General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Varying degrees of fire and damnation..

Post by docchevron132 » 20 Feb 2010

So, my telly died.
After 13 happy years together the HT transformer failed. I scoured the whole internets trying to find another one, and thought I'd found success, but whilst delving deeper into the bowels of the set I discovered the power transistor had burnt through the PCB.. Did fond another transistor, but couldn't find a new PCB.
Despite trying to bodge it by remote mounting the transistor and soldering flyleads to the PCB this resulted in sound and picture for about 2 seconds before the thing burst into flame.
Sadly I took the set to the tip, and I'm sure it wept a little as I drove away.

Having had a very expensive month I decide to go the Trade-It / bay of Evil route for another set.

Whilst I'd like another 36" of happiness I've been outbid by some margin on everything I thus far had a stab at.
So, I've found a set in Portishead, on the bay, only 28", but cheap, and it finishes tomorrow, and I've out a fairly high max bid on, so I should have telly over the weekend hopefully.

Then the router decides to start arsing around.. BT wont sell me one, but are happy to sell me a "home hub" which brings so many joys it should make me come in my boxers apparently. Since I dont want a fucking home hub I go looking around for any router I can find thinking "a routers a fucking router" right? Wrong apparently.
But this time the bay of evil comes up trumps! £3.95 for a Voyager 210, plus 3 notes delivery. Buy it now, thanks very much, job fucking done! Should have it monday. So for once something goes smoothly!

Just when I think I'm getting on top of the current electrical issues the fucking stereo has a hissy fit and goes pop!
Since I largely listen to the media player now it all works as it should I've literally just hoofed it out of the window...

And I've replaced about three million light bulbs here of late..
Have checked the mains supply and found it varies from 220volts AC to 270volts AC..
Now, since thats a tad out of spec, do you think I'd have a claim against the electricity board?
Ok, none of the shit I had was new or owt, but if it keeps killing stuff I'm going to get very pissy, and poor, very quickly..

Still, a rad to fit oin the morning, but not before rescuing a table from my previous address, some fiddling with 9009, maybe collecting the telly from the bay, hopefully some welding on the bus, my managers leaving do to go to... all joyus shit right..

Whinge over, carry on..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: Varying degrees of fire and damnation..

Post by Bx Bandit » 20 Feb 2010

That's how I felt last year mate. Telly, washing machine, dishwasher, boiler, Xantia all fucked up, one after the other. Got on my man boobs so it did. I wish you'd mentioned the router shit mate, I have one here you could of had!!!!! You can still have it if you can worm your way out your purchase (before you do that, just let me know and I'll make sure Mrs Bandit hasn't binned it - she's getting savvy with my hoarding instincts! :evil: )

What's the new telly mate? Good old CRT?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 20 Feb 2010

Would have thought you have a claim mate - you're getting something outside of the specification you paid for, and as a result you're out of pocket. If they do get arsey and say "How do you know your meter is correct?" I can sort you out with a calibration certificate!
I'm just trying to think whether we've got anything that would create a log of the incoming voltage. [chin]
Image Image Image Image

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 20 Feb 2010

270 ac volts at yer plug sockets?

Something is very wrong me thinks. Ive never seen more than 240 apart from when one of our phases shorted here at work and different sockets were giving anything between 180 - 320 volts oddly enough.

As for claim, probably not, they probably have some mega tiny small print saying due to the nature of elastic-trickery they cannot be held responsible for voltage fluctuation or some such shit.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 20 Feb 2010

Should have mentioned the telly and Router Chris...

You could probably got the both for free here: www.freegle.org.uk

Join your local group and you can get (and give) all sorts of shit for free (CRT's come up VERY regularly)...

I've been using it to get rid of my junk for years and there's a local group almost everywhere!
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Feb 2010

Bugger! Oh well, thanks for that, I'll sign up, still got lots of tat to get shot of!!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Feb 2010

Oh dear.
I wish I'd come on earlier.

I just got a new 32" flatscreen job and my perfectly good 26" Samsung with digibox is doing nowt. You could have had both and my redundant Netgear router mate with the greatest of pleasure.
If you need owt give us a shout.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Feb 2010

Thanks mate, alas I now have picture and sound again, although going from 36" to 28" is a bit of a shock, it seems so small..
It was bloody cheap though, £20!
Dont like the remote though, it's a proper jobby, but does a vcr aswell, and it's generally big and shite, so I'll try and find a better one!

Router's in transit, and I really couldn't knock it at £7 delivered! Might get a couple more to keep in stock!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 22 Feb 2010

Philhod wrote:Oh dear. a new 32" flatscreen
If you need owt give us a shout.

[chin]

i'll have the flatscreen then

please

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Feb 2010

:) £309 from Amazon on line :)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 22 Feb 2010

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll stick with the £20 little jobby until it fails now I think. It nearly killed me getting it up top the house, I'll be fucked if I'm moving it again unless I'm forced to, and then I suspect it'll go straight out the window!

In other news, Matthews quite tidy TZD estate has just been killed. Shame really, it was a turning into a nice car, so now there wont be a P2 valvered break..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 22 Feb 2010

If I get let down this weekend (again) my healthy TZD Turbo estate will be available...
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 22 Feb 2010

docchevron132 wrote::
In other news, Matthews quite tidy TZD estate has just been killed. Shame really, it was a turning into a nice car, so now there wont be a P2 valvered break..
Why what happened? I thought you fixed the rear suspension cylinders?
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 22 Feb 2010

docchevron132 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll stick with the £20 little jobby until it fails now I think. It nearly killed me getting it up top the house, I'll be fucked if I'm moving it again unless I'm forced to, and then I suspect it'll go straight out the window!

TXD Turbo saloon needs shifting - fucking sharpish if my Mrs has any say :wink:
Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Feb 2010

jonathan_dyane wrote:If I get let down this weekend (again) my healthy TZD Turbo estate will be available...
Don't think Matt will be getting another BX actually. There's a possibility of a company car, and he's considering putting the GTV back on the road but I'll let him know anyhow mate thanks.
Marty wrote:TXD Turbo saloon needs shifting - fucking sharpish if my Mrs has any say
That all rather turned to shit aswell.. Hasn't Dave spoken to you? I'm still working on it though..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 23 Feb 2010

He mentioned that Nathan had something else - which now leaves me with a disgruntled wife and a BX shaped BX taking up space from Friday indefinitely. I mean if I could keep it I would, but you havent met my wife.... Plus she is suffering pretty major PMT this week....

My house is not a good place to be.

I think I should mention to hims about stuffing it on the bay of evail....
Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Feb 2010

Yes it all went a tad pear shaped. I guess I should have spoken to bro before assuming the staus quo remained..

I'm trying to find someone for it, I promised Dave I would.. but sadlt it seems most of the world has moved on and the only BX's people want these days are perfect examples.
That said I can see where they are coming from, I'm getting rather tired of spending more time under the bonnet than driving them..
Ao much so the valver will be off to pastures new once the various latest problems are sorted.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Feb 2010

What happened nothing more to do with other peoples BXs?
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 23 Feb 2010

docchevron132 wrote:.
Ao much so the valver will be off to pastures new once the various latest problems are sorted.
That's sad to hear Doc! :( I seem to remember you saying you wouldn't part with it for less than 20K and even then probably not. [no]

I guess the bus is turning you into a confirmed oil burner! :P Happy motoring though whatever you choose. :D :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 24 Feb 2010

Dont get me wrong, I dont really want to sell it, but it's not that cheap to run and despite rebuilding the fucking thing twice there's still stuff going wrong with it, and financially things are getting silly, I've been consistantly spending more than I earn for over a year, and that just cant go on. Whilst I used to fix a lot of cars and make a fair amount of cash from said, I'm too fucked to arse about with cars too much anymore, so a decent source of revenue is no longer there..
So it's all economics really. I simply couldn't get rid opf the red shed, however much it occasionally pisses me off, so the valver loses..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance