General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Vanny
Site Admin

PIC Microcontroller programming

Post by Vanny » 05 Dec 2009

Anyone ever had any experience, or know where to find the info?

I'm looking initially to build up a PWM controller, partly for work and partly for myself, then later expand to a feedback controller and possibly something that can be stimulated my Simulink.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: PIC Microcontroller programming

Post by Philhod » 05 Dec 2009

8) stimulated by a simulink eh!!! OOH missis :oops:

I only know how to programme machinery!! not up to much with PLC's :roll:
Last edited by Philhod on 05 Dec 2009, edited 1 time in total.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 05 Dec 2009

Part of my degree, but I pissed it all against the wall along with the beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages....
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

It was a very small bit of my degree, spent about 4 hours programming a Basic stamp and found it very easy, easy enough to develop a full app with output in just 4 hours. Problem was the rest of the 'Group' did fuck all so the project never worked!

Anywhoo, its a big step to go from a stand alone basic stamp lighting LED's and making scrolly messages, its another question to make a closed loop controller, or engine management!
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

I can add nothing helpful I'm afraid mate. IIRC, I was crap at most areas of whatever I studied, but microprocessors was one of the things I never really grasped. I had beer and wimmin on me mind tbh :oops:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

See now i had a really engaging and smart lecturer so i paid a stack load more attention to system architecture than any other module. More importantly i had to fight internally the Engineering and Electrical departments to let me do the module along with stacks of red tape. Ironically, that single module has helped me more in my (short) career than any other, so go me!
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Go you babe. I wasn't born for engineering really, I sort of felt obliged to do it, but also didn't know of anything else to do.
One of the best things I learn't from working in the engineering field was not to be afraid to enquire about what you don't know, rather than work under the umbrella that you know everything. I'm not suggesting that's what you do at all mate btw.

As a graduate, people expect you to know everything about everything. My first job was in thermo-forming, which is not as simple and predicable as you'd expect, certainly not within the automotive arena. I had to abandon all my expectations and build upon the experience and knowledge of the team. They were the best people I have ever worked with, from Thurrock in Essex. Fantastic Bunch.

Vanny
Site Admin

Bx Bandit wrote:I'm not suggesting that's what you do at all mate btw
Ergh, actually boss, thats exactly what i do! I ask more stupid questions than Craig Charles when narrating Takeshi's Castle!

I've been lucky to be honest, everyone in my department did a similar course at uni AND they anticipated that i would know nothing at all about the field. It has meant that i have all the help i need 247 and usually surpass expectation. Oh and if i ask a stupid question i get a straight answer right away!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Dec 2009

8) 8) I've been at this game for 50 years and can honestly say, I can count on one hand the number of UN helpful people I have come across.
Most engineers I have had the pleasure of working with have gone out of their way to answer silly questions, even helping with college work !!!.
You also meet up with tradesmen and semi skilled, who do parts of things that you KNOW quite a bit about, but they do it very very well and you learn more that way that any other, as you are finding out.
Engineers, by definition are enquiring minds, always seeking solutions to problems. They usually read a lot, gleaning information from anywhere.
They are usually neither proud or disdainful, have a good sense of humour and like to take the piss a lot :lol: :lol:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Vanny wrote:
Bx Bandit wrote:I'm not suggesting that's what you do at all mate btw
Ergh, actually boss, thats exactly what i do! I ask more stupid questions than Craig Charles when narrating Takeshi's Castle!
:lol: Well that's what I meant, in that, ask any question you feel you need to, despite how silly you may feel. People are mostly willing to help. They'd rather an unsure but willing learner than a cocksure know it all.
One thing I do like is that you still need to earn respect, at least in my experience. It puts you under pressure but you don't half learn a lot, and outside your sphere too!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

:lol: That's interesting, virtually the same view but from different views (p.s. I'm from the young end :lol: :lol: :wink: ) good stuff, but no longer for me, despite the fact that I think it's a genuine (but sadly dying trade to be in.

Automotive especially is demanding and aggresive. Not for me though, too much a distinction betwixt it and the everyday world!