General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Suppliers

Post by Philhod » 27 Jan 2010

I don't know if anyone has used them, but I just bought an exhaust back box and tail from
Auto-on-line.
Ordered it on line Monday evening, just arrived Wednesday lunchtime.

Welding's a bit ropey, but at least as good as the one coming off. The only difference is the turnover on the end of the tailpipe, which isn't chromed.
Now Citroen wanted £124, but the local dealer offered me a deal, £85 for one he "happened" to have in stock.
This cost me £45 including postage....no contest really.
They have some limited BX stuff as well, so worth a look.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: Suppliers

Post by Bx Bandit » 27 Jan 2010

Will have a look mate!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Jan 2010

Was that for the Picasso? Cos if that was a price for a BX exhaust, I'd be collecting myself from the pavement!

Could be time for a "suppliers that still stock BX bits" and which BX bits maybe??
Some are getting impossible to get, like ABS driveshafts, flexi hoses, panels, rear wheel bearings etc..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Jan 2010

Yes it was Doc but have a look see, there is some stuff on there for the BX.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Jan 2010

Will go look after I've finished posting the usual daily verbal drudge on here mate!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Jan 2010

:) Well, I fitted the cheap exhaust on the Picasso this afternoon.

Went on with no problems at all. Fits dead ctr of it's recess in the bumper but sticks out about an inch further.

My weld repair from last August hadn't failed, when I got it off. It was the main seam that had opened up...., well fooked :)

It's the original box, so at 6 years old + I can't complain. I had some silver radiator paint left, so I sprayed it with that, as it does catch a lot of shit where it's situated 8)

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Jan 2010

Happy days!
Saying about lasting 6 years which isn't bad.. is it just me or do things generally not last as long these days?
I mean, the old cars I've had int he past, and indeed the many cars dad had over the years, exhausts seemed to last forever, as did ball joints and driveshafts..
These days they seem to last 5 fucking minutes..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Jan 2010

:( Your right Doc, they don't. I have evidence to back that up too.

We did tests on items such as bearings and shafts and other components, in the metallurgy dept, about 3 years ago.
It's down to cutting costs by reducing material specs I'm afraid. Although tolerancing has improved over the years, the quality of the materials used have been compromised.
If you source bearings direct from the manufacturer (I use Abex) You can specify grade and it's priced accordingly. :)

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

I find all this sealed for life stuff to be shit really. Stuff with grease nipples (if greased regular like) seem to live forever....

But yes, when I look at "new" driveshafts for the BX, and compare them to shafts from years back, they just dont even look as good..
The CV joints on a set of shafts I have from 1988 look far suprier to the joints on the TD, which are fucked after 2 years and 30K miles...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Jan 2010

I'm with you on ball joints and bearings, all the way. It seems the last few years I've had to do at least one bearing, a track rod and a lower bj every year before MOT. The front end on both BXs are rattling like a robot having a wank.

Drive shafts as you say are shit. I recon one from GSF is shit and half fucked already. The ones I removed from the Xantia yesterday have done 160K and you wouldn't know it. There's very very slight slop in one and none in the other. Well built big fuckers too.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

sad really, given the failing supply of bits for shit old french cars..

I'm begining to think sacking the BX's off and getting something mor modern is called for, or go the other way and get a Moggy minor, or an MGB or something really old you can still get all the bits for..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

It's crossed my mind once or twice but for the moment I'm bx ok! Go old mate, no road tax, piece of piss (and a pleasure) to work on and individuality to boot! Modern cars FTL, they are just dull. No matter how good i thought the Xantia was (and I still think it was a really good motor (for a euro box)) it's being scrapped cos I can't be arsed cos it's dull and I don't have oodles of affinity for it.

Speaking of old cars, I had to get the Xantia to the top of the drive so I can strip off the running gear and then the pick up dude can errrr pick it up, rather than drag it up the drive (from the bottom) as he did with the TGD. Anyway, had to start and move the T2000! I just love that car, and it really is FTW.

Will parts be made for the BX like they are for the Moggie/Triumphs etc?

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Bx Bandit wrote: Will parts be made for the BX like they are for the Moggie/Triumphs etc?
in short....no.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

[chin] arse!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

BX's are largely owned by people with no money, whereas MG's and Moggies and the like have a massive following, there are many left and owned by true enthusiasts.
There aint many BX's left, people dont on the whole spend lots of cash on keeping them going and they're weird french things..
Sad, but true..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Mighten the tide turn if they become uber rare? Then I guess even if someone does make parts they'll be uber £££££! Shit!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Doubt it TBH mate.
I suspect they'll just die out, and only be kept by people that are rich and nuts..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Tis an odd one, cos I can't see a rich fucker having a BX! Yet, they'll die a slow and painful death otherwise!

What other cars have gone a similar way???? See, my Dad always liked the Renault 16, are there plenty of parts out there for them? Bet there are as there seems to be a certain following.....not dissimilar to the Bx maybe?

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 31 Jan 2010

I'd be surprised if there were - I mean how many Renault 16s do you see as everyday drivers? If they're only kept as show cars, then bugger all is going to wear out and need replacing hence not a massive market for spares.
Depend on how many bits they share with other models too, so with the BX that's a plus point for some of the oily bit, sharing with the Pugs of that era. I'd be confident that any bits shared with a 205 will continue to be made for a good while longer.
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

[chin] [chin] [chin] [chin] [chin] [chin] [chin] (< I like chinny dude) Very good points mr Matt The Smiley Cat. That means we're truly fooked then, really.........

The last time I saw A Renault 16 was on my driveway (well, my Dads driveway) some 30 ish years ago! NHR 565 R was the reg of our last one. The previous one was some sort of knob cos he described the reg as National Hotel Romeo 565 Roger! What an arse...............nice car though