General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
charlie
Part of the decor

motorbikes !!!!

Post by charlie » 21 May 2009

i am gonna be needin a small runaround motorbike to chase the sheep about as im getting on a bit

a mate at work has offered a y plate piaggio 50cc ncr for £250 with a newish mot

but its well battered and a bit of a dog

soooooooo a bit over priced me thinks

saw this which looks more like it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-PIAGGIO-NRG- ... 913.c0.m22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but am open to suggestions

and advice

jonathan_dyane

Re: motorbikes !!!!

Post by jonathan_dyane » 21 May 2009

You *need* an MZ in your life! How does a two stroke 250 sound? You'd easily get a belter for a couple of hundred, and they're reliable, well made, easy to fix and nice to ride. Parts are easily available and cheap too...
Would recommend an ETZ as they almost all came with oil pumps, which saves dicking around with premix.
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 21 May 2009

Charlie - does it have to be 50cc? Have you got a full licence or can you even do the CBT and rag around on a 125 (or even a Plak90??) Avoid the 50ccs like you would avoid Graham Norton with the bubonic plague - they are slow, under powered and in todays traffic frankly dangerous.
£250 should bag you a nice Plack90 and whilst they are totally unfashinable and look spacktastic, they do return over 100mpg, do 55mph and are pretty unbreakable.
Image Image Image

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 21 May 2009

Father Ted wrote:Plack90.... pretty unbreakable.
Unlike the rider on it.

Are you sure you want to become an organ donor?

If you're going to get a bike, you need to make it a 1200cc (or thereabouts) Harley Davidson type bike. 30rpm flat out, and a lot of chrome. Win.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 May 2009

Harley.....................err no I'll leave it

Err what FT said charlie. 50's are only any good for about 6 months.....after that they are worse than useless. Plakers are indeed unbreakable and a lot of fun :P :P
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 22 May 2009

Charlie, if you need to collect a bike from far away, I have a motorbike trailer.
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 22 May 2009

right then, ill be leavin the 50cc bit behind then,

cause i did wonder about the power bit with me being a fat bastard,

but obviously over estimated the power in new motorbikes :D :D

Harley Davidson type bike. 30rpm flat out, and a lot of chrome.

and sorry dave, quite frankly id chop me legs off first before id get on a harley never mind buy one

never brought into the american hog bit, and a few of me old british biker friends from years ago would shoot me if they found out :oops:

Charlie, if you need to collect a bike from far away, I have a motorbike trailer.
ta mate will bear it in mind

so ill check out the mz and placko bit : 8) 8) 8) 8)

and

what can and cant i ride with me car and bus license

size, L plates, how long for

ta

:)

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 22 May 2009

Car licence since beore 91 = 50cc without L plates, CBT , nuffink - but will be painully slow and dangerous

51cc - 124cc (max power 15BHP) you need licence, plus CBT - then rag round on L plates for 3 years, but the Govt thieveing twats now make it so that you have to do theory test and retake CBT maximum o twice before commiting to test, or loose the provisional biker bit For 12 months.
Check out Yellow pages, but many local bike schools do crash corses for 5 days and guarantee a pass - mine cost £250 when I did it. And apart from alling off (becasue I was being a stupid twat, my fault) it was the best thing evah.
Image Image Image

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 22 May 2009

I have a licence for a motorbike having passed the test years ago before all the extra restrictions came in on engine size and CBT etc. At that time we could ride up to a 250cc on a provisional license.
I havent ridden for years and the technology has improved dramatically. It's a sobering thought that I could jump on the most powerful bike known to man tomorrow and legally ride it (& rag it)!
If I did have another go, I would be more inclined to buy a bigger engined machine rather than an egg-whisk under 250cc. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 22 May 2009

Way2go wrote:If I did have another go, I would be more inclined to buy a bigger engined machine rather than an egg-whisk under 250cc. :wink:
This is kinda what I really meant above. A bike with a decent size engine rather than a hairdryer.

Not necessarily a Harley, but you know what I mean. I'm sure Triumph have made something of that ilk.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 May 2009

[clap] Triumph now make some of the best bikes on the planet. James next door has one and the idiot let me have a go and now I'm hooked again.

Snag is........ I passed my bike test in 1961 and my car one in 1962....In 1989 I applied for a new (pink) licence, to allow me to drive in Europe.
Unfortunately I never noticed that my bike details were not included on it.
When I queried this a few months ago I was told their records dont go back that far and I would have to go through the rigmarole that FT describes...Utter bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will defo complete my '59 350cc BSA B40 later this year, so I'll have to find out if I can ride it.
I know it's a 350 but then again, it has less than 15 bhp?????

And yes Charlie I wouild have twatted you with a baseball bat If you had so much as looked at a Harley :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 22 May 2009

I came perilously close to buying a second hand Triumph Legend a couple of years ago but made the fatal mistake of asking the missus if it was ok if I got it on finance.

Charlie: try and find a Honda CG125 as a first bike.They're fucking brilliant: totally reliable, enough go to get you round and fucking mega on fuel. Keep away from cheap Chinese shite though and work to theory if you haven't heard of the make it's probably wank and you'll never get parts for it.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 22 May 2009

right , for a start theres nothing wrong with Harleys as long as it isnt a bloody sportster , they aint fast coz there not meant to be so you need to compare them with things like goldwings not fireblades,

Ive had two an old electra glide and a chop both loads of fun fantastically reliable and comfortable as your favourite armchair , I love British bikes my favourites being the vincent black shadow my uncle used to lend me and an 850 norton commando, had a couple of bonnevilles a T120 and a trident but all they used to do was leak oil and shake themselves apart favourite jap bikes ever were the Z1 kawasaki and the suzuki GT 750 ( flying teapot )
dont like chinky bikes Honda Cg 125 is a good little machine but would prefer a 125 suzuki or yamaha trial bike if I just wanted something to blat around on ( then again I am 6 ft 4 and trialies tend to come up bigger ).
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 22 May 2009

Philhod wrote: Snag is........ I passed my bike test in 1961 and my car one in 1962....In 1989 I applied for a new (pink) licence, to allow me to drive in Europe.
Unfortunately I never noticed that my bike details were not included on it.
When I queried this a few months ago I was told their records dont go back that far and I would have to go through the rigmarole that FT describes.
Do you not still have as momentoes either your cancelled green license or the previous red book licences showing the m/c group included on it? Surely these would have to be taken as proof?

Even under the previous system you couldn't drive 350cc on a provisional licence, the maximum was 250cc. So it looks like you won't get 'on the road' until you can prove with the foregoing or pass through the new test system.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 22 May 2009

David wrote:A bike with a decent size engine rather than a hairdryer.
How about an an 8.2 litre V8?
Image Image Image Image

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 23 May 2009

I passed my full motorbike test back in november 1988, on a Honda CM 125 like this one

I regulatly went all over the country on it, as far away as lowestoft even!

My first proper bike however, was a CB 400/4, like this, but mine was totally fucked!

When the engine blew, I needed something to go to work on, so I was given a CD125 benly, like this one.

This was also ultra reliable, but a bit slow, as I had a 30 mile trip each way to work. So I was offered a CB650 cheap.

I later sold it to my dad when the money ran out. When things gpot a bit better, I bought a CM250 like this
Which I didn't keep long, as It was too slow for my liking.
I thought I'd really treat myself to the bike of my dreams, and I bought this....

I really loved this bike, but as at the time I was still only 22, I just couldn't afford the insurance, so I sold it, and left the bikes alone for the next 15 years,. Of course, I really missed it, so, I got this CB650 nighthawk, which I stikll have, but I am in the middle of restoring it.
The engine was a bit tired, and leaked oil everywhere, but I'm sorting that out.
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 23 May 2009

I would love a GT750 'kettle'. If anyone spots a cheap one (unlikely I know) please get in touch.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 23 May 2009

this is confusing..........

is this right ??????

if i brought a 50cc and because ive had me license before 2001

i dont have to take the CBT and dont have to show L plates

and no test

if not then

all i can get is up to 125cc

then i have to take a CBT before im allowed to ride at all

then must show L plates and no motorway driving

and then the CBT lasts for two years before i either pass me test or take another CBT

then theres two types of test

light and standard

light = 75cc to 125cc with a max of 11kw power

standard = 120cc to 125cc with a speed of 100km, and then im limited to 25kw of power for two years unless i take the 35kw test

fuckin ell they do make things straightforward do they !!!!!!

so whats the difference in the two tests then ????????????

and this before i even buy a bike :roll: :roll:

sooooooooooooooooooo

it looks like its gonna a be a max of 125cc with me budget of around £500

then the mz is out

the honda sounds good :wink:

but what exactly is the plack 90 cause i cant seem to find anything on this at all ????

[chin]

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 23 May 2009

charlie wrote: it looks like its gonna a be a max of 125cc with me budget of around £500

then the mz is out
You could get an ETZ 125, which is a rather more gutsy machine than the CG125, and much better if you are tall, but I admit not as economical.

Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 May 2009

No I have no documentary stuff left, I did have the little book one for ages, but it would be nearly 50 years old now!!!!!!!

Each to his own Mickey, The only Harley I rode that was any good was the sportster !!!

The rest are all about image, you have to have the syncopated exhaust, have a small pudding basin helmet, goggles on top of your head, steel toecaps, oh an a red bandana round your neck.................
.....bunch of fuckin posers!

Suzy Kettles are FTW. I put a chair on mine, because it was winter it was cold so I fitted a
heater out of a mini. the fuckin thing ended up burning your legs :P