BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Supercharging

Post by Vanny » 26 Jan 2010

Megasquirt, probably not the greatest, but you won't find a greater amount of support for any other DIY system.
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 26 Jan 2010

Had a look at the Megasquirt, all looks a bit basic? Ideally I want something i can tweak on the laptop sat in the car. Although I don't mind paying for initial setup on a RR.
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Jan 2010

Megasquirt reminds me of this bird I once sh........................................ [coat]
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 26 Jan 2010

Me too, she was a gusher...

Name wasn't Michelle by chance :lol:
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 26 Jan 2010

Erm, thats what Megasquirt does, it is very very powerful as it is open platform so in theory there is nothing it can't do! Megasquirt is hugely flexible in that you can add as much functionality as you like (from 32 cylinders to remote engine start), however it is only as robust as the person building/installing it. Everything is done trhough a laptop and you can tune on the fly. There is a relatively simple process to tune it from conception to birth (that is getting it from a box of wires to actually starting it and driving it away). If it where me based on functions, cost and support it is by far the best option, for you i'm not so sure.

The almost inverse is something like a Dastek system. It is very robust, probably German, but you won't be able to tune it all yourself. Certainly not with a lowly laptop.

If you want job intent and off the shelf the Walbro do a fully mappable ECU, primarily for a motorbike, but under 3litre engine it would run anything (4 stroke petrol mind) with or without turbo/super charger. Its also tiny! The installation and programming manual is very indept and the guy that designed the ECU is contactable by email. Its also only £80. Problem being a) its spanish and they like to have breaks b) i think it is meant for education institutions only.
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 27 Jan 2010

Ok, going back for another look at Megasquirt...

Been looking at an Emerald ?K3?... Know anythin about them?
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 27 Jan 2010

Dave Walker, very nice man, he used to have a valver, and some or more of the dev of the Emerald was done on a valver. There is an engine tuning haynes manual (its crap/very basic) written by DW and heavily features Emerald system.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 27 Jan 2010

He writes a column in Practical Performance Car, and he certainly comes across as OK in it and sounds like he knows what he's talking about!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Jan 2010

The problem with computery people is, yes, they certainly seem to know their subject extremely well, outlining benefits and snags etc.
It's when you ask them to actually DO anything. The next sentences ALWAYS start with ...Ah but!!!!!! :x

I can't get anybody to tell me what sort of hand held diagnostic computer I need for the Picasso.

It's always ... what year is it ...03, ...when 03.....June. ...Ah, but, err that was the change over month....it could be X, or it might be Y. Oh wait....it could actually be Z.

Wankers [doc] [doc] [doc] [argh] [argh]
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 27 Jan 2010

Generally, I'd TOTALLY agree with you there Phil!

But there are exceptions...at work we’re getting a new database system designed for us, and no matter how many complications we seem to come up with (the project is already a lot more complicated than the original brief) they come up with a solution. We’ve yet to go live with it so it could all fall down I suppose, but the ‘in progress’ system they’re working on and we’ve used seems amazing.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Is the picasso computer not simply a KWP2000 format, in which case any KWP2000 protocol reader will do the trick??

I have a generic one for work, but you'd have to program it to work with a Picasso, finding all the PID's is usually pretty easy though.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 27 Jan 2010

jayw wrote:Me too, she was a gusher...

Name wasn't Michelle by chance :lol:
errrrrrr, no, although I have shagged a bird called Michelle.........for some bizarre reason. Think big ole ass, short spikey black hair (almost a flat top) with teeth like she can chew an apple through a wire fence. I didn't get much sensation and she complained I was 'small'. I replied that whilst I may have a small organ, I didn't expect to play in a Cathedral! :mrgreen:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Jan 2010

:lol: :lol: Nice one Bandit!

Well you answered part of my case in point there Vanny :)

I have no idea what sort of computer my Picasso has and quite frankly if I never find out what a PID is, it will be too soon. 8) But once I have a reader I will read up and learn how to use it correctly. For me using technology is not a problem, I can learn, but I have to rely on someone else to make sure I have the right kit and up to now I've come up empty :x

We have 2 Picasso's, both diesels. Dek's is a June 01 and mine is a June 03 and I want a hand held code reader with re set facility, that we will be able to use on both. Budget around £250.

Non of the so called experts I have spoken to will give me a straight answer. I.m loth to ask the manufacturers coz they just want to sell you one and will say anything you want them to say.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Fault codes;

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?c ... ault_codes

Pin Connections for OBD2

Code: Select all

1) Manufacturer discretion. GM: J2411 GMLAN/SWC/Single-Wire CAN. 
2) Bus positive Line of SAE-J1850 PWM and SAE-1850 VPW 
3) Ford DCL(+) Argentina, Brazil (pre OBD-II) 1997-2000, Usa, Europe, etc. 
4) Chassis ground 
5) Signal ground 
6) CAN high (ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2284) 
7) K line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4 
8) - 
9) - 
10) Bus negative Line of SAE-J1850 PWM only (not SAE-1850 VPW) 
11) Ford DCL(-) Argentina, Brazil (pre OBD-II) 1997-2000, Usa, Europe, etc. 
12) - 
13) - 
14) CAN low (ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2284) 
15) L line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4 
16) Battery voltage 
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

Pretty sure Pugs run on KWP2000 protocol, but i might be able to check that tomorrow
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 09 Feb 2010

Now ordered the ATB diff at a bargain price of £480 all-in.

Anyone know of a Richard Walker (about 26 from Portsmouth)? Built a 400bhp Rotrex'd GTi-6 a couple of years ago?
Almost BX-less