General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
tomsheppard
TROLL

BX challenge

Post by tomsheppard » 18 Apr 2009

I have posted my views on BXC about this. It seems to me to be a very dodgy undertaking with a risk that it will do nobody any good. I'm instinctively against "charitable" events that cost the participants (or donors?) much more than the charity receives. The whole idea of a sponsored holiday on the back of a charity seems to me slightly fraudulent (although I have not posted this as such) and I have my doubts as to whether it is at all viable.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: BX challenge

Post by Bx Bandit » 18 Apr 2009

As far as I could see, the petrol/food/board/ferry etc etc would come from people's own pockets as if it were a holiday. The idea of sponsorship in theory then would be that any money raised from sponsorship goes straight to the charity.
If the above is the case (and I think it is) then I don't have a problem with it at all. It's a good idea but i think the timing is sadly and unpredictably bad and the whole thing has been over-egged on BXC
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 18 Apr 2009

My view of it is that it helps to justify the whole thing to wife/work/friends etc with it being a charity event. If I just came out with "I'm going on a holiday driving round France with a bunch of guys I know from the internet, no beaches or sightseeing, just driving and probably a fair bit of drinking" the response would probably be "Why the fuck do you want to do that?"
If a charity can benefit on the back of such a (hopefully fun) trip then it seems to be a win win situation in my eyes. Sure, if all the participants gave the money they would have spent on fuel etc straight to charity then they might get more cash overall, but in my mind that's missing the point.
Image Image Image Image

tomsheppard
TROLL

Post by tomsheppard » 18 Apr 2009

Yes, I worded that badly, I realise that people will be paying their own expenses but to spend £1000 to raise an equal amounbt seems not to be quite right to me. Still it is their own money. I'm a little concerned about certain legal aspects of all this though. If anybody gets hurt, there'll be Hel to pay.

(Hel: overlord of the cold world of the dead, according to Norse mythology. Now centrally heated, presumably.)

Chilip Phidlow
Getting Started

Post by Chilip Phidlow » 18 Apr 2009

I have posted responses to Tom's concerns on the BXC forum and really there's no need to repeat them here, suffice to say I will endeavour to quell concerns.

I do however take exception to the suggestion that this is a fraudulent sponsored holiday. FFS Tom, who is sponsoring this 'holiday'? Certainly not those donating or pledging money to the cancer charity. Every penny (plus 28% GiftAid bonus) goes to the charity. I suggest that, without an event to sponsor those putting their hands into their pockets wouldn't give.

Although there was a burst of over-egging of the BXagon for the first formative weeks/months :roll: on the BXC it has, I think calmed down to a reasonable level with a dedicated sticky etc. If, on the other hand I do take my foot off the gas it won't grow and may wither. So bear with me! :D

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Apr 2009

tomsheppard wrote:(Hel: overlord of the cold world of the dead, according to Norse mythology. Now centrally heated, presumably.)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the concept of it, I'm not against charity and that shit, but it's not personally my thing.
I give to a few animal charities, since I prefer animals to people, but thats just me, I'm a miserable old bastard.

If the health wasn't such a major issue right now I would be going, but for me it would be the driving holiday aspect of it I'd be going for, if I raise a few quid for charity then meh, thats all good I guess, but it wouldn't be my deciding factor.

YBH, I have no idea how the legal aspects apply here, but I am reminded of a bus rally a few years back that was offering free rides on privately owned classic buses.
Each bus has it's own insurance, and public liability insurance, it's an ass on with the spec insurance, my bus has it, as do most others I know of.
Anyhow, a bus at said rally was pulling away and some old cow fell off the platform step.
Despite the bus being privately owned, and that vehice being insured for such eventualities, the woman sued the event organiser, and it ended that rally, and destroyed the organiser.
I know it's not the same thing as such, but the whole "where does liability lie" issue is a murky one that maybe does need looking in to further. Unless Phil has already done so?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Chilip Phidlow
Getting Started

Post by Chilip Phidlow » 19 Apr 2009

I have looked into the liability issue and to get further and more concrete protection from litigation I am arranging the relevant insurance and documentary support. The cost will be met some way by the joining fee. Contrary to what Tom suggests, it was never my intention to do this without full written, confirmed and insured protection. It's just that it isn't complete. Having said that Tom's observations - although unecessarily derisory IMO - have spurred me to redouble my efforts and give everyone the PROOF of this protection.

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 19 Apr 2009

tom the shepard

versssssssssssssususssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Pee the childlow

bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight
bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight bitch fight

[clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 19 Apr 2009

who , like me, thinks Charles lord of Welshshire has been on the cider again :lol:
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Chilip Phidlow
Getting Started

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No fight. But if I ever meet you Tom.... :lol:

tomsheppard
TROLL

Post by tomsheppard » 19 Apr 2009

You'll be in trouble :twisted:

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 19 Apr 2009

introducing in the blue corner thumping Philip Chidlow and in the red corner terror Tom Sheppard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pe0rNieL-Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Chilip Phidlow
Getting Started

:lol: Very good.

Why will I be in trouble Tom? I was only going shake your hand. Have you got a disease I should know about? :D

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Apr 2009

If it's diseases you want then I have loads of them!
Also got some cows up the farm with TB, rather annoyingly they are right next to our shed.
My advice: Dont eat the local burgers!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 20 Apr 2009

I noticed they sound rather chesty the way they keep coughing....
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 20 Apr 2009

Have they been at the LHM lately, mistaking it for night nurse?

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 20 Apr 2009

docchevron1472 wrote:If it's diseases you want then I have loads of them!
Also got some cows up the farm with TB, rather annoyingly they are right next to our shed.
Meh! TB, nothing to worry about, I used to voulenteer to cover the infectious disease room in ICU because I was usually guarenteed a quiet shift.
eant getting lots of shots to cover myself for all sorts of weird things and I had an arse like a pin cushion once when i got bitten by a patient, but otherwise good fun and nothing to be worried about (if you have had your shots...)
Image Image Image

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 20 Apr 2009

Father Ted wrote: I had an arse like a pin cushion once ...)
there he goes talking about his arse again :lol:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 20 Apr 2009

I'm not worried about it as such, it just disturbs me when I'm plugging away at the bus and these diseased cows keep staring at me like they want to strip me naked and ride me like an otter!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Apr 2009

:) FTW Cow fantasy's :P

It's actually the cow shit I'd be more worried about :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.