BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Re: Air conditioning...

Post by Fish_Botherer » 11 Oct 2010

I wouldn't dispute the lack of connection between compressor and ventilation blower- the controls certainly are quite separate and independent.

Consider my earlier comments as a bit of a random walk - I'm not really sure where my mind was going earlier today. I've just had a week of the nastiest chest infection I've had for years - so thinking of things much beyond breathing and coughing my guts up is still something of a novelty.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 11 Oct 2010

I checked the operation of mine earlier today - the fans continue to operate even when the pressure switch is disconnected and hence has no path to earth.
So as Vanny has already said, the compressor isn't getting its supply (but I bet it needs a charge too).
Last edited by mat_the_cat on 12 Oct 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 12 Oct 2010

Fish_Botherer wrote: I've just had a week of the nastiest chest infection I've had for years - so thinking of things much beyond breathing and coughing my guts up is still something of a novelty.
My condolances, I've had a cold / infection for over two weeks now, even smoking is a serious problem (which for me means I'm fucking ill, so much so I bought some menthol fags yesterday)..

I know the system either has low gas, or no gas at all, the previous owner told us that much.
Never worked since he bought the car, and most likely a good while before that aswell.

I dont actually know if the fans work or not, but assume they do, Smiffy hasn't said any different.

So, in short then, since the fans dont come on when the AC is switched on, and there is no click form the compressor it clearly needs gassing, probably a new drier, maybe a condensor?

I'm a bit confused on the fan issue here. Mat, you're saying the fans do still come on when the AC is switched in regardless of whether the compressor kicks in?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 12 Oct 2010

docchevron132 wrote:Mat, you're saying the fans do still come on when the AC is switched in regardless of whether the compressor kicks in?
Yes, at least with the (original) wiring for my system. If the set up is the same as mine the situation should be as follows:
Engine normal temperature, AC off - no fans
Engine normal temperature, AC on - both fans slow (regardless of whether A/C works...)
Engine hot, AC off - both fans slow
Engine hot, AC on - both fans slow
Engine very hot, and/or AC high pressure - both fans fast
Image Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 12 Oct 2010

Sorry for the misleading information I gave yesterday- I checked it again on my way to work this morning, with the engine cold.
The rad fans only come on when the compressor kicks in. But if the system is low on pressure, the fans will still come on even though the compressor won't.

I think yesterday the fans were running continuously due to the engine temperature...
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 12 Oct 2010

right, ta. Thats a good starting point at least!
Best go check the fans before getting involved with gas filling at wotnot!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 17 Oct 2010

Thanks for the best wishes & hope yours is clearing up now doc - I've been a lot better this week.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Oct 2010

I'm still a bit shitty, although I smoke lots, and that doesn't tend to help really!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 17 Oct 2010

I'm still a bit shitty,
:oops: No I won't go there :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 18 Oct 2010

We had a little look at the sight glass in the reciever/dryer, and it appears to be cracked. Have bought a new dryer on the bay for just £8, and I'm waiting for it to arrive.
Cooling fans don't appear to be doing much, but I've not tested them yet.
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 18 Oct 2010

Philhod wrote:
:oops: No I won't go there :roll:
Unusually, you haven't been here much lately either! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 18 Oct 2010

smiffy wrote:Have bought a new dryer on the bay for just £8
That's a bloody good price - I paid £30-£40 last time for mine so I will grab one for myself too as a spare!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 18 Oct 2010

Jesus !! all this for air con and winter drawing on......open a feckin window. :lol:
Unusually, you haven't been here much lately either!
If you read "wiered day" from last week that may explain W2G. After the meeting and I found out what they want against what they need, it's meant quite a bit of work, including sourcing stuff I no longer have direct access to.
However most is sorted now but still a lot to do in a short time. [clap]
TBH W2G. This last few months, in spite of the BX rebuild and starting the bike I've become a bit bored with everything and I'm hoping this venture takes off and am therefore, giving them every chance. Although the money will be nice,
It's more a case of being responsible for something again. :roll: [coat]

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 18 Oct 2010

I just posted a reply about a plan coming together on your other thread but this sounds as if the bigger plan is set to become a reality and I am pleased for you.
Work gives us that regular interaction with others and as you intimate a sense of purpose that can be satisfying as well as staving off boredom.

Are you a sole bidder in this enterprise Phil or are you up against competition or perhaps a tender process?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 19 Oct 2010

I'm finding out more about the outfit as I go. They have 2 operations going,
Gray's college which mainly covers higher education and management quals.
Then they have a newish enterprise WAHA training, which is to do with vocational and technical training.
They are an accredited centre but have brought in "consultants" (I have a new title) to organise and deliver either fixed length courses such as a basic hydraulics programme of 12 weeks costing 35 grand, up to bespoke training of length determined by the requirements of the client at a cost to be agreed under specific service level agreements. Sort of anything from 10 days to 8 weeks. There are other suppliers in both countries but not offering anything like the breadth of operations we can.
Looks like we will be off to Libya first, around the 5th Nov, so will have a lot more idea of what they want then. Colin, who has been designated principle, tonight, issued us with a brochure they have compiled with our mugs on as section consultants, asking for comments/ suggestions to fill it out more.
I have learned who all the directors are now and also who the other consultants are. The guy they have on construction I know quite well but none of the others, who seem to be doctorates and Phd's etc. So they are obviously serious enough. [chin]

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 19 Oct 2010

Well kids, I'm having a barrel of laughs finding, all the extra spurious wiring that previous owners have put on this car!
Tonight, I've found a remote fitting flasher unit???? I can't immagine why, but it's mounted to the underside of the tray where the digital clock is.
Needless to say, that will be removed, along with the curious toggle switch fitted in the tray where the rear fog light switch is, that powers the radio.
By the time I'm finished, the only extra wiring in the car, will be to power the coolant, and oil temp gauges, and the oil pressure gauge.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Oct 2010

broke the speedo aswell!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 19 Oct 2010

That wasn't as disconcerting as getting down to cullimore's yard, and finding that the fukin indicators didn't work! Got down to michael wood, and shut the car off, and worked the central locking, to find that the indicators flash, so that ruled out the fuse, so I then took out the clock tray, and found thie blue relay which I didn't know the purpose of, had a wire off....which when put back made it all work properly. I can't immagine why it's even there...

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 19 Oct 2010

Its part of a very very old alarm system i would imagine.

Be careful Smiffy, people do some fantastically werid things to vehicle wiring, and if your not going to trace all the wires back to source, then make sure you check all the basic electrics everytime you remove something.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 19 Oct 2010

:) Electrickery....bah! Humbuggery! :wink: