BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Dim dip relay...

Post by mat_the_cat » 24 Aug 2010

...where is it?!
From what Doc has told me, and from what I can find on the net it should be either on the bulkhead near the rear washer bottle, or on the steering column under the dash. But not on mine! I figure there must be a fairly hefty resistor to look out for, and seeing as it has to dissipate around 30 watts of heat it would likely be mounted onto a metal panel.
If I have to trace the wires I will do but just wondered if anyone had found it in a different location, or could tell me what it looks like?

My cunning relay circuit helpfully illuminates the glow plug and ABS lights whenever headlights are on and engine off, so I reckon I need to remove the dim dip relay first!
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Dim dip relay...

Post by Vanny » 24 Aug 2010

the resistor is on the front crash panel, infront of the radiator.

Not sure about this realy of which you speak.

Have you looked at the wiring diagram? that will tell you the harness reference.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think I remember something back in the dim and distant past when I was fitting the air con. Something circular in a metal can held on with a spring clip.... Would make sense to put in in the air flow.
I'm not sure where I got the relay idea from either, must have read it somewhere.

Cheers, will have a gander later.
Image Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Sorted - the relay was by the washer bottle, although unplugging that or the resistor would have equally done the trick. My mistake was looking for a relay attached to a resistor, (wrongly) thinking they would be in the same place.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 25 Aug 2010

ahh no. See, the resisitor, ah well, yeah you said it above already, stuck down the front to keep the fucker cool, as is the fan resistor on cars with only one fan like..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 25 Aug 2010

These resistors (as fitted to all cits at this time late80's early 90's) are the biggest pile of poop ever. They actually make the light switches overheat in a 2CV. Junk them on anything you have, thats my tech tip for the day :)
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 25 Aug 2010

And replace them with what?
ImageImage

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

dont replace them, just wire them up as per the earlier BX's. Job jobbed. Its not been a legal requirement to have that dim/dip type thing for years.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Vanny
Site Admin

As per the earlier BX's? I don't understand, do they have them in series/parrallel or just not bother with side lights?
ImageImage

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Well, the way they work on a 2CV or CX is that you can remove them, bridge two wires and you still have main beam and normal beam and sidelights but without the corroded aluminium can putting larger loads than needed on aged wiring etc. Earlier cars didnt have them, they were only law that your headlights work that way in certain period late 80's thru early 90's so earlier and latest cars didnt have that part.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 25 Aug 2010

On the BX you can just remove the resistor or relay and have completely standard lights - it's an add on rather than a mod to the standard circuits.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Me thinks i need to go have a look at the wiring diagram!
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 25 Aug 2010

Look on page 281 8)

827 is the relay, 858 the resistor(s)
Image Image Image Image