BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Madcav
Site Admin

Ok, it's NOT a BX but electrical help sought...

Post by Madcav » 04 Jun 2009

...so I've got a 'new' car and nobody on here except me will like it (it's a Vectra Supertouring) but it's got an annoying fault: it has a remote locking keyfob which works as it should, ditto using the key to lock the car.
However after locking it and walking away the hazards flash randomly and no amount of unlocking/locking with the keyfob or the key makes any difference.
The car remains locked once closes and doesn't try and open again and it appears the alarm siren has been disconnected, I'd imagine because it was sounding when the hazards flashed.
I can only think something is telling the alarm system that the car has been tampered with or something but how do I stop the hazards from flashing when I've locked the car up please?
Inciodentally I've noticed at night that the radio display console on the dash remained lit up last night, could it be something (like that) is draining the battery and making the alarm flashers go off?
Thanks in advance,
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Ok, it's NOT a BX but electrical help sought...

Post by Philhod » 04 Jun 2009

Sounds like some bright spark has wired the sound system direct to the battery, rather than through the fusebox. How that affects the alarm system I havn't a clue mate, unless it's an aftermarket one and was wired in by the same cretin. :?
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Jun 2009

Could be on the money there.
If it's a genuine alarm (and it sounds like it is) then if the radio is taking a constant draw the alarm will detect that the battery is being drained and think something is being tampered with maybe?

I had this on a mates XR2, aftermarket alarm thing, big fuck off stereo that had a bastard great amp under the passenger seat. The dick wired the amp direct to the battery, so it was loive all the time.
As soon as you armed the alarm, or it auto alarmed after 30 seconds of door close it detected that something was drawing current and fired the siren.
Ran a relay from the radio power antenna output to the amp, no more trouble with alarm.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 05 Jun 2009

Billy, did you fit the alarm yourself? Did you have adult supervision?
ImageImage

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 05 Jun 2009

Hahahahahahahahaha, nice one Vanny!

Erm, there is no stereo fitted, came without one. Could a couple of the wires be touching behind the dash or something where he took stereo out or perhaps one isn't covered and is earthing out somewhere?
I'll have a better look at the weekend and see if I can spot anything.
Cheers for the replies gents, much appreciated.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 05 Jun 2009

Putting my blondeish wig on, could it quite simply be because there is no radio/stereo there, and the alarm system (is it Vauxhall or an aftermarket one?) is expecting it to be there? The integrated radio display on the dash seems a clue...

Madcav
Site Admin

Ah, like that theory thank you Sir. The last owner (who seemed genuine) said he'd not had a problem and he's removed the radio prior to driving up to me.
Thanks once again, I'll give that a try.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 05 Jun 2009

Ahhh, yup , my money would be on the Vaux radio - later CANBUS cars they are integrated -0 you have to have teh cars brain told that the radio has been taken out - find a friend with a laptop and Tech2 installed (I have tech2 on a disc somewhere) and a lead - get it to switch the radio off (effectivly disconnecting it) - I had similar issues with the multiplexed Berlingo whne I tried to install a Sony head unit - problems with the central locking / immobiliser and the fact the new stereo needed a platefull of lives and switched lives bringing from various other points eventually led to me sacking it off and putting th eold radio back.

Oh and fitting another Vaux radio wont work - it needs to be coded to the car, so again Tech2 session ....
Image Image Image

Madcav
Site Admin

Someone else suggested removing battery leads, leaving a few minutes then putting them back on which I suppose is worth a try.
The car is 1996-ish one so although it will have fault code readable bits on it I'm hoping it will be too early to have fuck about with laptops and all that shit.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 05 Jun 2009

why did the bloke take the stereo out ?, I mean they are only any good in another vauxhall with the seperate display anyway.

Is there no chance he would let you have the stereo back as the car dosent seem to be much use without it
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 06 Jun 2009

Only other thing I can think of mate is that one of the 'air disturbance' (I forgot their proper name) sensors is either being triggered or more likely faulty???? Or possibly a faulty door lock switch?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Jun 2009

Volumetric pressure sensors I believe...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Jun 2009

oooooooh, hark at him!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 07 Jun 2009

I suspect the Radio is definitely the issue here. The alarm arms, and then detects that a component is missing, and it assumes the radio has been stolen, hence the alarm fires.

Easiest thing to do would definitely be get the radio back.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Jun 2009

On my booklet it says Perimetric Doc. But hey, what's in a word :P

My plip has disintegrated. Is there any way this can be retrieved or is it terminal??

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Jun 2009

I bet 2nd hand ones pop up on flea bay phil...worth a look!

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 07 Jun 2009

Philhod wrote:On my booklet it says Perimetric Doc. But hey, what's in a word :P
Perimetric usually describes an alarm that guards the hinged panels (doors, bonnet, boot etc) by means of hard-wired switches.

Volumetric burglar alarm sensors fall into several types: ultrasonic, microwave, passive infrared (PIR) and combinations of the above. You don't hear a lot about ultrasonic sensors these days. But microwave and especially PIRs are common.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:? Well what are those things high up either side of the windscreen, facing slightly down and backwards? They look like tiny speakers about 10mm dia.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:? Well what are those things high up either side of the windscreen, facing slightly down and backwards? They look like tiny speakers about 10mm dia.

According to the booklet they are perimetric sensors and measure movement of windows or doors and sunroof. They also detect changes in air pressure.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 07 Jun 2009

Probably volumetric sensors described as a perimetric system by the French to English translators. :P Although the words don't mean the same, it would seem that the distiction may have been lost to the motor marketers. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto