BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Bitron.............sci-fi con

Post by Vanny » 28 Jan 2011

Bx Bandit wrote:Why did you do it rather than use a standard BX set-up?

The three letters of DEATH;

FDV
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Jan 2011

Never had much trouble with FDV's...
One had a weep, and another failed altogether, but in the many thousands of miles I've done, and the number of BX's I've worked on, that aint bad darts.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 28 Jan 2011

I must say I've not had much bother with them - but I think I've been fortunate.

Aside from any FDV and alternator advantages, another consideration was to re-mount the air filter box more or less where the existing LHM tank is, mostly to get rid of that ludicrousv inlet pipe that twists and bends and goes across the top of the rad toward the turbo. Re-mount lhm tank on the bulk head like the Xantia, ditch the octopus (which I want to do anyway) and re-pipe. This would mean using the Xantia/XM 6+2 pump setup. Not all bad or masses of work IMO, but is gain from moving the air filter box really that much???? Every little helps!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Jan 2011

depends what you want to gain I guess.
In terms of space, yeah, win, but in terms of power, wont make any difference at all.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 29 Jan 2011

just a bit, a teeny weeny bit? You're probably right mate. I think if I was going for the bigger turbo and bigger exhaust approach there'd be more to gain but this hardly high performance motoring is it!

On that note, the XM seems comparatively asthmatic compared to the Xantia and that was bad enough - there's hardly owt above 3andabit000
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 29 Jan 2011

[chin] I would have thought you would have had increasing power to about 4K, then coming back a bit to about 42000 [chin]
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Jan 2011

since it works on free air, and lets face the inlet atmospheric side of the induction system is anything but strangled I canr see how it would make any difference at all really mate.
You'd gain a shit load more by sticking a K&N filter on the fucker, but then you'd look like a gay...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 29 Jan 2011

:lol: :lol: :lol: gay possibly, but one of them 'fit in the existing air box' filters would suffice I rekon! At £40 odd it ain't gonna happen soon, but I'd rekon it'd make a noticeable difference.

Mr D Rutherford had a 16v box fitted to the TZD and I remember thinking 'this bitch can breathe' but once I noticed it was a 16v I took it off for my 16v (which needed it) and stuck a trad TD back box on. Seriously, you could notice the drop, not necessarily in performance per se, but def breathabi;ity........................gotta go pee, back now

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Jan 2011

huh? the 16v air box is no different in terms of how much air it can movethan a standard TD box.

I put a oiled high flow on the diesel when it was a 19NA. It made not even 0,1HP difference!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 30 Jan 2011

:lol: correctamundo.

No Doc the figures I was mooting are what it should be pulling. If it's running out of steam at 3K then it aint breathing rite somehoo. Or it's under injecting/ out of calibration.
I had some success with a 1600 Orion diesel. I cut a slot in the bonnet and welded a scoop to it. Picked the air direct from there and fitted the 1800 plenum with central inlet instead of the 1600 side entry one.
I never checked it with any measuring equipment but got another 12 mph out of it and it seemed to be quicker off the mark.
Mind you anything would have been an improvement on that :P Although it never let me down and did nearly 60 mpg.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Jan 2011

docchevron132 wrote:huh? the 16v air box is no different in terms of how much air it can movethan a standard TD box.

I put a oiled high flow on the diesel when it was a 19NA. It made not even 0,1HP difference!
exhaust box mate, the last one, not air filter box - sorry didn't make that clear.

Isn't a high flow oiled one more or less the same as the k&n jobby? I wouldn't put a cone jobby on - the type to replace the whole box

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Jan 2011

oh right, sorry, yes, that'll make a difference fo shizzle.
Removing the mid box and replacing with a devil pipe gives 5 BHP at the wheels, effectively for free!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Jan 2011

Err yeah that's what came over to me as well :oops: Exhaust mods FTW

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Jan 2011

Devil pipe........ :lol: :lol: :lol: Is it really known as that? I presume a bit of flexi doe's the job ok dood.........or I could practice me welding on making summat up [chin]

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 31 Jan 2011

Bx Bandit wrote:or I could practice me welding on making summat up [chin]
What, like this?
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Cheeky! For some reason I got it in my head that you'd to put the box back on for MOT but that's a load of bolx I guess?

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Jan 2011

It really is called a devil pipe, just a loop pipe so that you can use standard intermediate pipe and back box.
Makes no difference to noise, and free's up the exhaust.

Technically it should fail the MoT if there's an exhaust hangar with nothing attached to it.. but no-one ever does.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Ooooh, I'll make a devil pipe then! 8) 8) :twisted:

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 31 Jan 2011

Dunno about the loop pipe, but the straight through section I made up gave quite an increase in noise, a bit too 'big bore chav like' for my tastes. I would expect the gas flow to be better than the looped pipe as it would have to change direction 4 times rather than just go straight - maybe the bends help reduce the sound?

As it happens my rear exhaust is all rusted through so I'll be (temporarily at least) going back to a standard system, and will report back on the difference in powah. I certainly reckoned the turbo spooled up quicker with the straight pipe.
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Feb 2011

Removing the cross box will allow it to exhale quicker, so yeah the turbo can spool up quicker.
The removal of the back box seems to makr the biggest difference to the sound.
When my back box ....err, fell off, I stuck a short piece of pipe pointing down out of the cross box and fook it was loud :)