BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Calling for Doctor diesel

Post by Philhod » 23 Sep 2010

:shock: I wasn't calling you retarded......I said you were a knob :lol: :lol: :lol:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 23 Sep 2010

Oh fuck off! :wink:

Seriously though, do you know the temperature the turbo gets to? I don't - all I know with any great accuracy is that the oil in the sump reaches about 130°C after a hard run, whereas if I keep it below 2000rpm (i.e. turbo hardly boosting) it will sit about 90°C.
So the turbo is getting to temperatures higher than 130°C during use, the exhaust manifold will be hotter still and with it being cast iron will keep the heat for a while. I don't know for certain if it ever would get to a high enough temperature to break down the oil, but it can't do any harm to let it idle for a while...

Do you reckon this engine needs to let the turbo cool down a bit? :shock:
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 23 Sep 2010

:shock: Fuck me! I've heard things can glow but I've never actually seen it! That did however sound awesome!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 Sep 2010

[chin] The exhaust gas temp is around 6 to 700 degrees on Diesels (roughly half of a petrol engine) They work differently too. The diesel puts a high volume of air through at low pressure, perhaps 6/8 psi and petrol around 15 psi but a much lower volume. About 90% of the exit temp dissipates into the surrounding metalwork. Theoretically it loses 10 degrees per inch but that is totally dependent on where it is situated and the materials used, ie cast iron or fabbed up tube. The residual heat does dissipate rather quickly where air flows around the unit, remember the air end of the shaft has a (usually) aluminium compressor and ally is fully melted at 650 degrees and starts to go critical at about 420.
So given this info I would imagine that the casting could well be about 200 degrees in the oil chamber and then cooling down to general engine temp as it makes it's way through the system.
I've never checked running engine oil temperatures Mat but I can't see it getting over a hundred. Even ATF only reaches about 150, worked very hard.
They used to fit oil temp gauges and I seem to recollect they went from 0-100. but I may be mistaken.
Does anyone else have any data???

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 23 Sep 2010

I've got an oil temperature gauge - I took the instruments from a valver about 6 years ago. So I know what temperatures my oil has been running, which does seem surprisingly high when I use the turbo a lot.
After I changed from the TD aluminium sump to the valver sump (slightly finned) it runs about 10°C cooler in normal driving (90-100°C)
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 24 Sep 2010

I can get ATF to well over 200 deg C. :mrgreen: Not in my bus, but ya know..

BTW, how the fuck do you guys get the posh arse fucking DEG sign on teh screen?

Oh, and my mate has a seriousley arsed about with Landrover and varies the boost and fuelling when the exhaust temp hits 800 deg C. He's had it over 1000 deg C, and melted the turbo!
Tis a er, diesel.. 2.5 I think, dunno, but it's fucking insane and I will NEVER get in it again.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 24 Sep 2010

It's ALT & 2 4 8 to get ° on the screen, given what I do for a living it's something I use *quite* often...
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

AHHH! Is there a handy chart for the ALT shit?
I now know ° and di know the E for Citron but have seemingly just forgotten it!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 24 Sep 2010

Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

you iz great so you iz!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

♥ infact!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 24 Sep 2010

:lol: :lol: Well I wouldn't go THAT far, but ta anyway. I didn't know anything about alt, I usually leave those keys alone that I don't know what they are for, coz I'm very good at fucking things up like that :)

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 24 Sep 2010

Philhod wrote:I usually leave those keys alone that I don't know what they are for, coz I'm very good at fucking things up like that
Reference to Handy Chart as per the Doctors request!

You can copy & paste a plethora of characters and symbols from the Character Map (All Programs ► Accessories ► System Tools ► Character Map) which will show all fonts and characters available.

This degree ° comes out of the Courier set and Courier seems compatable with the forum but not all fonts seem to be supported on here so you will need to suck it and see.
The short code is also marked against each of the characters in the maps ie this ° is Alt+0176 but unless it is a symbol you are using regularly its probably easier to browse the characters then select, copy and paste them.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 24 Sep 2010

Well yeah I've done all that but I get a box up on mine that allows you to select and copy.
Does that just mean into any document I'm writing? Can I not put selected ones somewhere near, like a bookmark or something, coz it's a bit of a pain having to do all that every time I want to use one. I've just started a course with a Swedish uni, that will require me to write answers in Swedish and I would like,ö,å, and ä to be handy.

Err....I'll tell you what I'll shut up now, as the character map has just positioned it'self handily in the systems tray at the bottom :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: