon and build a new one.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 23 Jan 2009

Vanny wrote:no, retard . . the acceleration. 65 is way quieter and more economic than 90!
True.....but it's fucking tedious!!!!

Christ 3:1 is low then dude! It's only really 5th that I wan't to drop, but I thought the only way to do it was the final drive - but then of course the matching gear has to be changed as well.
I'll have a ponder at the various ratios. How are the gears secured on the shaft Doc?

Phil there's a cover/chute for the inter cooler air on the TD - is that the sort of thing you mean?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 Jan 2009

Erm..... no I mean get a HDI one (it`s big). make up some brackets to attach. OK so you will have to cut a hole in it for the I/C but its only plaki. If you M/out the slot, drill the corners, bung some masking tape on and c/out with jig saw ergo good fit no noise 8)

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 24 Jan 2009

Bx Bandit wrote:Christ 3:1 is low then dude! It's only really 5th that I wan't to drop, but I thought the only way to do it was the final drive - but then of course the matching gear has to be changed as well.
I'll have a ponder at the various ratios. How are the gears secured on the shaft Doc?
Erm ,well technically 3:1 is high, but yeah.. I had it made at Llewellins gears Ltd down the road.

Have a look in the Haynes mate, it's actually quite good for info on box strippage.
Most of the cogs are located on splines..
If you only want to up the gearing on 5th then it's easy to remove the fifth gear set, as it's seperate and lives under the end plate.
Not sure what gearset you'd replace it with though unless you had some made...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 24 Jan 2009

Well that's been the challenge mate in finding out what ratios are available. I think one of the petrol ones is higher geared (gleamed from the HBOL) but some of the boxes from HDi cars will be higher geared but I think the g/b are different i.e. not BE3. I think one of the petrol diffs around a 3.6 as well

I won't go down the road of having stuff made mate, that's crazy horse stuff and only for the hardcore like yourself!!!

I suspect it'll end up stock tbh but I like finding out about this stuff and it would certainly make it more relaxed on the m/w.

There's a semi plan to make the BX the main motor and have the Morris and Valver as 2nd cars..

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 24 Jan 2009

[clap] WOW!!! A Morris crossed with a valver as a second car [bow]

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

:lol: :lol: Be a good engine to put in the Morris!!!! But not so good tother way round :roll: Which reminds me of that bloke (forget his name) on BXC who has a 1.4 but has made it look like a valver. FFS. Surely put the D6C engine in the 1.4 poverty spec BX and wolf around in your sheeps clothing - but don't bother doing it the other way round cos it's shit!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 24 Jan 2009

:D I once welded a complete second floor in a moggie. The car ended up on the front page of cars and car convertions. I also welded lots of extra metal across the boot floor, wheelarches and the same in the engine bay. Every time I asked him what he was up to, all I got was, Aha, wait and see.
I never did see till it appeared in thre mag.
I think the rest of it ended up with a Vitesse 3,5 lump upped to 3.9, with 5 speed manual with o/d. Matching diff with a shortened prop.
At the front he used a Jag front drop beam, chopped and welded, and double wishbone set up.
The back end was a cop out in my opinion, he just used large cart springs with big dampers and the 2 A frames I made for him, bolted to the axle and to the body under the floor.
I think he had a Panhard rod locating the axle sideways.

I think that`s got the juices flowing, anyone know where I can get a minor body :P

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Philhod wrote:
I think that`s got the juices flowing, anyone know where I can get a minor body :P
[chin] errrrr, no!!!!!

Sounds ace mate. Another 'thing' on the to be owned list is a V8 of virtually any description!