General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Aerodynamica
Getting Started

Went into Halfords today

Post by Aerodynamica » 24 Jan 2010

So there I was with a low LHM situation - noted over the last couple days. Traced the leak I think to the accumulator sphere - cleaned up seal and mating faces and refitted the thing (it's only 5 months old) a bit tighter. All good but I needed to top up the level.

GSF are closed on a Sunday and Euro Car Parts are too far from me at the other side of Glasgow. I thought that although Halfrauds have it at £7.99 for the 3L stuff that going all the way across town would just end up costing moAr. So I visited HellFrauds due to its proximity (a mile away)

Got there, find the LHM and recoil in shock. The parts desk is right next to it and the wee guy there is like "are you getting on ok there sir"? to which I reply: "yes, everything's fine except the PRICE" - the cost of LHM in Hellfrauds now is ... ... . . . . . £10.99 [clap] so I tell the nice guy that it's a mental price as it used to cost £8 there (as if that wasn't bad enough) and that it was £3.99 in GSF (for the Morris stuff)

I said my thank yous and left post haste.

I think I can wait till during the week for GSF to open :?

I know HF gets a lot of gyp these daze from all us car ass holes but the place truly used to be OK. I recall the days when you could get just about anything you needed (or didn't need) from there..

Ah, when I was young.... (like 5 years ago)
(all spelling wrongs are right^^ )

I have a CX

I want my BX back

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Went into Halfords today

Post by Vanny » 24 Jan 2010

I believe you can still get the barrels of LHM from GSF (20 litres), will take you some serious leaks to get through that!

Spoke to Total a few years back and they are able/wiling to sell LHM direct to the public, by the pallet, might be the thing to do when i make my first billion ;)
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 24 Jan 2010

I looked myself not long ago, isn't that price at £10.99 for 1 litre?

Halfrauds seems more for chavs to me!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Aerodynamica
Getting Started

Aye bandit, it might have been just a litre. Either way £11 chuffing quid?

I have a CX

I want my BX back

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 24 Jan 2010

Unfortunately the bosses at Halfrauds decided in 2005 that there was a massive market in stick-on tat and massive GANGSTA alloys shod in cheap nasty Korean plastic-rubber.

Unfortunately for those of us that don't pay £3k a year for insurance because mummy won't let us on her insurance Halfrauds were right, it was a shrewd business move and put their pre-tax profits up by 30% and has continued to grow since.

Lets face it, where else can you buy 'Lexus Lights' for your 206 (which isn't a Lexus you fucking morons), 5" chrome tail pipes and cheap nasty 50" subs for your boot where the shopping' supposed to go!

It's all just arse-gravy of the nuttiest kind...
Almost BX-less

Aerodynamica
Getting Started

Really is but fuk me - who else opens on a sundaye :evil:

I have a CX

I want my BX back

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 24 Jan 2010

Carrefour is open on a sunday, the big ones sell a lot of car stuff including filters, oil, sump washers, LHM basically useful stuff, oh and tools and the like.

Pain in the arse going to France for a litre of LHM though!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 24 Jan 2010

Bargain Booze is open Sundays, You won't get many car parts but you probably won't give a fuck
by after lunch 8)

I get most of my stuff from a one man band who just has a small unit and a counter, about 1/2 a mile from here.

Got 2 sets of front pads and a pair of new discs for the Picasso's yesterday. £35 for the discs and £14 x 2 for the pads. Well over £100 from Citroen for the same items.
Mind you, he still charges £3-50 for a liter of LHM. :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 24 Jan 2010

jayw wrote:Unfortunately the bosses at Halfrauds decided in 2005 that there was a massive market in stick-on tat and massive GANGSTA alloys shod in cheap nasty Korean plastic-rubber.

Unfortunately for those of us that don't pay £3k a year for insurance because mummy won't let us on her insurance Halfrauds were right, it was a shrewd business move and put their pre-tax profits up by 30% and has continued to grow since.

Lets face it, where else can you buy 'Lexus Lights' for your 206 (which isn't a Lexus you fucking morons), 5" chrome tail pipes and cheap nasty 50" subs for your boot where the shopping' supposed to go!

It's all just arse-gravy of the nuttiest kind...
:lol: :lol: Too true :lol: Nutty arse gravy it is!

But it's fucking awful. It's almost as if that if you have a genuine car part enquiry, then don't bother. It's more like Chavfords :o
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 25 Jan 2010

Happily in Brizzle we have Millards, a proper old skool car accessory shop, that does machine oil, axle grease, still has an Arkwright till and the two old dudes that run the place still wear peoper engineers coats all day!
I fucking love the place, and even though some places are cheaper I'll still go there over almost anyone else. LHM is £4 a litre at Millards, and they open Sunday, fuck all use if you live in Glasgow though...

I'll actively go out of my way to avoid halfrauds if at all possible, there's a few here in Brizzle, and Gloucester, and they are all uniformly utter shite.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 25 Jan 2010

:lol: Yeah, Goerge's where I go is a bit like that. Incidentally, the cheap pads he sold me actually came with new bolts for the caliper, pre treated with loctite.!!!!!! 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 25 Jan 2010

At least the bloke on the parts counter didnt try to sell you DOT4 like the daft twunt at Blackpool Halfrauds did to me a few years ago...

me - Im after some LHM
Monkey - whats it for?
me - a 1992 BX Im a bit low aand the stop light keeps flashing on when I brake...
Monkeey - Oh we have this (hands me DOT4)
me - no, I need LHM, its green
Monkeeey- This will do sir, its a superior product...
me - ummm, no if I put this in my tank I will knacker my rubber pipes and seals, so do you have any LHM then?
Monkeeeey - This is fine for your brakes
me - what about my steering and suspension too?
Monkeeeeey - "?"

I got a bit irate at that point and then a slightly better dressed moneky arrived (it might even have been the organ grinder) who got me a VERY dusty pack of LHM which cost about £7.

Should have gone to ECP.
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 25 Jan 2010

should have stuck the Dot4 in then ran the engine outside until the suspension went pop, then walk back in and ask for some LHM!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 26 Jan 2010

and several hundred pounds from the till to replace every hydraulic component!
I'm guessing said monkey was about 12 years old, with spots and a name tag that read "Steve"?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 26 Jan 2010

sounded more like a 'Kev' to me
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 26 Jan 2010

Vanny wrote:sounded more like a 'Kev' to me
Can't have been, all these spotty teenagers from the '90s lack of birth-control were named after places, inanimate objects and household appliances... Theres a lad in his late teens down the road called (and i kid you not) 'Zanussi' (as in the washing machines), mind you, he is foreign so could mean something where he comes from...

Other choice names for Halfrauds staff: Kyle, Brandon, Levi, Chantelle, Tyler, Courtney, Brittany, Chelsea, Zachary.... etc. etc. Pop into Halfrauds, Basingstoke and meet them all! They're all worthless pieces of turd...
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Jan 2010

Bluddy hell, they're all chavs!

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 26 Jan 2010

nuffin rong with alfords I got me subs, amp and blinging alloys from there and no one does air fresheners like theres.

actually the only thing I have bought from there in years was my daughters bike and only because it was half price
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Jan 2010

I bet it was set-up like a Afghan camel though!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 27 Jan 2010

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The local branch have stopped stocking Haynes manuals (no call for them), and have jusy ditched actual useful shit, like waxoyl since the only stuff they sell is shit wheels and stick on detailing.. Now has TWO FUCKING WALLS of stereo's, but no spark plugs... Life as we know it has ended..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance