BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Petrol Pipes

Post by Way2go » 06 May 2010

I succeeded eventually in getting some steel Petrol Pipes from Citroen but they were shown as a diesel item on stock with apparently rubber pipes shown on the petrol according to the parts guy. He thought that they would be OK , can anyone confirm if there are any differences before I try to fit? (Flow pipe is larger dia than the return pipe.)
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Petrol Pipes

Post by docchevron132 » 06 May 2010

Petrol and diesel pipes are both steel, but are largely the same, you may have to trim down the tank end of the return pipe a tad, other than that, they'll go straight on.
Fiddly arse of a job at the tank end though..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 06 May 2010

diesel pipe is longer on the rise to the fuel tank. I trimmed arouns 3" out of mine to get it to fit.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 06 May 2010

I know this is a bit late and unhelpful but I've gone rubber all the way on the TD! Rubber FTW
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 May 2010

< big sigh shakes head> Butt plugs, Sheep and now into rubber :shock: [chin] I dunno really [no] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 07 May 2010

Philhod wrote:< big sigh shakes head> Butt plugs, Sheep and now into rubber :shock: [chin]
I just wish he could slip my rubber gaiter on.........come to that, I wish I could slip my rubber gaiter on :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 07 May 2010

Nuts to using genuine components.. 10mm and 8mm microbore copper pipework fit just beautifully in place of the flow and return pipes, and can be shaped by hand to fit. Much cheaper too.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 May 2010

Philhod wrote:< big sigh shakes head> Butt plugs, Sheep and now into rubber :shock: [chin] I dunno really [no] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I get bored easily and constantly need to explore more territory!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 07 May 2010

I've just bought some brand new genuine fuel pipes for £18 (I thought that was reasonable), to be installed when the good doctor puts a new floor in my car.
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 07 May 2010

David wrote:Nuts to using genuine components.. 10mm and 8mm microbore copper pipework fit just beautifully in place of the flow and return pipes, and can be shaped by hand to fit. Much cheaper too.
I did consider copper but whereas they may be ok in respect of diesel operation as this is not at high pressure in the lines, that is not the case for petrol which is pump pressurised in the flow line. Copper is softer and easily deforms under the clamp so the pipe/rubber interfaces may not stay petrol tight in normal use without extra attention.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

smiffy wrote:I've just bought some brand new genuine fuel pipes for £18 (I thought that was reasonable), to be installed when the good doctor puts a new floor in my car.
ROFLCOPTER.....................BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :lol: Does Doc know he's doing that yet!? He loves welding apparently! :shock:

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

What's the pressure in a petrol system w2g? It's not that high surely? :?

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 07 May 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:What's the pressure in a petrol system w2g? It's not that high surely? :?
Pretty sure it's a 3 bar FPR, so 3 bar / 45psi should be about right. Pressure wise the microbore would be fine, but i'm pretty sure i've read something somewhere about the hazards of mixing copper with petrol...? (brittleness over time perhaps)?
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 08 May 2010

I've used copper before, on petrol cars, including valvers, I think Kitch has too, never had a problem.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 08 May 2010

I've used 8 mm microbore before now :wink:

Only because I had no 6 mm though :P
Last edited by Philhod on 08 May 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

I just wish he could slip my rubber gaiter on..
Prefer a condom meself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 08 May 2010

Surely it's better without either?
Image Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Actually that reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago, apologies if I've told you it before. A mate was on a school camping trip where they were in their mid teens and just finding out about sex and the like. One of the lads was not very wordly wise so he asked one of the more experienced lads how to put a condom on. Not wanting to demonstrate it, the older lad told him to make sure it was all covered up to minimise the risk of pregnancy.
On the last night of the trip, the first lad was in with a chance to pop his cherry, when there was an almighty scream from his tent. Turned out he stretched out the ring of the condom, and let it snap over his bollocks as well, to 'cover it all up'!

Back OT, I don't see any reason why the copper microbore couldn't be flared out if the pressure was a problem. Wish I'd though of it though as I have loads of the stuff!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:lol: Yeah but yours will be 10mm Mat, they don't do the other 2 any more.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Nope, still got 8mm up to a couple of months back!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19525/Plu ... be-8mm-25m
:P
Image Image Image Image